• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First or last model for a pickup

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I am considering purchasing a new half ton pickup. I am looking at Ford, Chevy, and Dodge and weighing all the options. The Chevrolet Silverado will be all new for 2007 (and look like the 07 Tahoe); the others will be the same. If I find the Silverado to be what I like best, should I buy an '06 model or wait for the '07? What's everyone's opinions on buying the first year of a new model vs buying the last year of a model? Any advantages to either?

Lawrence

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they changing anything other than the looks of the Chevy?

Buying the last year of a model "might" change it's value when you sell as it's an older body style, but if you get an '06, you can probably get a better deal.

jwstewar

Like Brian said it depends.

If you are going to keep it and like the older body style better, buy the '06.

If you are likely to not keep it, buy the '07. You can usually recoup the difference in cost when you resale. People perceive the older body style as old, even though it may only be a year or 2 old.

Now you have the other factors. Being a new model, are all of the bugs worked out vs. what can you get in the new one that isn't available in the old one (see I told you people think of them as old:toilet: ).

I had a '97 K1500 that I really like and had put about $8k worth of options on. When the '99 Silverados came out, I had to have one because of the heated leather seats, heated mirrors, and the Auto Trac 4WD. I absolutely love my '99 Silverado, have had very few problems and those were minor. My truck was ordered the last day you could order '99s (should have waited for a 2000 and gotten the 4 door extend cab) but I know of folks that have early model '99s and have had a lot of ABS & Window problems. Looks like GM got their stuff together mid-model year.

Now I'm wanting a 3/4 Crew Cab w/ a long bed and Duramax/Allison combo. I don't want to buy now though because I want to wait until 2008 when the redesign comes out for the heavy duty trucks.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Are they changing anything other than the looks of the Chevy?

I haven't read/heard about any other changes, but it's possible.

jwstewar said:
Being a new model, are all of the bugs worked out

I had thought about that. The last year for a model means that is as good as it gets for that generation. Buying the first year model means it may have a few issues.

Cityboy

Banned
FWIW - I like to buy late in the current model year. Dealers tend to be more willing to drop the price then. I've bought 4 vehicles that way between August and November.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Just when I had decided to wait a while before buying a new pickup...GM announces 0% financing. Now all of the big three have 0% for at least 60 months. Decisions Decisions...

Cityboy

Banned
I hear they tend to not want to negotiate price when they offer the 0% deals. I'd be sure to do the math before I bought.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
This is the time of the year to get the best deals as the manufacturers are wanting to close out the older inventory and set up for the new models coming out. I have bought several trucks at this time of year and you get the best deal now if you plan on keeping the unit long term. The deal can become even sweeter if you do not have to finance. Cash always talks and by not trading it even gets better. Dealers may also have hidden manufacture to dealer incentives that can come into play if you push them some.