• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1st Fencing tournament of the year, 4 medals

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The local high school hosted its first ever Great Lakes H.S. Fencing Conference event. It was a big deal for us because we are a newer member to the conference having only been granted member status last season. They gave us the opportunity to have a medium size tournament (under 200 fencers) and yesterday was the day.

Had 137 kids from about 100 mile radius attend.

My little Saber Co-Captain picked up an 8th place medal in the Girls Saber. I figured she had a pretty good chance at the medals. One of my boys, who I thought had an OUSIDE chance of being in the "top 8" surprised everyone, especially his competition when he took the 3rd place/Bronze medal in Boys Saber. He did an amazing job and nearly defeated the boy who ended up winning the event.

No medals in Boys Foil. But we picked up 2 medals in Girls Foil with our other co-Captain picking up a 3rd place Bronze medal and one of her squadmates taking the 6th spot.

The tournament went very smoothly, I heard no real complaints. The facility was ready when the teams showed up, we had plenty of room for everyone. I think we put on a great show and I hope we get awarded a major event for next year (300 to 400 fencers).

2 thrilled coaches and 4 medal winners!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 99

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys, it really was a great day.

It is also the reason that I have not been around the FF too much lately. Coaching and Repairs are now a 6 day a week "job" eventhough I am an unpaid volunteer. Monday & Wednesday evenings are fencing club evenings. Tuesday through Friday I split my time between 2 different high schools. I am head saber coach at one of those, and I assist the saber coach at the others. Saturday is tournament day ... almost every Saturday from now to the 2nd week of February.

In the photo below on the girl on the left side is Jodie. She is almost like a 2nd daughter to me. My team captain. She is the one, if you recall, who got in a bad car accident a few months ago and who's mom was killed. Really smart kid, on the Academic Decathalon team for the school. She is one of those great kids you run across every once in a great while. Polite, loves God, smart, works hard, always gives her best.

And the kid on the right side of the photo is Destyn. He's also smart and very athletic and a total slacker. He and I get along because I am brutally honest with him, am not polticially correct enough to hold things back. So he actually likes me and, while he recently told a teacher to "f*** off" he treats me with respect, listens to me. Not saying he does everything I tell him to do. Especially not the first time. But he and I seem to "get" each other and he can be a much better fencer than he is. As it is, on a good day he is my best fencer by a long shot. On a normal day Jodie can whip his ass on the fencing strip.

Different as they are, I was incredibly proud of both of them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 93