• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Took mom to the oral surgen today.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Had to travel almost a hundred miles to get there by 8:00 am. Got up at 5am. She needed to get her lower teeth ...the last 8 of them out. they broke off over the years and were nasty.
Gums grew over and such. Last month - she went to a regular dentist.. and just to get one out... it took an hour and a half. I wasn't there.. but she told me the most miserable story. The dentist would give her a shot of novacane.. dig , pull and yank.. and then take a break.. give more novacane... and coninue. She was a wreak after that eppisode. So she was referred to an oral surgeon. What a day we had. The first thing that told me I was in for a great day was the fog.
Heavy patchy fog. Then i got behind a old rusty piece of shit car - with the exhaust hanging down.. and danggling on the pavement.. making sparks. It was the entire exhaust! If that came off.. I'm thinking I'm gonna run over it 4 sure.
So I had to keep way back from it. Could not pass... and the cars behind me could not pass me. Then came the getting to the office. A five story building from 1920? We took the elevator to the second floor. You could go left or right. The list of DR's didn't tell you wich way to go. We went left. WRONG! My mom is 83... and uses a walker. So it was a long walk around the hall to get to the office. Check in. oops . now mom needs to go pody. There is no toilet in the DR's office. We have to get a key, go back out in the hallway... 50 feet down the hall! GRRRR.
So they call her in. Meanwhile.. there are all kinds of patients coming in. This one young couple comes in.. and the only word this 20 yr old knows is f-ing this f-ing that. I think he had painfull wisdom teeth. He thought he was getting them pulled.. but it wasn't gonna happen today. It was a initial appointment. I never heard anyone swear so much - since i missed the nail while swinging a hammer. Ok... 20 minutes later.. they call me into the RECOVERY ROOM?
If you had a 4X8 sheet of ply wood.. you would never get it in there, unless you stood it on end. I swear it was a broom closet. No shit. This was a nightmare! I'm not kidding. The recovery room had less room than a pickup truck bed. The nurse is telling me all all kinds of info.. about using the gause.. and telling my mom it's all over, and she did great.. My mom is laying with a wad of gause in her mouth the size of a baseball... trying to talk. The nurse sits her up, takes out the bloody wad, and my mom gets the dry heaves. I've been through Hip replacement, gall bladder, pace maker stuff... and never saw her in such misery. There were more terrible moments to the day.. but I said enough.
The final thing to say is.. by 4:00 pm.. the bleeding stopped.. and she is ok.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Tom. This sharing of your day with Mom just ripped my heart to pieces.
I am glad she came through it ok, and you are a good son for doing what you did for her.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good job Tom. The pain of getting them out is better than suffering daily. The next few days will be tough as well but when she gets fitted for dentures and gets used to them it will be worth it.