• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2100 parts vs spryte parts

spencerhenry

it sure seems that there are quite a few 2100's out there and for relatively little money. i am just wondering what parts from a 2100 could be used on a spryte. for example, a spryte i was looking at had some funky narrow tracks on it. to replace a set of tracks is no cheap thing to do, but i know where i can get a decent running 2100 with good tracks.
i did a little looking but was unable to find many specs on a 2100. they both run an oc-12, but what is the width difference between a spryte and a 2100? what is the pitch of the tracks on a 2100 vs a 1200? i know that 2100 tracks are alot wider, but the grousers are the same shape, is the bolt pattern in the grousers adaptable to the 1200? what about track length?

tomelroy

There are 2+ different types of grouser used on both 2100 and 1200's. You are probably taking about the "j" style. A Wide Track spryte has a narrower axle width than a 2100. A standard track spryte has a narrow axle width than a wide track spryte. You cannot put a WT Spryte track on a standard track spryte without chopping of some of the inside of each track so it wont rub on the tunnel.

2100 Pitch is the same, tracks length is similar, To get a set of 2100 tracks on a Spryte would be alot of cutting.

spencerhenry

there are the obvious things like track width and axles width, but my question is more geared to ability to interchange parts. are the wheels the same? tire size the same? is the bolt pattern in the grousers the same so that a 2100 grouser could be cut down to make a grouser for a 1200? how about sprockets? i assume the ring and pinion the same, and the drop boxes but the axles and axle tubes are obviously longer. if the pitch of the tracks is the same, then theoretically i could use the belting off of a 2100 to make a set of 1200 tracks? how about sprockets?
i know of a 2100 close by to me for a really cheap price that has recent belting, good sprockets, couple of spare hydraulic pumps, and many other parts. i dont want a 2100 but at the price i think i can get it for, it may be worth it for the parts even though it is a running cat.

tomelroy

same wheels, same tire, same sprocket, there are 2 or 3 ring and pinions for the oc-12, drop box gears, will all work. Not sure on grousers or track guides. If its a good running cat...just build a full cab for it and run it.

This one looks like they put a set of WT spryte tracks on it.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 219
Tire guides are the same but the bolt pattern on the grousers are different. You could possibly drill new holes to make the grousers work on a custom track width of your own design. I had a 1200 with the 36" tracks at the same time I had a 3700 which has the same tracks as the 2100. I wanted to widen the 1200 tracks by making then asymmetrical and replace every other grouser with a wider 3700 grouser but I could never get the bolt pattern to work out.

I did see a 1200 that had been converted to having the 2100 running gear put under it and it was pretty neat. It was for sale and advertised as the ultimate deep snow cat. I think you could buy a 2100 in good mechanical shape and put a custom cab on it that was forward mounted or a van or truck body too and end up with a very nice cat.

Wayne

I think the bolt pattern for the 2100 has 4 inches between the grousers and the 3700 has 4.5 inches between grousers. Of course there are, I believe two different lengths of grousers for the 2100 and the 3700. It depends on whether they are symmetrical or asymmetrical. I think the symmetrical track for the 3700 runs two 8 inch belts on the inside and the outside and the asymmetrical runs two 8 inch belts on the inside and one 8 inch belt with two 5 inch belts on the outside. The 8 inch belts have three holes to attach the grouser and the 5 inch belt uses two bolts to attach to the belt. They both run 8 inch wide and 5 inch wide belts. The sprockets are different, different diameter and number of teeth. The 2100 tracks I just rebelted had 72 grousers, using two 8 inch belts on the inside and two 8 inch belts on the outside.

I don't know what spacing there is for the grousers on the Spryte so I don't know if you could use the belting from the 2100 with holes spaced at 4 inches for the belts with inside and outside grousers, and 9 inches for the outside belts.

I know I had two different ring and pinion gear ratios to choose from and two different drop box ratios to choose from when I rebuilt the OC 12 rear end a couple of years ago.