Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Bob Cantin is on a distinguished road
Default Snow Trac dealer from Western Canada

I sold Snow Tracs in Western Canada in the 70's and 80's.Some of the utility companies that bought vehicles from me, had to use the little tractors at pretty high altitudes. Because of the altitude, the VW engines were a bit disadvantaged because of the horsepower loss at those heights, so as we were doing the pre- delivery on the units, we installed performance header kits and mufflers which increased horsepower a bit.

The main reason that Aktiv quit building them, was because VW shut down their European production of the VW Industrial engines. Another one of my companies was manufacturing a smaller tracked machine (PPT) in Western Canada, and I actually approached Aktiv-Fischer about building the Snow Trac, (under license) in Canada, because the engines were still available from South America sources. They seemed to have lost interest in the machines, and concentrated on other projects, and refused the offer!

We continued selling parts for a few years, until they too dried up and got very difficult to obtain. The rubber products associated with the unit (tires and variator belts) were VERY expensive by the time we got them, so we sourced other North American suppliers for the variator belts, and filled the tires with foam.

I have a few parts left in inventory, that I would like to clear out of stock----there are still a lot of machines in Western Canada, to my knowledge, most of them are still being used. They were a wonderful snow-on-snow machine, tough, quiet,warm(when equipped with a gas heater) and worked well climbing mountains in deep snow (especially the ST4B).

One of the largest end users was CNT (Canadian National Telecommunications), and when we could no longer supply them with new Snow Tracs,they started searching the market for a suitable replacement. A demonstration was arranged, and a new Piston-Bulley machine took several representatives from CNT "up the mountain". A short time later, the call came in on the radio, that the Piston-Bulley had broken down, and could they send a unit "up the mountain" to retrieve the brass. The only unit available was a 20 year old Snow Trac, which much to the Piston-Bulleys embarassed salesman's dismay, pulled up alongside the broken hi-tech machine, and extricated the crew, and brought them back down the mountain!! Great story!!

Other utilities companies parked Snow Tracs in sheds built at high altitudes to house the machines, because the distances to travel to these sights from a base were very time consuming and difficult (terrain wise), so a chopper would drop a couple of guys off at or near said sight and the crew would do whatever repairs were needed etc. The crews loved the Snow Tracs, because if the batteries were down a bit, and the weather a bit cold (-40F), they could simply hand crank the VW engine to get it started.
Yep, we were very sad indeed to lose contact with a very old friend!!

Anyone with any questions may want to contact me directly at bobcantin@cruzinternet.com-------Bob C
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 10,133 Times in 4,274 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Snow Trac dealer from Western Canada

Good snow trac story.
Welcome aboard Bob! Enjoy, and post often!

Other Fun Forums:

Net Pet Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Snowcat Operations is on a distinguished road

Greetings and Salutations Bob. Nice to have you on the forums!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigAl will become famous soon enough

Welcome Bob ,
It is nice to have you as a member . There are quite a few Snow Trac owners here and your input is going to be a big help .
Allen