• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Switching cell phone OS

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm done with Windows Phone. I had such high hopes for the Microsoft ecosystem idea (laptop, tablet, xBox and cell phone all working together) but it just isn't panning out. The cell phone is the weakest link, so I'm switching to Android and thinking I'll get the Galaxy S5 on Amazon for about $300 new. I think I can just take the SIM card out of my Nokia Lumia and put it in the Galaxy, but not sure. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions?

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Turns out, it wasn't an issue at all. Bought a certified "pre-owned" Galaxy S5 from Verizon for $312 and continued the insurance coverage, so ifinz anything happens to it, I gits me another one fer free. Got the phone today and it already had its own SIM card. The switch over was easy peasy, and now I'm runnin' a Galaxy S5 instead of a special needs Lumia 822. :thumb:

Thanks to all for your input. :yum:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
...but it's still on the worthless google-windows-android os, isn't it?

My iPhone, iPad and MacBook all talk to one another just fine. Seamless, actually. (I don't have a 'gaming' system because I'm older than 16.)

[edit: why would the "iPad" get an automatic link to WalMart from this goofy forum software?]

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
...but it's still on the worthless google-windows-android os, isn't it?

My iPhone, iPad and MacBook all talk to one another just fine. Seamless, actually. (I don't have a 'gaming' system because I'm older than 16.)

[edit: why would the "iPad" get an automatic link to WalMart from this goofy forum software?]

Actually, all of the Windows devices interfaced with each other without issue. As I said, Windows Phone was the weak link -- virtually no usefulness outside of the Microsoft ecosystem, hence, the Android based mobile.

Apple sux donkey ballz 'cause they refuse to play nice with Microsoft, which still dominates enterprise (unless you're a graphics or gamer shop). At least Google understands the merit in cooperating with the powers that be -- I can still access my OneDrive (aka Microsoft cloud drive) with a quick download and install from Google Play.

Cute comment about the gaming system, btw. Clearly you have no children in your house. Or is it an awesome bachelor pad?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You will be happy with the switch. I have the S6 and it is an incredible phone. The battery life improved dramatically with the update to Android 6.0 and the screen is amazing.

Apple. I love OS/X but I hate Apple the company. What to do, eh. All their shit is made in China, but I suppose these Galaxy phones are made their too.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I only use Sony for phones and they have served me well over the years...Android runs well and the features are good apart from the daily spam of offers from Sony but a small price to pay as it does what is says on the tin

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
You will be happy with the switch. I have the S6 and it is an incredible phone. The battery life improved dramatically with the update to Android 6.0 and the screen is amazing.

Apple. I love OS/X but I hate Apple the company. What to do, eh. All their shit is made in China, but I suppose these Galaxy phones are made their too.

I already am pretty pleased. Everything works so quickly and easily on this phone -- Android is so much more functional than WP 8.1.