• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fake Mashed Potatoes low carb for thcri

BamsBBQ

If you are watching carbs, or are just trying to eat healthier, this is an AMAZING recipe for "fake" mashed potatoes that tastes almost exactly like the real thing!

i dont know where i got this recipe but i thought i would share it. i seen one like this on a tv cooking show awhile back

1 large head of garlic - roasted
1 large head of cauliflower
1 small (14oz) can of fat-free chicken* broth (*vegetable broth for veggies and vegans)
1 7oz. bag of Veggie Slices brand soy cheddar cheese
Fresh basil
Fresh or dry bay leaves
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Butter (or margarine, for vegans)
Milk (nonfat, lactose free, or soy [for vegans] all work fine)

Cut up the cauliflower into pieces. Take a large pot or dutch oven, and put the broth, cauliflower pieces and a few sprigs of bay leaves into the pot and season with salt and pepper.

Turn the heat up to medium high until it begins to steam. Let the cauliflower steam for 20-25 minutes, until it is extremely cooked and soft.

Drain the cauliflower in a strainer, then put it back into the pot in which you cooked it. Put the pot back on the hot burner and mash the cauliflower with a potato masher. Once it's mashed, the heat from the hot burner will evaporate the water. Stir to keep it from burning.

Take the pot of mashed cauliflower (STILL on the hot burner) and add the roasted garlic, the bag of soy cheese, about 2-3 tbsp of butter, some chopped up basil leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash or two bit of milk as needed too (although not too much milk, as it can make it too liquidy).

Serve as a side - it tastes almost exactly like real mashed potatoes, although the consistency is a bit thinner.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With my daughter being a diabetic we switched to 'mashed cauliflower' a couple years ago. Simply steam it until its tender, grind it up in a food processor, add some sauted onions, butter and salt.