• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I will keep the TV off as well. I am sick of those idiots yapping about the plannedemic.

I agree. My wife has the TV turned on all day just for background noise. She has always done that. It's usually on cooking shows or flipping shows but lately it has all been about the pandemic. When she listens to those experts she gets really "down and sad". She's a long way from being depressed but she isn't her usual happy self.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I'm knee deep in shit. Had manure delivered today for the garden. Ouueee that smell. :D

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Up at Dawn's crack again due to back pain. Once the meds kicked in I headed to the garage to do a bit of brake work on my son's car until the back gave out. Now to work on the butt grove in my chair.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I just lit a pellet fire. I usually am done with all forms of wood burning by this time, but damn it is cold and damp as hell out there. Wind is kicking up as well. Oh joy! My wife's arthur is kicking up too. :hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not much planned for today.

I'll watch the morning news but if the TV will be on throughout the day, I switch to Amazon, Netflix or Hulu.

Like TR's area, weather is going to get cold. Was in the 70's yesterday, snow expected for tonight. Will fire up wood stove.

The sad thing is that it seems that pine pollen time isn't over. I went outside this evening just to check things out and there was already a light dusting of yellow powder over them both. Ah well. At least I might get by with just a hosing down next time. Otherwise it was another wasted day.
If you have a decent leaf blower, you can normally blow the pollen off with a couple caveats.
1) Hope you don't have pollen allergies.
2) If dew settles on the pollen it won't blow off as well.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Slept until 5:40am. That is sleeping in late for me. I'm often up between 4:30-5am. Took Mitty out. The noise work up Nelson the corgi, who woke up my daughter. So now Melen and I are sitting watching the local news channel with Mitty on my lap and Nelson at her feet.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. Probably several sessions playing ball with the dogs.

Out the door again for another round od shutdown fun

At the paper mill?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Got off work at 10:25 last night.
Things are going fine there.
The new covid charting is somewhat a necessary pain in the butt. It simply entails temps and extra observation.

I need to go grocery shopping today, so I'll mask up and hit the store.. either Walmart or Chief.
One of the girls at work said milk is now $10 a gallon, and good luck finding eggs.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I mowed the 4-acre yard yesterday. Took it slow and easy in order to save the poor ol' back. It's really rough.

It's a pretty day and about 20° cooler than it has been. I might do some pasture mowing today. I also need to spray but need a way to fix the spray gun. The rubber "O" ring fell apart and now it can't be shut off. Also, it's supposed to rain tomorrow and Sunday. We'll see what happens.

Bannedjoe

I've got 2 exterior doors to hang, along with 2 screen doors to match.

I've been hearing an odd sound on the 86 F250.
Rather intermittent, and most prominent on these gawdawful washboarded roads.

Turns out they didn't do a good job repairing the fan shroud, and it's occasionally coming into slight contact with the fan.
It looks like they tried to glue one of the mounting ears, and it didn't work.

I think I'll start with the truck, but either job is going to involve being out in a pretty brisk 52º.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking to get outside to finish tilling the last garden bed.

I probably should also get started on the blueberry bed. That was planted right by my guest house door, where my sister-in-law lives. My logic was she could keep the weeds down. Well she didn't. And I don't see that bed from the house so it is out of sight/out of mind. Every summer its overgrown with weeds and looks like crap, which also cuts down on our blueberry harvest. Not sure why she can't pull a weed or two but its been there for 5+ years and its been an eyesore since year one. I had planned to tear it out this year ... but now I want the meager harvest of blueberries that we get.

I mowed the 4-acre yard yesterday...

I am not sure how much mowing we will do this year :idea:

We will keep the "frontage" and "dog yard" presentable. But the unseen areas, field and valley areas that are typically mowed will probably have some paths mowed through them but not have them mowed. I'm looking at it from a FUEL CONSUMPTION standpoint. I have only so many gallons of gas I can (or am willing?) to store at home.

More mowing = more trips to town for gas.
Trips to town = Risk
Risk = Bad

Or so goes my logic. I need minimal gas for the tiller, chain saw, etc. But I probably use up 4 gallons of gas every time we mow the frontage, dog yard, around the house, etc. And I store 15 gallons of extra fuel in cans. So 3 to 4 mowings and I need a trip to get gas. I've already told the lovely Mrs_Bob and her sister that we will use the gas mower for the dog yard, around trees, fences and up against the house. The diesel tractor will be used for open lawn areas along the frontage area, it is much larger but more economical for mowing if I am only doing the open areas with that tractor. That will let us go 6 weeks or longer between GASOLINE runs to town.

I store more diesel because it is less flammable and also has no explosive fumes, so I'm far less worried about running out of diesel.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
All this Facebook talk about the soaring milk prices and no eggs to be found is a bunch of crap.
Milk is around $3 a gallon, the eggs were anywhere from $1.47 a dozen and up.
Nothing in short supply at all.
I got my tonic water and supplements too.

20200410_114218-768x768.jpg

20200410_114515-768x768.jpg

20200410_113937-768x768.jpg

20200410_123056-768x768.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
All this Facebook talk about the soaring milk prices and no eggs to be found is a bunch of crap.

View attachment 125617

View attachment 125618

View attachment 125619

View attachment 125620

These Facebook people should stop bitching and report them for price gouging. The guy who owns a little mom and pop country store just south of us got himself arrested for charging just under $5 for a roll of toilet paper.

I like my quinine water with vodka and a few ice cubes, please. Thank you. :bolt:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Slept until 5:40am. That is sleeping in late for me. I'm often up between 4:30-5am. Took Mitty out. The noise work up Nelson the corgi, who woke up my daughter. So now Melen and I are sitting watching the local news channel with Mitty on my lap and Nelson at her feet.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. Probably several sessions playing ball with the dogs.

At the paper mill?

International paper, the 2 facilities I do work at make cardboard boxes, mostly for Amizon.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hit the grocery store early this morning to replenish supplies. They had pretty much everything I was looking for. I found a type of fresh milk that has a long expiration date. It only comes in 1/2 gallons and had a date of May 23 on them. More money, but figured right now it is worth it. Normally for us it would not be.

After that a walk in the wind, snow and rain. It was not the best of days for doing that I will tell you. We cut it short.

Keep the faith, all.

Bannedjoe

I got some work done on both of my F250's.

Installed my first prehung door today.
Normally I find used doors and frame them in myself.

This was a nice change, although it had to go in and out more times than I would have liked.
The next one will go much faster.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 48

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

This was a nice change, although it had to go in and out more times than I would have liked.

Well, that's pretty darned cool. I'm impressed. :applause::applause::applause:

Okay, don't get too conceited. I've never hung a door so I'm easily impressed. :bolt:

Sorry bud!!!! :wink::wink::wink:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Will the doors put you in the dry?

Bannedjoe

Will the doors put you in the dry?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
This is an addition to an existing building the wife and I built.
There's still many things to do before it's completely watertight, if that's what you're getting at.

If there's enough curiosity about this EF block project, I'm willing to start its own thread.
We're well into a year of work on it, and it's mostly just the wife and I.
I have a few guys I hire here and there to help, but Fort Joe isn't allowing many outside visitors for the time being.
The wife isn't nearly as strong as she was some years ago, so things are moving only as fast as my wife can keep up for now.

The project is like eating an elephant; one bite at a time.
We're also 10 years behind schedule due to the distraction of a dream of opening, living, and closing of a restaurant.

I hope to finish it someday, but if I croak before then, well, it will be a good headstart for someone else to finish.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
60 degrees and cloudy today, with heavy raining coming this evening.

The TO DO list.
  • clean the house
  • play ball with the dogs
  • go for a motorcycle ride
  • weed the blueberry bed
  • take a rack of lamb out of the freezer so it can thaw for tomorrow's dinner

For the most part, playing ball with the dogs entails throwing a ball for Mitty. Walt watches from the patio. Nelson waddles out behind Mitty and then waddles back. But it wears out the 2 trouble makers and they sleep for a while so we can relax a bit or get something done without having them underfoot.

Still waiting for some global warming so I'm not sure when we will get the starter plants into the garden. Probably May 1st-ish?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about today as rain is forecast starting about noon and lasting through Sunday.

I did get some pasture mowing done yesterday but still got a long way to go. It's going to be slow because I'm still not comfortable on some of the slopes we have since building the little lake 5 years ago. Everything has changed from the way I used to do it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
All the rain stopped yesterday, sun is out and no shutdown work today. I think the wife and I will shoot again today.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got a snowstorm coming tomorrow. Ugh.

It took me until lunch time to get dressed. About the only thing on the agenda today is about 14 trips to the refrigerator to examine it's contents.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bananas in the food dehydrator are drying for banana chips. I hate fresh bananas, love banana bread, love banana chips. I know, I'm weird.

Got the bills paid but was too late getting them out to the mailbox and found that the mailman delivered another bill.

Tried in vein to get some mowing done with the Ventrac. Been having all sorts of engine problems lately (Kawasaki engine). Pulled the fuel filter. Of course I don't have a spare. Just ordered 2 from Amazon, they will arrive Tuesday. Its getting air. It has oil. It runs. Then it dies out. Wait a bit, it runs again. I'm hoping its just a clogged fuel filter. When it comes to small engines I'm pretty much an idiot. If it was diesel I could probably figure it out. But small gas engines and me don't really get along. ... clicking my ruby slippers together and saying please be the fuel filter, please by the fuel filter, please be the fuel filter :smileywac

We've got a snowstorm coming tomorrow. Ugh.

It took me until lunch time to get dressed. About the only thing on the agenda today is about 14 trips to the refrigerator to examine it's contents.

That is going north of us, we are expected to 1 to 2 inches of rain. I think the south edge of that snow may skirt across the north end of Chicagoland but it looks like the UP of Michigan is going to get buried.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Snow, wind and rain all day. Recorded gusts all day in the 40mph range so no day for a walk at all.

So....I broke out the Mortar & Pestle and ground up about a half a pound of flour salt. It is all I use on popcorn and corn on the cob. Yes, I know you can buy it, but most of it is too granular for me and not ground enough, plus it is expensive for what it is.

Took two naps as well. Right out straight today. I also did manage to dig out of the freezer two filet mignons for Easter dinner.

Phew, time for another nap.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

View attachment 125617

View attachment 125618

View attachment 125619

View attachment 125620

I was surprised o see the post about $10 milk. First, most states regulate milk pricing. And last week, dairy farmers were complaining that demand was down and many are literally dumping in on the ground.

A good supply of TP in the pictures. Not the case here in St Louis or Springfield MO.

We were at the SAM's club today. They had paper towels (limit one package) and jumbo toilet paper for large commercial dispensers. It made sense to buy that and couple of wall mount dispensers for the plant.

Not a drop of Isopropyl Alcohol. But Lowes has gallon cans of "Denatured" alcohol for stoves. Cut it with water at 50% and we have Isopropyl for disinfecting the machines.

SAM's was interesting because not all items on the shelves can be purchased. We wanted to buy the Cedar Gazebo they had on display. They said it was prohibited under the COVID-19 guidelines. Curious that as I could buy all the parts, lumber, fasteners, metal roof sheathing, etc at Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards.

We spent Thursday and Friday at the ranch reclaiming the back yard and some of the lawns around the RV house. Sumac trees were everywhere. It rained this morning making the gravel roads dangerous. Last thing I want is to put my truck, loaded with 2,500 llbs of 2" clean limestone gravel, down on it's frame again. It has been a post turtle once already this year.

So we cut the trip short and came home in time for Easter. Since we cannot go to Mass, we might serve communion at home, family style.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Busy day yesterday. Got dressed by 11:50am. Made several trips from the living room to the kitchen to inspect the contents of the refrigerator. We did take 4 of the kids to town for a drive just to get out of the house and get a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.