• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old ACER Laptop DIED

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Since I don't much like this new Lenovo laptop I had been using an ACER laptop that double boots (you might remember that thread) to Ubuntu.
I was using it not more than an hour ago and it just died.
I tried to reboot it and the lights came on but it wouldn't (doesn't) boot up.
Not even into BIOS. In addition I can't even get it to turn off.
I kept trying with no luck so I finally just took out the battery.
Has anyone heard of anything like that?
I am NOT having good luck with laptops.
If I could justify the money I would look around and find a better laptop than this crappy Lenovo. Hopefully there are still some around running Windows 7.
I had to go to the emergency room twice (only a few weeks apart). Due to drug prescription drug side effects. I don't know how much the insurance will pay. That kind of takes away my "mad" money.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My wife really likes her new Acer I got for her birthday. It runs Windows 10 and I have to say I really like it. That saying a lot as I am a OS/X & Linux guy.

Windows 7 will be the next to start losing support. XP is all but dead in that department and I'll bet it won't be long before you start seeing 7 follow suit.

I am not really sure why there is so much dislike for Windows 10. Maybe we just got lucky or are too dumb to know better, I dunno.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Since I don't much like this new Lenovo laptop I had been using an ACER laptop that double boots (you might remember that thread) to Ubuntu.
I was using it not more than an hour ago and it just died.
I tried to reboot it and the lights came on but it wouldn't (doesn't) boot up.
Not even into BIOS. In addition I can't even get it to turn off.
I kept trying with no luck so I finally just took out the battery.
Has anyone heard of anything like that?
I am NOT having good luck with laptops.
If I could justify the money I would look around and find a better laptop than this crappy Lenovo. Hopefully there are still some around running Windows 7.
I had to go to the emergency room twice (only a few weeks apart). Due to drug prescription drug side effects. I don't know how much the insurance will pay. That kind of takes away my "mad" money.

I have an old Dell, (about 14 years old,) that keeps on running when I need it. I have Windows Vista on it and like it more than I do this new HP with Windows 10. I have another Dell laptop that is only two years old. It was small only a 7 inch screen, and that one died not long ago also.

Computers today are not designed to live long. I read an article a while back that said they were built to break down after 5 or so years so you had to buy a new one. I believe it as I have had 6 computers since I started in 1996.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
W10 really is a much better OS than 8 or 8.1, but you must have adequate hardware to run it -- I5 processor at minimum, 8 gb of RAM and a decent graphics card. And don't forget that it's designed for touchscreens, so you should have one of those, too.

My 6 month old Dell has all of the above except the graphics card and it runs fine with W10. Every now and then it will hang up on websites with lots of flash content or Google ads, but otherwise it does all I need. My last 2 Acers were lemons, so I'm sticking with Dell and Lenovo.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
If I buy a new one (no matter what the brand) I will spend the extra to get a better laptop than the more entry level ones like this Lenovo Ideapad.
I noticed that the Windows 10 that came installed on this laptop is much different than the upgrade version of Windows 10.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Hurrah! The only way I could get that Acer laptop to turn off was to take out the battery. Tonight just for the fun of it I put the battery back in; it booted up (it double boots to Ubuntu). I choose Windows and got the choice of "safe mode" or normal I chose safe. Then I went in and out (of that) and came back in as normal.
I am clueless :unsure: what happened but VERY happy that it's working again. :clap:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Hurrah! The only way I could get that Acer laptop to turn off was to take out the battery. Tonight just for the fun of it I put the battery back in; it booted up (it double boots to Ubuntu). I choose Windows and got the choice of "safe mode" or normal I chose safe. Then I went in and out (of that) and came back in as normal.
I am clueless :unsure: what happened but VERY happy that it's working again. :clap:

Time to back up all of your data!