• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got robbed today-neighbor held 1 at gunpoint

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as the title says we got robbed today. Went out at lunch with my daughter and the robbery took place while we were gone.

Being lazy the alarm was off. Let that be a lesson you all learn from my experiences as we were only gone 90 minutes. Very little was taken but they did get a few nice watches, one pistol, 2 laptops. Fortunately they were caught in the act by several neighbors. Could have gotten a lot more if they had the time to finish.

One was caught. An urban youth type. 2 others are being sought. One neighbor chased after the get away car at 100mph before giving up. The one left behind was caught by another neighbor who held him at gunpoint with the assistance of 2 other neighbors. The caught guy gave up his accomplices. Police are looking for the other 2 and have names/addresses of the suspects. The sheriff said there is a modest chance of getting some stuff back because of the capture of the one guy.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks! Hope they get what's coming to them. A good baseballbat to the kneecaps does wonders to punks like that.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You have good neighbor's,invite them over on the 4th of July for steaks.:biggrin:

Good to hear no one who helped you got hurt:clap:,around here seems the criminals are all armed and dangerous(sometimes illegal aliens).

hope you get your stuff back,especially that pistol......

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
you have my heartfelt sympathy - during construction we were broken into 3 times.
a couple years before that a friend of mine was broken into and lost some cash, her TV & VCR, & some other miscellaneous items.
never a good thing.

SShepherd

There's onlt 2 things I hate more than a theif !!!!

I'm glad one of the bastards got caught. 90min ? they must have been casing your place.
I hope you get your stuff back.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks Bob!!
I thought you and the family lived out in the sticks away from those sorts.
Yes, I know that doesn't matter a bit.
It's a good thing you have good neighbours around you.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, consider yourself lucky!

I got hit for $14K in 96'. Electronics and guns, not a fun time.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as the title says we got robbed today. Went out at lunch with my daughter and the robbery took place while we were gone.

Being lazy the alarm was off. Let that be a lesson you all learn from my experiences as we were only gone 90 minutes. Very little was taken but they did get a few nice watches, one pistol, 2 laptops. Fortunately they were caught in the act by several neighbors. Could have gotten a lot more if they had the time to finish.

One was caught. An urban youth type. 2 others are being sought. One neighbor chased after the get away car at 100mph before giving up. The one left behind was caught by another neighbor who held him at gunpoint with the assistance of 2 other neighbors. The caught guy gave up his accomplices. Police are looking for the other 2 and have names/addresses of the suspects. The sheriff said there is a modest chance of getting some stuff back because of the capture of the one guy.
That does suck and is scary at the same time . Great your neighbors not only were around but took action to stop the bastards .

If I were you I would sure beef up security , as I'm assuming it was your home broken into . Now they know the layout that is very valuable information they might share with others while incarcerated , Everyone gets out at some point . :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They came through a large window.

There will be 3M Security Film installed on all the windows soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk"]YouTube - ‪3M Security Window Film Demo‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrB5TSpAgE&"]YouTube - ‪Break In Challenge - Axe Murderer‬‏[/ame]

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
They came through a large window.

There will be 3M Security Film installed on all the windows soon.
WOW Thats perty impresive stuff , I had never heard about that before . I would be curious to know the cost as I could see putting it on for wind or hail damage as well . Great idea MD . :biggrin:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What a PITA! You mean the lhasa apso didn't scare them off? :poke:

I've always thought good neighbors are the best security.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The window film cost me about $1000 to install at one of my stores, the store is a full wall of glass.

As for the dogs. The little dog was terrorized and found cowering in a corner. They used concrete blocks on the big dog. . . she is traumatized but OK. They used the concrete landscape blocks from a planter to back her into a room and then closed the door.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
The window film cost me about $1000 to install at one of my stores, the store is a full wall of glass.

As for the dogs. The little dog was terrorized and found cowering in a corner. They used concrete blocks on the big dog. . . she is traumatized but OK. They used the concrete landscape blocks from a planter to back her into a room and then closed the door.
Thanks MD , I been looking at it since you posted it and its also suposed to really good at keeping the heat out . Well worth the money for my needs .

Sorry to here about the dogs also but glad they wern't hurt . :flowers:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to here about the dogs also but glad they wern't hurt . :flowers:

Yup. My daughter was in tears as we were driving back home (got a call while we were on our way). She feared the worst.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow. Talk about kickin' a man when he's down ... :biggrin:
I figured Bob would have mentioned something about them so I had to take the chance. :shifty:

Ultimately, the loss of goods is tolerable and I'm glad his daughter wasn't home alone when this happened.

These guys must have had your place staked out or they were going door to door. Do the neighbors have any idea why they picked your house?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sheriff thinks they were going door to door.

There has been a string of robberies in the general area (within a 2 mile radius I didn't know about) and its suspected these 3 are the culprits in most/all of them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, Sorry to hear that Bob. Glad you all were not home, but they were probably waiting for you to leave. Do you think you passed them on your way away from home? Glad they caught them already. That is one good thing that came from all of this.

SShepherd

They used concrete blocks on the big dog

ok, that even disgusts me more. I'd be sure to let these walking skin graft donators to be looking over their shoulders when they get out:furious:

can you link me to the 3m stuff you have? I'll call on it today to get it installed. Cowboy, the hail thing got me thinking about my skylights

jwstewar

Just out of curosity, do you have the signs up that say you have an alarm system? When we had our alarm installed last year after Mom & Dad's and then a cousin's house was broken into (cousin's house house was 2 times in 2 days second while they were home), I at first said no, but then the guy talked me into putting one at each door. My thinking is I don't want them to know I have the alarm so they know to defeat it before they enter, once they trip it, it is too late. Do you normally set it when you leave for a short time? How did they know it wasn't set this time?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Since you are considering a fencing project in the future, I would urge you to consider a gated entrance too. I never get anyone knocking on my door any more. They have to disregard the No Trespassing and Beware of Dog signs to get to my place. I also don't have a call box or anything that makes it easy for someone to "test" and see if I am home. I think the vigilant Pitador is an added deterrent too but I know dogs aren't real security.

While the gated entrance and full perimeter fencing was expensive and a lot of work, I am often thankful I did it.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
While the gated entrance and full perimeter fencing was expensive and a lot of work, I am often thankful I did it.

I agree with this. We originally put up a perimiter fence that includes the immediate three acres around our house with the intention of keeping our dogs out of the road. Only later did we realize how great the fence is at keeping other animals (and people) away from our house. We have a gate across our driveway which will become automated later this year (at my wife's request).

SShepherd

Since you are considering a fencing project in the future, I would urge you to consider a gated entrance too. I never get anyone knocking on my door any more. They have to disregard the No Trespassing and Beware of Dog signs to get to my place. I also don't have a call box or anything that makes it easy for someone to "test" and see if I am home. I think the vigilant Pitador is an added deterrent too but I know dogs aren't real security.

throw in some mines, and a moat filled with sharks with lasers on their heads for the trifecta !

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear this Bob.

On that 3M film, isn't there some notifications of its installation that need to be made? I was thinking that you had to let the police and fire departments know in the event they needed to get in should there be a fire or something.

Also, I don't know if the energy tax credits are in effect for 2011 but in the past few years, that film qualified for the rebate (similar to insulation and such).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with this. We originally put up a perimiter fence that includes the immediate three acres around our house with the intention of keeping our dogs out of the road. Only later did we realize how great the fence is at keeping other animals (and people) away from our house. We have a gate across our driveway which will become automated later this year (at my wife's request).

Yes, it's nice to not have the neighbor dogs crapping in our garden or stray horses stampeding through our yard (which happened a few times).

AFAIK the only unwanted animals in our yard have been Racoons and neighbor cats. Six Racoons have now entered and never left. :shifty:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have alarm signs on about a dozen windows/doors around the house. Can't miss them.

As for the gate, I've often considered it, never really looked into getting one, but I like the look.

As for the film, if the burglars can't get in side then neither can the fire department or the police.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
throw in some mines, and a moat filled with sharks with lasers on their heads for the trifecta !

Hope that the dogs get over the trauma and once all the perps are caught tie them down and let the dogs at them.

I have tried the moat route filled with carp, works so well that not even I can get in.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would highly recommend a fence and gate,the more time it takes them to enter and exit the less and less appealing your house looks,especialy if they have to walk a ways(with your stuff) to the get away car,my fence runs the entire length of the property,gates are chained and locked every time we leave,double keyed dead bolts keep them from opening the doors from the inside so they have to leave the way they came in.(sucks to crawl over broken glass)and may leave blood evidence.:whistling:

glad to hear the dogs are fine:smile:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Two years ago we were robbed, so I know how you feel Bob. Total damages after they pried open the front door was $6000. With my dog they went to the fridge and pulled out leftover lasagna and fed it to him to keep him busy. Then ransacked the house. TV's, jewelry, safe, one pistol etc............Took the VCR/DVD remote, but not the VCR/DVD (dumbasses).
The Sheriff did say that they had hit three other houses close by the same day. And were unsuccessful at a few others by ringing the doorbell. If someone answered they just asked for someone non-existant and left.
I still say I am one pizza away from death with my dog.