• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SUV tire recommendations?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NOTE: I posted this earlier but it didn't accept the post????

Need a new set of tires. Help.

The lovely Mrs_Bob drives a Volvo XC90, stock they come with road tires and that is basically a good tire for most conditions but it could be a bit better in the snow. We are not in the heavy snow belt, but we are off the beaten path and the county plow gets out here only after others get plowed. So I'd like to get a good all season tire that grips in snow better than her Michelins do, but is still quiet on the highway.

I've had good success with Dunlop Radial Rovers on several Jeeps and have them on a Mountaineer, but that tire is a bit louder than I think she would like.

Any recommendations?

LarryRB

Cooper ATR's. This is what I had put on my Dodge diesel., And we're in a snow belt. The ATR is quite, wears like iron and has great traction too.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out the offerings by Cooper.

Not a well marketed brand but have some of the best tires out there. Most everyone I know that has a SUV, pickup or larger switches to them after the OEM installed tires have worn out.

Brian

EDIT: Looks like Larry and I were posting at the same time but the mfgr recommendation has been made and got a 2nd on the vote.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe I am blind, but I didn't see a light truck or SUV tire in the correct size on the Cooper website. I suppose it could be I copied the tire size down wrong before the lovely Mrs_Bob drove away to run errands this morning, but I checked the Tirerack.com too. Tire size is a 235 60 18. I don't see that available in the Cooper brand for the types of tires. Am I missing something?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
My wife's Ford Explorer had the dreaded Firestone's and she never got stuck with those tires and we are in a heavy snow area and the road to the main road is uphill and not plowed when she leaves. Ford replace those tires with Michelin's and they also have not given her any problem getting through the snow. The only problem is when she mows down the driveway markers and looses track of where the driveway ends and the lawn starts. More than once I followed her tracks only to dig up a section of lawn. Getting stuck in snow....... no. Staying on the road....... well, that isn't a function of the tires. I think that you should just give it a try first and then if there is a problem, change the tires.

LarryRB

I just took a quick glancing look at Cooper's site and they do have some 18" tires listed, I found the first one under, SUV, mud and snow.. Being on several construction and truck nets too, just about everyone goes Cooper after the originals crap out....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
LarryRB said:
I found the first one under, SUV, mud and snow.

Larry, I passed those up because this is really a kid and sports equipment hauler that drives on the road. Most of those types of tires, at least from other brands, have fairly high road noise.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I decided to go with Pirelli Scorpian Zero tires. There are actually very few "all season" tires that are available in the 235/60-18 size. The Michelin tires wore out too quickly, they were shot at 30,000 miles (currently has 32,000 on them:smileywac with some way too thin tread). I'm hoping for lower road noise, longer wear and better traction too.