• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The little things you forget....

Garmins_Dad

Soo.. for those that do prepare.. Don't forget the extra lids for the time you need to can your veggies after SHTF.. :flowers: I picked up enough to re can everything once.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMHO, You'll need more then "re can everything once".

First, if SHTF, you'll most likely be doing a lot more canning since grocery store items may be more limited.

I normally can about 200-300 quarts a year. I keep over 1000 spare lids around. I also purchased a bunch of Tattler reusable lids but haven't used them yet. They're lids that can be reused over and over.

Oh, and a cache of tomato paste will be handy to thicken your sauce.

Kane

The one thing you cannot re-use is toilet paper. More valuable than bullets or gold ... or re-usable lids.

Garmins_Dad

IMHO, You'll need more then "re can everything once".

First, if SHTF, you'll most likely be doing a lot more canning since grocery store items may be more limited.

I normally can about 200-300 quarts a year. I keep over 1000 spare lids around. I also purchased a bunch of Tattler reusable lids but haven't used them yet. They're lids that can be reused over and over.

Oh, and a cache of tomato paste will be handy to thicken your sauce.

Please bear with me.. It's these little things some of us (mostly me) forget. I am doing this on a limited budget.. I will be picking more lids up.. just getting some ahead for now.

Please.. Anyone feel free to add to this thread with what you think people forget.. Like.. extra matches or extra oil for the hurricane lamps..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Things to add:
Pepcid, Tums, anti-diarrhea meds... in a SHTF situation, your eating habits will be messed up.

Manual can openers.

Non-electric games to pass the time.

Baby wipes. (clean yourself up. Showers may not be available).

Porta-pottie thingy (the seat that fits on a 5-gallon bucket). Possibly some lime as well.

If you're on public sewers, get a back-flow valve and install it outside your house. It the sewer companies aren't running, it can/will start backing into houses.

Plenty of paper plates (and possibly plastic silverware).

Back to canning, have some canning citric acid in the event lemon juice isn't available. Don't forget the canning salt.

Spaghetti noodles. Besides eating, they burn like a match so it can be handy to use as long matches to get into lamps and such.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Snatch block and good 3/8" rope for hoisting critters for cleaning and skinning. Dryer lint or cloth strips soaked in Kero or diesel for hard to light fires. I keep mine in small jars with lids on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dryer lint or cloth strips soaked in Kero or diesel for hard to light fires. I keep mine in small jars with lids on.

I have something similar but not as messy or smelly. Take cotton balls, swipe them in vaseline then stick in a ziplock bag. Clean, doesn't stink...

Speaking of fire starters here's a couple dual-use items.
Everyone has steel wool and 9V batteries. Put both terminals of a 9V battery to some steel wool and it'll light it on fire.

Hand sanitizer. Obviously for cleaning your hands but it makes a great fire starter. The jel keeps the alcohol from running all over. It burns nice, hot and long. Be careful as the flames are very hard to see since they burn blue.

Here's an example of the battery and steel wool.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eT-buIKUpY"]How to start a Fire with Steel Wool and a Battery - YouTube[/ame]

Garmins_Dad

Bar hand soap, toothpaste and tooth brush..

My wife and i are really trying to implement a Use one buy two policy for a while. Its hurting the budget but its really stocking up on the things we use often and showing us what we never touch.

She wants me to pick up a dozen extra arrows for my compound bow...

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is something else that most don't think about.

HOW TO MAKE WATERPROOF MATCHES

Waterproof matches are generally expensive to buy. But you can make your own for only a fraction of the price. Listed below are a number of effective & proven ways to make waterproof matches that you can use when camping, backpacking, or in an emergency.

Steps

All the below methods involve some risk. If you are a minor, do not carry out any of these activities, without the permission of a competent adult supervisor. The list is ranked from safest to least safe.

Method 1: Use Turpentine

The BEST & SAFEST Method is to use Turpentine. (Turpentine has a higher "flash point" relative to Acetone, which commonly used in Nail Polish. Nor does it involve the use of flame as is needed in the Wax or Paraffin methods.)

1 Pour 2 to 3 large tablespoons of Turpentine into a small (Tumbler sized) glass.

2 Place the matches, (Head down) into the Turpentine and allow the matches to soak for 5 minutes. During that time the turpentine will soak into the head as well as the stem. All the water will be driven off by the turpentine.

3 Remove the matches and spread them out to dry out on a sheet of newspaper. Generally, 20 minutes for excess turpentine to be evaporated is recommended. Matches treated in this way remain waterproof for several months or longer.

Method 2: Use Nail Polish

1 Dip the head end of the match into clear nail polish far enough to cover at least an eighth of an inch (3 millimeters) of the stick below the head.

2 Hold the match for a few seconds to allow the polish to dry and then place the match on a table or counter so that the head is suspended off the edge of the surface.

3 Place a sheet of newsprint below to catch anything that may drip off.

Method 3: Use a Candle

1 Light a candle and let it burn down until you have a good amount of liquid wax (about a half of an inch or 1 centimeter).

2 Extinguish the candle.

3 Dip the head end of the match into the wax far enough to cover at least an eighth of an inch (3 millimeters) of the stick below the head.

4 Hold the match for a few seconds to allow the wax to harden slightly and then place the match on a table or counter so that the head is suspended off the edge of the surface.

5 When the wax has cooled, but not completely hardened, pinch the end of the wax coating (towards the stick), forming a tight seal.

Method 4: Using Paraffin Wax

1 Melt enough paraffin wax in a double boiler to be able to coat with wax about a half of an inch (1 centimeter) deep.

2 Wrap some twine or jute string around several matches from the bottom, to just below the wax quickly. This makes a torch that can burn for 10 or more minutes.

Tips

Turpentine has a relatively high "flash point" in comparison to Nail polish, therefore it is the safest to use. Mineral Turpentine, Pine, or Citrus turpentine all have the same waterproofing capacity.

Turpentine effectively displaces all hygroscopically absorbed moisture content. So any wood stemmed matches (regardless of age) can be used.

Do not use a plastic cup to sit turpentine in, as it may be melted by the chemical itself.

Decant the remainder of the unused Turpentine back into the original container.

Do not drink from the glass that you used to soak the matches.

If you don't use strike-anywhere matches, be sure to store a striking surface with your matches.

This should be done soon after buying the matches so that the matches don't pick up too much moisture from the air.

Even though the matches will be waterproof, it is a good idea to store your finished matches & striker patch in a waterproof container, such as a small 35 mm film container, or any other sealable & waterproof canister.

The Nail Polish method is more volatile than Turpentine, but is better than wax that can more easily break or be scratched.

The candle method works best with wood stemmed matches. Do NOT USE with Plastic or Waxed stems.

When using either of the wax methods, work as quickly as you can while still being safe so the wax doesn't harden.

If you do not have a double boiler, you can melt the paraffin wax using a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. You can also melt the wax in a pan on low heat, but this increases the chance of causing a fire.

The matches may also be completely covered with the wax to make sure water can't migrate up the matchstick.

Warnings

Turpentine is poisonous if swallowed. or inhaled intensely over a period of time.

Always use caution when working with fire.

Wax in its liquid state is very hot and may cause severe burns. It may also catch fire.

Nail polish (and wax) can stain fabric and surfaces, so it is a good idea to cover your work surface in newspaper. Nail Polish is also highly flammable. Nail Polish is also a known carcinogenic substance.

Paraffin wax is incredibly hard to remove from a pan. Use an old pan/double boiler or purchase one second-hand for this purpose. Alternately, use an old coffee can or #10 tin can set in a pot of water. Paraffin Wax is also highly reactive in the presence of introduced water droplets.

Things You'll Need

Sturdy wooden matches (preferably the strike-anywhere sort)

Candles, Paraffin Wax, Nail Polish or Turpentine.

A saucepan or double boiler

Tongs or fork to dip matches into wax

Newspaper or other table covering

Small glass tumbler.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Things to add:
Pepcid, Tums, anti-diarrhea meds... in a SHTF situation, your eating habits will be messed up.

Manual can openers.

Non-electric games to pass the time.

Baby wipes. (clean yourself up. Showers may not be available).

Porta-pottie thingy (the seat that fits on a 5-gallon bucket). Possibly some lime as well.

If you're on public sewers, get a back-flow valve and install it outside your house. It the sewer companies aren't running, it can/will start backing into houses.

Plenty of paper plates (and possibly plastic silverware).

Back to canning, have some canning citric acid in the event lemon juice isn't available. Don't forget the canning salt.

Spaghetti noodles. Besides eating, they burn like a match so it can be handy to use as long matches to get into lamps and such.

These can be found in a lot of places and well worth getting a few of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2+Pack+Survival+Kit+Can+Opener%2C+Military%2C+P-51+Model

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
pets. we hafta feed them, etc. too. also, think of self-entertainment. have books to read, yarn to knit (multi-functional). purell. i'm a dedicated purell person, & if it got to where using bottled h2o would seem frivilous for washing, it can be used. i've mentally gone thru my ave. day, & have picked thru & figured the items i most use.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I have the self entertainment well in hand.:whistling: I was thinking today that a solar battery charger would be a wise thing to have when the grid is down. That way you could save fuel for more vital purposes.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I have the self entertainment well in hand.:whistling: I was thinking today that a solar battery charger would be a wise thing to have when the grid is down. That way you could save fuel for more vital purposes.

mule!:doh::biggrin:there is 'dat refractory deal so bring other entertainment fer the moments when the day gets boring.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter

I actually have a solar powered lantern that will run a computer and charge the battery. It has a 12 volt charging system in it. I forget now where I got it but have seen them on Amazon. Mine I've actually tested and it will run my laptop and charge the battery in a few hours using my portable car charger with it. I also have a decent GPS system in my computer that doesn't require a network such as cell phones to run but has a satellite antenna as long as it has a clear view of the sky.