• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tankless water heaters

AndyM

Charter Member
We currently live in a 75 year old, 3 bedroom, one bathroom home in town with natural gas heat and hot water heater.

I'm working on adding a second bathroom/laundry room and a large playroom for the kids and office in the basement. The current "traditional-style" water heater is barely adequate for the one bathroom. The new bathroom/laundry room in the basement will be beneath the first floor kitchen and second floor bathroom, to keep all of the plumbing together and reduce the amount of concrete floor to take up for the drain lines in the new bathroom.

The current water heater is on the opposite side of the basement from where the water comes into the house and where the water is used (bathroom, kitchen). In order to reduce the extra runs of pipe across the house and back (and eliminate the length of pipe where the hot water sits and cools down after it gets used each time), I've considered putting in a tankless water heater on the side of the house where the water is used... I don't have the room for a traditional water heater on the same side of the house where the water is used.

Prices for the tankless units and for the venting are a little steep, but I've found one unit that seems to be big enough for two bathrooms that is a few hundred dollars less than the others. It seems to have some decent reviews that I've read. Anyone have opinions on it or other affordable models?

http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-40hi-ng-tankless-water-heater/

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
May I suggest taking your internet research one step further and take the time to contact residential oriented plumbing contractors and find out which ones they use and have had the best luck with. Find a trend among a group of them. Contractors hate repeat visits as it takes forever for them to get their money from the manufacturers.

I see the unit you have linked has a rated 6.3 gallon hot water rate. Find out at what ambient water temperature that figure is based on and determine what your ambient water temp is during the winter. Not sure where you live but my spring fed water ambient temp during the winter months here in Vermont is +37F. That is very cold. That would affect that 6.3 number drastically. Good luck and have fun.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Andy we have had good luck with the one in the link. Make sure you get a sealed combustion one. As for the one in you link I know nothing about it. However I will say these things will have more problems than your standard ones and keep in mind getting parts.

Noritz