• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what radio do you use?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Texing was used some at mccall lastyear. What radio would be the best to install for this year? Gmrs??
Jim

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
jim VT, I still have a operating radio in the Tucker.

I pretty much think, the only ones still using radios are government types, and the search and rescue groups.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
For group outings I think radios could be a good thing. GMRS is probably the best for price, availability and function.

PJL

GMRS, FRS, CB or MURS are all consumer type radios that anyone can use. There is ham but you need a license. FRS are those little bubble pack radios. GMRS is similiar but can be had in higher power versions. Technically you need a license but the FCC is probably not going to hunt you down and fine you. MURS is in the VHF band and less common. And of course we all know about CB. IMHO the little FRS/GMRS radios would be the cheapest and easiest. Texting is great IF, you have a cell phone and are in an area with service. Jim and I run in areas where there is no cell service and we use our radios.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides the coverage issue, the nice things about radios:

Trying to get the message to everyone is a whole lot easier.

You can hear the laughter / panic in their voice.

useful if convoying on road enroute to event.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
We have the Baofeng handhelds. That are programmable scanner radios with 5 watt capability. I have also programmed in a few GMRS channels so I can talk to folks with the bubble pack radios too. The Baofengs are great and are pretty inexpensive comparably.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
expect the baofeng etc to dry up. The FCC will be cracking down on them. While they may say FCC accepted, they are not and the enforcement bureau will be ramping up interdiction efforts.

Not agreeing, or disagreeing, just informing.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
It's my understanding that "Rugged Radios" are Baofengs that are preprogrammed with proprietary titled channels/ frequencies.