• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chinese Food? Italian Food? Greek Food? etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't survive without a good dose of Chinese food on a pretty regular basis. In town there is a little Chinese take out place that has a few acceptable offerings but for the most part it is very "Americanized" Chinese food. But I like the real stuff.

So a week ago we drove up to Chinatown after one of my daughter's volleyball matches (her team lost) and we had the other coach and her daughter with us. Up to one of our favorite Dim Sum joints for food and I think we sort of amazed this woman who was with us as we ordered multiple varieties of squid, eggplants, tripe, various filled dumplings, etc. All told there were probably a dozen different dishes on our table.

For those of you not lucky enough to have restaurants that serve Dim Sum it is sort of like a Chinese version of a smorgasbord (sp) only all the food is on mobile carts and served in small portions. So waitresses push carts to your table, each cart will have 1 or 2 selections of food on small plates, usually there is about an "appetizer" sized portion on the plate. There may be a dozen carts being pushed around the room at any given time.

Anyway, after leaving the restaurant, we went to one of the Chinese BBQ joints and got a whole Chinese smoked duck (not a Peiking duck), some Chinese ribs and some crackled pork . . .all packed in tins to take home Then off to a noodle soup place for a couple different soups with udon noodles --we order it deconstructed so the noodles don't turn pasty while we drive home, we then put it together at home and turn it into meals. Then off to the Chinese bakery (OK we actually went to 3 differnet ones) and got bags of stuff from each.

Now let me just say we are white people and even if you count the tourists, we often venture into places where we are the ONLY white folk in the place. I took my brother & his family to one of our favorite spots one day, I think that day will never be forgotten by them as one of the worst days of their life. . . I'm thinking they were overwhelmed and were not big fans of the food especially considering my sister in law and my niece ONLY ate the white rice that we had to special order for them. But we just love the food!!!

Anyone else have any food that they just can't live without??? Indian food with yogurt and curry? A good Tapas spread? Mussels marinaria? What trips your trigger?

Last edited:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I like the adventure and culinary choice, but when did you get to EAT!!! That's MY favorite part!! Sounds like you spent half the evening gathering the "Goodies".

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
General Tso's chicken (chinese) is my favorite, local Hing Wang serves the BEST.........In Cheswick for the W PA folks.

Love soul food too, when I was in Loozyanna I frequented a resturant that I never saw another white folk like myself in. Red beans and sausage with any kind of greens! Anything smothered.........:)

Next up would be Cajun, you can't beat a good seafood gumbo or etouffe. Sauce piquante is best with wild game and crawfish boiled by a real coonass is outta this world!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I usually have chinese once a week and mexican a couple times per week. We have great carryout for each near the office. For dining out we like to head downtown (Chicago) and head over to Greek Town to The Parthenon or Greek Islands. Good friends good food and good spirits. Ribs, Italian....hmmm...I guess I just like food.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboyjg said:
I like the adventure and culinary choice, but when did you get to EAT!!! That's MY favorite part!! Sounds like you spent half the evening gathering the "Goodies".

EATING is the best part. But we started out eating at the Dim Sum place. After we were stuffed with a good wide assortment, THEN we went shopping for take home food!

Big Dog said:
Love soul food too, when I was in Loozyanna I frequented a resturant that I never saw another white folk like myself in. Red beans and sausage with any kind of greens! Anything smothered.........:)

I'm not big on soul food, but I do love some of the comfort foods that overlap with the southern black soul foods. And ribs. Oh man there are some amazing rib joints in some questionable parts of town that are worth the trip to get. I do get cravings for "Kenny's Ribs" every now and again. But Chinese is still the #1 choice for me.

Cajun is pretty amazing food and I love New Orleans for the complexity of the foods available down there. Mix French cooking with some swamp found ingredients and add spices from the carribean and WOW that is some damn good food.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm, my favorite (and I eat it regularly).

MEAT, POTATOS. Done.

Throw me a 16+ oz ribeye, T-bone, porterhouse... and a pile of potatos.
Load with salt and pepper. Obviously butter on the potatos.

Put it down with 32 oz of milk (or beer, depending on the day and company).

I'm happier than a pig in ....

Green is normally considered a garnish. If at a resturant, I'll choke down the obligatory rabbit food salad. At home, I'll eat fresh peas or such but absolutely nothing green out of a can.

AndyM

Charter Member
Doc said:
Sounds interesting Bob. I love chinese food (more the Americanized version I'd guess) General TSO, Schezwon Chicken & Shrimp, Pepper Chicken, and Lemon Chicken. My Favorites all at different restaurants. And I can't get General TSO at the Lemon Chicken place or any of the others. it's just not the same.

Doc,
I highly recommend the Chinese Buffet next to Toys R Us, in front of the Grand Central Mall. We make a point of eating there any time we're in Parkersburg. We haven't tried any of the other buffets in town, so let me know if there's a better one!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds interesting Bob. I love chinese food (more the Americanized version I'd guess) General TSO, Schezwon Chicken & Shrimp, Pepper Chicken, and Lemon Chicken. My Favorites all at different restaurants. And I can't get General TSO at the Lemon Chicken place or any of the others. it's just not the same.

One other of my favs Skyline Chili. A 3 way with hot sause and garlic bread. ummm umm good. Took my brother there once. He got quite a chuckle from me wearing the bib. :)

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
General Tso's chicken (chinese) is my favorite, local Hing Wang serves the BEST.........In Cheswick for the W PA folks.

Next up would be Cajun, you can't beat a good seafood gumbo or etouffe. Sauce piquante is best with wild game and crawfish boiled by a real coonass is outta this world!

Almost forgot......When I was shooting skeet competitively and traveling all over the south my goal was to find the best Chile Rellenos (mexican). The winner was Maharita's in Fort Worth, making my mouth water!

Prime Rib......de Sha's in Maysville, KY

Rib eye........ Cowboy cut (bone in) at Tumbleweed chain!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You white boys don't know what your are missing until you have my wife's pig knuckles and chitlins. If any of you white boys want to come over just give us a few days notice to get the hogs out of the house and the picnic table in. Just don't start cracking any Amos and Andy jokes......

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
You white boys don't know what your are missing until you have my wife's pig knuckles and chitlins. If any of you white boys want to come over just give us a few days notice to get the hogs out of the house and the picnic table in. Just don't start cracking any Amos and Andy jokes......

Fried pork cracklins (appetizer) and boiled peanuts (snack) would go with that, um um..............I'm serious they both are good, gotta have some soul...:coolshade

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Fried pork cracklins (appetizer) and boiled peanuts (snack) would go with that, um um..............I'm serious they both are good, gotta have some soul...:coolshade

I'm not a fan of the boiled peanuts but I love pork craklins!!!

And being a south sider (south side of Chicago) we practically grew up on pigs nuckles, pickled! Heck we used to sell them in gallon jars and they were sold at the local taverns, along with pickled eggs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Bob, I lived at 57th and Artesian (Western Ave) when I was a little kid.

I lived in Whiting for a couple years, and grew up in Calumet City, then Munster. Had all sorts of friends scattered on the south side up to maybe 87th street near the old Wisconsin Steel, down into Hegewish, Cal City, So Holland. In high school my friends went to school at Thorton Fractional South, Thornwood, Marian Catholic, etc.

I don't get to Greek Town/Halsted St. too often but love the Greek Islands. It is just that I don't "crave" Greek food the same way I "crave" Chinese foods. But I love to eat and Chicago is a great restaurant city. One place I've never been to is Charlie Trotter's. I'd love to go but just never made it. He has, on a couple occasions, been voted the best chef in the world, the country, etc. His restaurant is typically rated the best in the city and always in the top 5 in the world. Still haven't made it there. I don't know why!!! When I travel I actually pick out restaurants in the destination city that I want to eat at, often making reservations a month in advance. But we have one of the world's best at our doorstep and I can't find the time to get there?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Chicago is fantastic when it comes to food! Lawrys, Magnums, Topolobampo/Frontera Grill, Charlie Trotters....all of it.

But ya know what just might be the absolute best Chicago food (besides Giordanos Pizza)?

An Italian Beef and Sausage combo served dipped in juice with hot Gardinera peppers on top.

I have NEVER been able to find a decent version outside of the Tri-state area.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, I can't find a decent hot dog or polish sausage outside of the metro area either. The whole world eats those little Oscar Meyer hot dogs, or those Nathan's Famous dogs.

Give me a Best Kosher, a Hebrew National or a Vienna all beef hot dog or polish on a poppy seed bun, double onions, relish, cucumber slice, sport peppers, celery salt, thin tomato wedge and mustard. Damn good meal. And THAT is how hot dogs are supposed to be made!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Heck, I can't find a decent hot dog or polish sausage outside of the metro area either. The whole world eats those little Oscar Meyer hot dogs, or those Nathan's Famous dogs.

Give me a Best Kosher, a Hebrew National or a Vienna all beef hot dog or polish on a poppy seed bun, double onions, relish, cucumber slice, sport peppers, celery salt, thin tomato wedge and mustard. Damn good meal. And THAT is how hot dogs are supposed to be made!!!

Visit Pittsburgh!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
Asian Indian Food anyone?? Northern.yum.

We just went to the local Indian festival at their local cultural center. I liked some of the food, disliked a great deal of it. I've got a friend from India and when she comes to town I do offer to take her to one of the local Indian restaurants, but I'll admit that its not really my type of food. Not much to sink my teeth into. I like the exotic flavors and the mix of textures but overall I'm not thrilled with mushed chickpea(garbanzo beans) in the form of hummus, or some of the yogurt based sauces. Its OK, but not what I really ever have much of a taste for.

WHAT am I missing? I can't believe I've tried a wide variety, but I've gone to a couple Indian restaurants but don't really have the depth of knoweldge I need to pass an informed judgement. You obviously like something there, what is it? What's it taste like? Etc.

Big Dog said:
Visit Pittsburgh

I did. You are kidding right? I actually had the chance to get the license for a Pittsburgh (actually West Mifflin, PA) based hot dog receipe and I pass on it. It was horrible (at least by our standards in Chicago, the hot dog capital of the world). Its from the Sub-Express/Pizza Primo organization, the owners of that company are great people, friends of mine, and I sell their pizza and sub stuff. But the dogs? Eichh, pew, aaarrgh! JMHO

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I like Chinese, and have had real Chinese, or Oriental. Some friends were from Hong Kong, best "egg rolls" I ever had. Now what we have here is Americanized as Bob stated, but it is good. When I eat it, I EAT it.

Great thing about being a guest in the home of someone Oriental...........you are KING. I was greeted by the lady of the house, seated, and a refreshment was on its way. When dinner was served, we sat on the floor, meals prepared right beside us. Very wonderful people! I could not partake of the Saki though, dont know when to say when

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
I could not partake of the Saki though, dont know when to say when

I've never tried it, but wonder if the stories about it being so strong are acurate. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?

My favorite Greek restaurant was in Cols, but it closed. :(
They made the besst Gyro's!!! I've never found one to match it, and I've tried.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Give me a Best Kosher, a Hebrew National or a Vienna all beef hot dog or POLISH on a poppy seed bun, double onions, relish, cucumber slice, sport peppers, celery salt, thin tomato wedge and mustard. Damn good meal. And THAT is how hot dogs are supposed to be made!!!

Sorry, guess all I saw was polish and I consider Kielbasa on a hotdog bun with saurkraut and the fixxin's a hotdog!

BTW.....There ia a hotdog shop in Duquesne (suburb) that has a sauce for their hot dogs that is renowned. Can't remember the name, it was near the industrial training center and we visited once a year when attending annual asbestos training.....your right, nothing like a good hotdog!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
I've never tried it, but wonder if the stories about it being so strong are acurate. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?

Drinking Saki is like a really sexy woman using a feather covered cattle prod for foreplay. It's all fun & games until she pushes the button.

:gun1::gun1:

OregonAlex

B_Skurka said:
WHAT am I missing? I can't believe I've tried a wide variety, but I've gone to a couple Indian restaurants but don't really have the depth of knoweldge I need to pass an informed judgement. You obviously like something there, what is it? What's it taste like? Etc.

yes.. I guess you have to know what to get.

Try the following.. make sure it is Northern Indian.. not Southern.
then ask for the

Chicken Vindaloo
get some Naan with it.. I like the Onion or the Garlic.
If you like very spicy food, chicken, potato's, peas, you will like this. Definately something to sink your teeth into.
Make sure you dont drink too much water. This wont cool you down. Instead mix the food with the rice. Eat rice to cool off and it will get the oil off your tongue. The water will do nothing for you. Not sure what kind of Indian food they have in your area, but my experience in trying Indian food in tourist areas has been very poor. If they don't offer that and can't make it very spice, don't bother. Most tourist places won't offer it because it is not bland enough. ;-) Its kind of like getting hot wings at Denny's and hoping to get something that will blow you away.. not gonna happen. Know what I mean? If you ever find yourself on the west coast, preferably with a large asian population like Silicon Valley, head to the where all the local Asians go. Kind of like your Chinese food example.. I absolutely hate American style Chinese food. Deep fried this, deep fried that, pork this, gloo slime that. Some people love it.. not me. Real Chinese food, like Dim Sum style, is a completely different story. The places where you don't get a private booth but feel like you are sitting in a cafeteria sharing a table with people you don't know and have no sense of personal space and you are the minority because you are the only one that can speak english. I can't get enough of that. Unfortunately, I can only get it when I am in Silicon Valley and need to bring a friend that half way speak Chinese because they don't understand me there.... Nothing up here in Portland. Even the Indian places are a bit weak.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my salesmen showed up at the office with a white bag and left it on my desk.

An order of "RIB TIPS" from Kenny's BBQ in Gary, IN. OH MAN I AM IN HEAVEN NOW!

He and I got into a discussion last week about race and food. He is a black man. He and I both like Chinese food. Somehow he got into trouble at a Soul Food restaruant when he said he wanted to get Chinese. I asked him why I could say "Chinese Food" and it is not racial, but when I say "Black Food" it is? Long story short, he doesn't know. He also says there is a difference between "black food" like BBQ ribs and "soul food" which is southern black comfort food.

Anyway, I'm not going to post for awhile. I'll be eating!:coolshade

OkeeDon

I'm originally from Pittsburgh and the only decent food was chipped ham from Isaly's, cooked in a bbq sauce and served like a sloppy joe.

Chinese? I crave House Fried Rice, which is fried rice with anything they find in the kitchen thrown in, especially tiny bits of pork, chicken, beef, shrimp and veggies. The best in town in our area actually comes from a Vietnamese take-out joint.

Italian, any pasta, but only with my own red gravy. I especially like it with chunks of hot sausage.

Since I can no longer eat any canned or processed box foods without blowing my sodium limits, we've been using the slow cooker to come up with a lot of bean-based dinners. My favorite is still Boston style, but we've done some interesting things. Usually without meat or with a little bit of lean pork.

But, when we go to a restaurant, I judge it by their baby back ribs and their fried onion appetizers, whether onion loafs, blooms, rings, straws or whatever. If they do ribs and onions right, then everything else falls into place.

Because of the diet, I'm working on liking fish better, It's a struggle. I usually only eat saltwater shellfish -- I absolutely feel heaven with some Boston fried clams.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Junk, when the misses sees your avatar, you will be tarred and feathered chicken. BTW who is that?