• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I think it's time...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I never know what to say in these type threads, but hoping just showing we care helps. The words are hard to come by for sure.
Me too... I've read every post but have a hard time coping with this so I don't normally post.

I have a hard time with losses like this. Real hard time.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the kind words Doc. Sounds like you've had experience too.

Well, the rescues. HHMM, Jan has always collected our wayward friends. The cats are real easy to get. We have had neighbors that give them up to us, for one thing. We always take them to the vet and have them checked out before we let them into the gang. Seems once you have a couple of them, the rest show up by themselves. We've got a huge orange tiger
tom, named Jake. He was left on our enclosed side porch by someone as a kitten. A couple have been females that were pregnant when we got them. Let them have the kittens, then had them spayed. The vet lets us post photo at her office, and the kittens go fast. We have the people come to our house to pick them up. They don't know we're checking them out. If any look like bad candidates, they don't get a critter.
We've also live trapped them. Some are so bad off that you have to put them down though. I recued a 5 or 6 week old kitten from the plant that a woman said had bit her. We caught the cat, but no way that cat bit anyone. I still had to take to the shelter to be observed for a week. Needless to say, she's lived with us for a couple years now.
The dogs just come to us also. I've got a 10 year old female Malamute, that I got for $100. She's a beautiful dog. The only rescued dogs we have now are Spike the BorderCollie, and a Shitzu, Ernie that was given up by some not too great people. I actually stole Spike. He was tied up for days at a scumbag crack dealers shack, on a 6' lead tied to the top of a clothes post. Jan was doing home care then, and this was one of her clients. I walked up, untied him, and he just jumped into the truck. Jan called the pukes mother, her client, and told her what I did. She told Jan to go ahead and keep him. Spike had a brother running around the same neighborhood, that we could never find. I don't know what I'd do with 2 dogs like him. Crap, he's smarter than me.:tiphat: :beer: :beer:

BadAttitude

dzalphakilo said:
My reply is that although you may hurt, remember what joy you had together with your pet, and if you can give another animal the same "love" that you had, look at the "life" you can give to another pet.
Very well said...never thought of it that way

BadAttitude

johnday said:
I get upset myself when I read about any of you guys losing a critter. I find it hard to reply to posts like this because I've had it happen at least once a year. It doesn't get any easier. Right now, I'm watching my 16 year old black lab going down hill. One thing for sure, we'll know it's time for her, when she doesn't want to eat.

Goodluck with what ever you decide.
Thanks John and sorry for your recent loss of Blacky too. I know how you feel about replying to these situations, because I've read those very same words by you elsewhere. You were one who came to mind when I thought of how others deal with it. Multiple times has to be tough, but I also thought it might make it easier to deal with. Guess not...:( I will keep your 16 yr old lab in my thoughts and prayers, and wish you the best in coping with it. Your efforts with caring and raising the rescues as well as the many others that do the same, should be commended. Thanks

John, bc, Doc and anyone else that this may apply to...
Even though you may feel at a loss for words when replying...I know I would too...it still makes a BIG difference just hearing something, even if it's only a couple words of condolence. But I also respect the reason that keeps some of you from replying. Everything that has been said here by you guys HAS been a blessing for me and made coping with it so much easier. Like I said before...my true emotions are always hidden behind a thick wall...and after realizing I opened up a little by reading some of my posts, I just might have to change that way of thinking.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Doc said:
I would like to check into helping out with rescues. Can you guys give me an idea of where to start?

Just check in your local area via newspaper or internet. Humane Society is usually a good place to start.

From experience, keep in mind each organization has it's "own feel" as far as policies and procedures. Some you may or many not like, then you can have some "interesting people" to work with:whistle:

There are lot's of things that you can do to get involved, and any organization I'm sure is looking for ANY help that you may be able to provide.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
From experience, keep in mind each organization has it's "own feel" as far as policies and procedures. Some you may or many not like, then you can have some "interesting people" to work with
And you're going to find some reeaaaallllly interesting groups and people.

A friend of mine who owns a farm went to one of the places to get a dog. They wouldn't give him one since it will be outside. :eek: :moon:
Like a border collie needs to be inside every day/night and only be taken out for a little play time and to take a leak. Without mincing words, he told them what he thought of their organization and also as to why they're having to put dogs down due to their own stupidity and policies.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our SIL has his name on the bulldog rescue list, saying he would be interested in another bulldog or just keeping one while they found it a home. He told us about one so we did the paperwork to adopt it. On it you list your primary vet. Due to the vet saying the dog we had was not up to date on it's shots they did not contact us. I finally called them and was told my application was turned down. Pissed me off big time. Turns out the vet was refering to our miniture dachshund that had died 1 1/2 year prior. Had they inquired or put a little effort into their background checking they would have found the error. Once I knew why, I was to upset by the way they conducted their business to call and correct the error. ....so I know what you mean about some with stupid policies. They were also supposed to do a home visit before the adoption, so it would have been two trips to our house, and we live over 2 hours away. I think they were looking for an easy out. ...water under the bridge. I've moved on....

dzalphakilo

Banned
That's the "problem/issue" with some groups.

Found a home for a great collie/retriever (sp?) mix for a couple who had two dogs, one passed away and they wanted to get a "buddy" for their "lone" dog.

When we were at their house to give them the dog, they told us of other groupd who wouldn't even give them basic info over the phone about the dogs up for adoption, which they found very disturbing.

Groups for "particular breeds" can be even "more interesting".

Part of the reason why my wife and I got involved is we though we could make a difference.

We like to think that we have common sense, and the sad fact is not all dogs are adoptable.

If you foster, the question is for how long do you keep a dog, and is it addaoptable? We've been lucky with all of our dogs. I would like to think that dogs are like kids. They need proper training and guidance (sp?)

Clover, the Jack Russell in the previous picture is going to a great home this weekend. Long story on the guy getting her, but he and his wife are so excited. Fact is my wife and I will probably be in tears when we leave her their, but...she now has a life that she could never expect, and now we have the opportunity to help yet another dog (just curious how Scrappy, her offspring is going to react without having her around).

But...keep this in mind. I've taken some phone calls over the phone on people asking about dogs, and you would be very SURPRISED on some of the "people out there" and some of the questions I get asked.

BadAttitude

dzalphakilo said:
Clover, the Jack Russell in the previous picture is going to a great home this weekend. Long story on the guy getting her, but he and his wife are so excited. Fact is my wife and I will probably be in tears when we leave her their, but...she now has a life that she could never expect, and now we have the opportunity to help yet another dog (just curious how Scrappy, her offspring is going to react without having her around).

Must be a quite a warm feeling knowing you gave Clover another chance at a good life.
Goof for you and your wife:a1:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Dargo had over 30 grand mal seizures on Wednesday. They were pretty well back to back with no break in between. . .his seizures were extremely violent and they lasted way longer than normal.

. . . and decided that it was unlikely that he had epilepsy.

I'm a bit behind in my reading & posting lately, so I just read this thread and found this.

We had a 135# Alaskan Malamute named Thunder who did the same thing. He was the last Malamute trained by the guy who trained the police dogs for Gary, IN P.D. because he bit right through the protective suit during training! He was an amazing dog, probably the best I ever owned; and the last I had trained professionally. The vets ruled out epilepsy. Turns out they were wrong. No offense meant, but you might want to get a second opinion when Dargo is able to have another vet examine him.