• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Homemade Tracklayer

Hello. I am building a machine based on the homemade tracked vehicles from Russia. Nuth'in fancy.

20180201_162751[1].jpg

20180223_175431[1].jpg

It is a pretty fun build and the largest (most powerful) machine I have ever built. I think with some bolt-on track extensions and grousers it could do better in the snow, since this machine is more for all year use.

Kinda weaselish machine :wink:
https://youtu.be/ggf-Zq6jW28

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice build! Looks like a really fun machine. The speed seems very impressive. What did you use for power?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
LOOKS GREAT ... Would love to see more detailed photos and some technical info!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is still 60+ inches to play in in clowderville, I know you know the way up.

3/17 is a scheduled play day.

Excellent project

Nice build! Looks like a really fun machine. The speed seems very impressive. What did you use for power?

A 4-cylinder Toyota 20R. I don't know what the horsepower is, it might be close to stock with the weber converson?
20170205_093854.jpg

LOOKS GREAT ... Would love to see more detailed photos and some technical info!

Check out the youtube channel, I have a build log that started in October. If you can't find any info on a certain part, let me know I might have some pictures of it.

Fabulous rig.

Love the music.

Top speed ????

Actual speed I don't know. In theory around 55-60mph. I'm not a test pilot so I like to keep things controllable haha

There is still 60+ inches to play in in clowderville, I know you know the way up.

3/17 is a scheduled play day.

Excellent project

I heard you had a summer event? It would be fun to take it there to get some input from the snowcat veterans for ultimate snow mobility!

Snowy Rivers

I have driven regular snowmobiles at very high speeds (80 mph plus) but the large tracks gotta make things real sketchy over 30-40 mph.

AS speed increases the tracks try to become round instead of oblong.

Sweet little machine

nice machine----55-60 not going to happen---and if you can I want to see it----tracks going round----lol----I want to see u hang on to it

Snowy Rivers

Even at speeds approaching 40 (Weasels were spec'd at 36 mph top) is gonna get real spooky.

In a straight line on a good road that's smooth (packed snow) would be serious business, but any rough conditions would make high speed a crazy ride :bolt:

20-25 would be sweet enough.

I groom every day there is snow---20-25 not going to happen ----I had a weasel with a straight 6------36 mph no way----with the rear end gears these cats run the motor would blow first

Snowy Rivers

Maybe yours was broken

I have a Gov issue manual that says 36
I am using a Weasel rear axle in my "Mess" and wanted a good original manual for maintenance repair

I have never driven one, but the numbers should be easy enough to calculate given final drive gears and the ratio at the track and the FPM of the track at the given speed.

The Gov manual is probably correct.

Why would they make a statement that could be checked and varified???

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
most of the amphibious cats ive seeen have fenders to direct water.

Maybe with some fender attachments the frog might sober up?

Yeah I need to improve the deflectors to cover the sprocket more like the swamp spryte. Too much return current. At high track speeds you will actually go backwards instead of forwards haha!

wrnxuf.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Almost looks like snow trac grousers. Did you make them yourself?
Jim

Idris

A real inspiration. Watched all your youtube vids

How did you press/crimp the ends of your grousers?

The cleats/lugs on the drive wheels how did you make em?

Thanks

A real inspiration. Watched all your youtube vids

How did you press/crimp the ends of your grousers?

The cleats/lugs on the drive wheels how did you make em?

Thanks

It is an acorn shaped plate I had flame cut at work. Its basically the positive impression you see on the crossmember. I had two of them setup to press a tube in one go. From the pressure gauge it took about 39 ton to bottom it out on my H-frame press.

Sprocket teeth are cast polyurethane in a silicone mold. What a terrible smell when you mix and pour!

Finished for the summer.
36568290_212746992696514_3656334465430454272_n.jpg

36649168_212746982696515_5355319452080537600_n.jpg

36492315_212747686029778_8681340841907716096_n.jpg

Preparing for my next build, I will be importing some GAZ-71 parts from Russia next spring and I was wondering if there were any others from the midwest interested in parts to save shipping costs by FCL? You can see what the company has to offer here: http://tpkvezdehod.ru/category/71. Prices are fair IMO and I will be happy to bring the parts to you during a midwest snow cat event.

With typical Russian engineering, the clutch/brake units have been used on many tracked vehicles since 1938 when they were developed for Soviet amphibious light tanks. I like the lightweight modularity of the system with bolt on finals, something you can't get on an old clutch/brake dozer.
13bd374e560e46eb2e2b9cdf0a3d8b4e.gif

BTW the Sherp uses the clutch packs from these units.

can you get it to stop forward motion?

I found out today, 22" of mortar mix it took to get stuck. I was actually pretty impressed considering the ground clearance is only 14" lol.
2w1z5u8.jpg

byekk.jpg

Took about 15 min to extricate itself out, didn't want to get dirty chaining a log to the track :p