• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Front Drive VS Rear drive

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
On most tracked vehicles that are going to climb any kind of incline you should always consider rear sprocket drive. because of the torque when climbing the hill. will cause the machine to want to pull down to the slope.
a front drive machine will have the tendency to want to lift the front and flip over towards the back and loose control over the steerablity of the machine.:thumb:

On some of the machines that are run in the swamp and bog the choice is for
front sprocket drive. one of the reasons being that accumulated debris has time to fall of before it gets to the sprocket.:)

AKdadio

On a serious note, my little Imp always went up a steep hill better in reverse that in fwd. I think this topic was covered elsewhere / before . . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The brochure and operating manuals for my Snow Trac suggest that it can climb steeper grades in reverse than in forward. I don't know if it is because the drive sprocket is in the front of a Snow Trac, or if it is related to the gearing of the drive system, or perhaps if it is a combination of both?

I'd also have to wonder about the weight distribution of the vehicle and how that might affect its ability to climb very steep inclines in either forward or reverse? Any thoughts on climbing ability based on front engine vs mid-engine? Or based on the overall balance of the vehicle due to its cabin design, etc?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The brochure and operating manuals for my Snow Trac suggest that it can climb steeper grades in reverse than in forward. I don't know if it is because the drive sprocket is in the front of a Snow Trac, or if it is related to the gearing of the drive system, or perhaps if it is a combination of both?

I'd also have to wonder about the weight distribution of the vehicle and how that might affect its ability to climb very steep inclines in either forward or reverse? Any thoughts on climbing ability based on front engine vs mid-engine? Or based on the overall balance of the vehicle due to its cabin design, etc?

Bob, Intresting that they would state that. there are many factors that really contribute to traction in a machine and in terrain. at some point in any machine you will have track slipage on a incline if you go steep enough. the thing that you will really notice is the in a front drive machine on a steep grade that is sliping or spinning the track and digs it's self down and all of sudden to firm ground,rocks,brush, etc. you better be ready it will generate so much lift in the front of machine it will lift to the point it looses traction with that object or roll to the side or in the most extreem case it will pull the machine right over fliping to the back.

If you were to on a front drive system to fix both tracks to solid object at the rear of the machine and apply power it will lift the front of the machine right off the ground. and then flip.:4_11_9:

center of gravity effects climbing more than anything low weight is better than high weight. so to answer your question yes balance and weight distribution is a factor.

I suspect that on the Aktiv they also wanted to keep the dirt and debris out of the drive sprocket and that combined with the drive agrangement of the transaxle they kept in the front for simplicity. :thumb: