• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hog trailer to snocat trailer?

snowbird

Any opinions on the wisdom of converting my old 5th wheel 6/20 hog trailer into a snotrac trailer? :mellow: I know I'd need to make a pair of "risers" to get the snotrac above the wheels since it's only 6 feet between them. I'm not sure how much structural stength is built into the sides so if I converted it into sort of a flatbed the gooseneck hitch wouldn't be strong enough?

Attachments

• hog trailer to snotrac trailer.jpg
    hog trailer to snotrac trailer.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 368

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Any thing is possible,but that would be alot of work, best keep looking for a better option.IMHO:smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowbird,

I would be very afraid to do this. the sidewalls and the roof and bows are structural, and removing them without adding considerable steel under the floor and to the frame woud be required. Could be done, but I don't think it would be cost effective....Maybe trade it off?

Regards, Kirk

snowbird

Thanks for the input. I'd suspected the trailer would be weakened without the sidewalls. Maybe I could salvage the axles at least. There's probably not much demand for a used hog trailer.:sad:

northeastheavy

If you figure that you need a deck over due to the width of most snowcats, you would have to construct a new floor level above the tires and it just ain't worth it!!
Although, a second floor might put the strength back in???? Still too much work!!!

You just need to find a hog farmer with a deck over for sale!!

the old trucker

I would bring the trailer to a metal fab shop & tell them what your plans are, they should be capable to answer your questions. I think the major structural frame is already there in the floor & goose neck. Just my 2 cents worth.
OT.