• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hanging a mirror . . . ended up tearing out the wall!?!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some days just don't go so well.

I was hanging a mirror in the bathroom out at my workshop. Upstairs above the workshop is a small apartment where my sister-in-law resides. So I drill a couple holes in the wall to hang the mirror and I drill right through the PVC main drain for the upstairs apartment.

Damn. A 5 minute project is now a couple hours.

Hop in the car, drive up to town (actually 2 towns away because its Sunday and the local hardware store is closed) and swing into Tractor Supply. Lucky for me they had a 4" PVC rubber pipe connector.

Return back home (its now 90 minutes after I started my 5 minute project) and cut out the drywall so I can work on the pipe. I slice the rubber pipe connector into 2 narrower bands (each about 2" wide) and each with its own clamp. Then I use some waterproof adhesive tape over the actual holes. Then I fit the rubber pipe connectors over holes to press against adhesive, then tighten the clamps.

Now I have 2 holes in my wall, each about 5" tall, 4" wide. The mirror, of course, is sitting on the ground next to the toilet.

I'm thinking the easiest thing now is to go buy a MUCH BIGGER MIRROR and cover up the whole mess I just made in the wall :sad:

Why do the 'easy projects' always end up taking 3 hours to finish?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll tell you the story sometime about the small leak on the little chrome pipe that supplies water to my downstairs toilet. Should of been a five minute job to tighten and adjust the ferrule nut. Five hours later....................:w00t2: Wanna see a grown man cry like a schoolgirl? Watch me do plumbing. :yum:

loboloco

Mel, his name is Murphy. He hangs out with Mulie and Works with Rusty. Galvi is his best friend.
That explains it all.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds so much like my 5 minute projects. Bigger mirror is the obvious fix. :yum: :thumb:

TJE

GOLD Site Supporter
Been there, done that. Bigger mirror works every time (as long as you don't hit the hot or cold running water pipes).

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
A little trick I learned when repairing Plumbing pipes the froze and busted . I buy a flat grill vent and after I fix the leak I use the grill to cover the hole . It also helps to put heat in the wall so no more frozen pipes .:clap: