• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quick fix for squeaky floor?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Dad's kitchen floor squeaks. It's between the joists and sub-floor.

What's a good "quick" fix?

It's linoleum so I only have access from the basement.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Tar paper if you can slip it in, glue from a syringe if you can't.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What kind of glue did you use? Regular wood glue? I was thinking about trying to force some liquid nails in as far as possible.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Well... I buy syringes to apply glue and oil to things... they have a plastic, tapered pointy part. I would use liquid epoxy cause I have it.

Liquid Nails is pretty thick but if you can get it in there, it will work good.
Maybe you can force the Liquid Nails in there with a putty knife or something ?
Maybe drill a hole ?

Sometimes it is a screw/nail that is making the noise against the wood so a thinner glue would be more likely to work. Carpenters glue will work for awhile.

K

kermit2

Long screws. Have you thought about the break-off screws they use with carpeting? Just a thought.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
try fiberglass resin maybe Big Al (aka Bob Vila ) could chime in with a proper way to fix this with out messing the whole project up and making more work to fix it right later

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i always want to know what Big Al looked like and to think he even has his own show

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My Dad's kitchen floor squeaks. It's between the joists and sub-floor.

What's a good "quick" fix?

It's linoleum so I only have access from the basement.

Hey Boomer , Sounds like you may have a few nails/screws that have loosened up when the sub floor was attached .
If possible , the quickest way I know is to try what one poster already stated and try to force ( using a chaulking gun) some Construction floor adhesive along each side of the joist nearest the squeek . If to have room you "might" be able to install a very thin shim in the gap too, if there is one .

I have also worked on squeeks that were caused by open voids in the plywood subfloor and they can be a pain to repair . It requires using a "gauged stop for depth" drill bit to reach the void , then force glue under pressure into the void . The trick is to not go too deep and pierced the finish floor .

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd never have thought that a void in the plywood would have made it squeak. Good to know.

I haven't needed to do this in many a long year but when I did I used the shim method. I also used a short screw to fix the shim to the sub-floor once I had it in place. I don't know if it was necessary but I was worried about the shim working loose over time and me having to do it again.