• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SCOZZAFAVA THROWS SUPPORT TO OWENS

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well another turn in the NY23 district race :ermm: The Republican, being beaten badly by the Conservative, now is endorsing the Democrat!

SCOZZAFAVA THROWS SUPPORT TO OWENS
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2009
http://watertowndailytimes.com/article/20091101/NEWS09/911019992

After bowing out of the 23rd Congressional race Saturday, Republican Scozzafava released the following statement at 2 :06 p.m.:

I want to thank you for your support and friendship. Over the past 24 hours, I have had encouraging words sent to my family and me. Many of you have asked me whom you should support on Tuesday.

Since announcing the suspension of my campaign, I have thought long and hard about what is best for the people of this District, and how to answer your questions. This is not a decision that I have made lightly.

You know me, and throughout my career, I have been always been an independent voice for the people I represent. I have stood for our honest principles, and a truthful discussion of the issues, even when it cost me personally and politically. Since beginning my campaign, I have told you that this election is not about me; it's about the people of this District.

It is in this spirit that I am writing to let you know I am supporting Bill Owens for Congress and urge you to do the same.

It's not in the cards for me to be your representative, but I strongly believe Bill is the only candidate who can build upon John McHugh's lasting legacy in the U.S. Congress. John and I worked together on the expansion of Fort Drum and I know how important that base is to the economy of this region. I am confident that Bill will be able to provide the leadership and continuity of support to Drum Country just as John did during his tenure in Congress.

In Bill Owens, I see a sense of duty and integrity that will guide him beyond political partisanship. He will be an independent voice devoted to doing what is right for New York. Bill understands this district and its people, and when he represents us in Congress he will put our interests first.

Please join me in voting for Bill Owens on Tuesday. To address the tough challenges ahead, we must rise above partisanship and politics and work together. There's too much at stake in this election to do otherwise.

Dede

A Democratic source said that Scozzafava and her husband, Ronald P. McDougall, met with U.S. Rep. Steve Israel, D-Huntington, and state Democratic Committee Chairwoman June F. O'Neill at a restaurant in Gouverneur on Saturday afternoon to discuss the endorsement.

Owens issued the following statement after securing the endorsement of Republican Dede Scozzafava:

“I am honored to have Assemblywoman Scozzafava’s endorsement. Over the course of her career, Dede has always committed to serving the people of Upstate New York before serving a partisan agenda. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what she's accomplished. We share a commitment to finding common sense solutions to address the challenges we’re facing here in Upstate New York.

“Now more than ever we need bipartisan solutions to help bring jobs to Upstate New York to get our economy back on track and move our country forward. Those are the kinds of priorities I will fight for in Congress because that’s the kind of leadership Upstate New York needs right now.”

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wonder who negotiated that one? All the more reason for another party.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder who negotiated that one? All the more reason for another party.

Well I don't know but I do know that in the northern part of my county you can ONLY win if you are a Democrat so its been known that some Republicans have switched parties and run in local elections as Democrats. I would suspect that Ms Scozzafava may have always been a Democrat but because of the fact that the district is apparently a traditional GOP area she may have simply switched parties. Her positions on many issues were more aligned with the Democratic party and clearly were in contrast with core GOP beliefs.

As Hoffman and Owens are running in a statistical dead heat in the polls (I can find no new polls have been published since Scozzafava has dropped out) it will be interesting to see where this election goes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Owens Breaks 4 Campaign Promises in first hour in Congress

"GOUVERNEUR, NY - Congressman-elect Bill Owens was sworn in at noon today.

Owens indicated in a press release released shortly afterwards that he was now in favor of the the "Affordable Healthcare for America Act" bill in direct contrast to his earlier position during the election campaign.

According to Politico.com, Mr. Owens assured voters that he felt the public option had no place in the health care reform bill. Contrary to that position, Mr. Owens now indicates that he intends to vote in favor of the bill even though it now contains a public option."

http://www.gouverneurtimes.com/inde...promises&catid=60:st-lawrence-news&Itemid=175

P.T. Barnum was apparently correct when he said "No one ever lost money overestimating the stupidity of the public."