• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Steel Track? Fiberglass vs. Steel Pontoons

I just saw posting for a Tucker 543 on ebay and the seller states that the steel pontoons are less troublesome than the fiberglass pontoons. I recall reading somewhere that the fiberglass pontoons are better.
Can someone that has experience with both enlighten me as to the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,
Sno_Dawg

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen fiberglass ones that were split. They would be alot quieter though. Fiberglass will take more of an impact than steel before showing damage but then steel can be fixed with a hammer, torch and welder. The broken ones I saw were wide track and maybe just became delaminated with age. Didn't seem that big of a deal to fix them. Did I mention they would be alot quieter?

str8rbill

Steel doesn't crack and shatter when you run over a stump that you couldn't see.
Early steel pontoons are also consideribly different than later production versions.
The early production pontoons have internal braces of 3/16ths by 1 1/2' running left to right[on the forward and aft face of the pontoon] that is welded directly to the 16 guage outer sheet metal.They also use a female threaded attachment for all of there wear parts.
Later production pontoons use an internal frame work of 1/4 by 1 1/2" flat bar welded to 3/4" angle iron as an internal frame,and then the outer skin is then welded to it.They also incorperate studs[actually bolts welded from the inside]to mount the track wear parts.