• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dog bath - inside or outside? Winter?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I figure as long as the water in the hose hasn't frozen, I'm going to continue to give my dog its baths outside.

I'm debating whether to give the winter baths in one of the inside bathtubs or just warm the shop and give the bath out there.

For those of you who do it in the tub, do you have any "techniques" to minimize water going everywhere? I want to get one of those hand-held shower heads but can't seem to find a hose longer than 5' (which isn't enough).

While getting the bath, the dog won't shake. After I let her out of the tub, that's when she cuts loose. Also, any towel for drying automatically means play time with it.

The current setup is the dog goes in a Rubbermaid tub for the bath. Back legs are on the bottom, front legs stand on the side. I hose her down, shampoo, rinse then tell her to get out.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I figure as long as the water in the hose hasn't frozen, I'm going to continue to give my dog its baths outside.

I'm debating whether to give the winter baths in one of the inside bathtubs or just warm the shop and give the bath out there.

For those of you who do it in the tub, do you have any "techniques" to minimize water going everywhere? I want to get one of those hand-held shower heads but can't seem to find a hose longer than 5' (which isn't enough).

While getting the bath, the dog won't shake. After I let her out of the tub, that's when she cuts loose. Also, any towel for drying automatically means play time with it.

The current setup is the dog goes in a Rubbermaid tub for the bath. Back legs are on the bottom, front legs stand on the side. I hose her down, shampoo, rinse then tell her to get out.Run like hell !
I added one last step for you .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Allan, I took that one as a "given".

As I told my kids when we were giving the dog its first bath (a first for them), "If you don't come out of it as wet as the dog, you probably didn't give it a good bath".

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our dog gets a bath in the house even in the summer time. My daughter usually gives her bath in the master bedroom shower. It is large enough easily for a dog and a person or two. When done our dog can shake in the shower the first time with no problem and not make a mess. After the first shake out she goes and a towel is there handy to dry her down. She actually even kind no of likes it. Don't have to pull her or yank on her to get in the shower.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Other than when it's really cold out, my dogs get the cold hose outside. They have to be really stinky and it has to be so cold that I don't want to freeze my hands off before I bring them inside for a bath. They hate the tub and flail around making a huge mess.

My old labXweimaraner once dove into a partially frozen lake to chase ducks. He hopped out and hiked an hour in the snow after that without any ill effects.

Sure they shiver while getting hosed down but they don't seem any worse for it after the fact.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
It's impossible for my dog to freeze his balls off, so.....outside it is!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the dogs get a bath when the wife says they get a bath - and I lock her in the bathroom with one and a pile of towels.
when the screaming & yelping stops, I crack the door open to see how bad it is and decide whether or not to toss in more towels and wedge the door shut or to let the pup out while she recovers...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
the dogs get a bath when the wife says they get a bath - and I lock her in the bathroom with one and a pile of towels.
when the screaming & yelping stops, I crack the door open to see how bad it is and decide whether or not to toss in more towels and wedge the door shut or to let the pup out while she recovers...
That sounds like it could fit into the category of "Who's your real friend?"

Attachments

• Best Friend.jpg
    Best Friend.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 83

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They don't get a bath unless they get in the cows**t or a dead animal. Too many baths are bad for a dog as the detergents help break down the natural lanolin in their coat. We take them in a big rubbermaid stock tub in the basement and use luke warm water when we do bathe them. They are going to shake no matter what you do. The big birds like to take showers with me sometimes. It helps to keep the dust down.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
That sounds like it could fit into the category of "Who's your real friend?"

:D
she wants the dog to be clean - she can deal with it.

if I want the dog to be clean (for example - after he goes slogging through a much hole) - I make sure it's warm and sunny enough we can both dry out in comfort.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They don't get a bath unless they get in the cows**t or a dead animal. Too many baths are bad for a dog as the detergents help break down the natural lanolin in their coat.
My dog has stashed some dead animals. The day I give her a bath, she goes and rubs her back in them. I finally think I've gotten them all out.

As for frequency, I believe that it also depends on the shampoo. The one I use allows you to shampoo as often as desired. Her coat stays incredibly shiny.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
We took Morgan in down in Florida last year as the place had just opened and had a special. The results were good and did relieve a little of the smell from a summers worth of rolling in deer dung. We will do the same this year before we leave. For the amount of work involved and the frequency of baths is why we just take her in.

If they were meant to have a bath all of the time they would not shake the way they do when they get wet.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Timba likes to sit in muddy puddles, but doesn't do baths, she seems to keep clean and not smelly anyway. If she finds something disgusting and smelly she likes to rub her neck in it and that has to be washed, but apart from that............