• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS 1968 Thiokol IMP

jp11

I really enjoyed restoring this IMP. I'd like to restore another snowcat.

Build was August of 1968

I'm the fourth owner. Machine was part of a set of 2 that went to a local private school for XC grooming.

Things I've done.
Had the C4 Rear end rebuild by this summer by Zimmermans Clertrac in PA. All new seals, new ring and pinion gear
New Master Cylinders for steering
New Slave Cylinders for steering (snowcat pat stainless upgrades)
Replaced old generator with a Delco 78 Amp alternator.
9k lb winch installed
Plow blade for the front. I've never used it.
Drag does NOT come with the rig. It belongs to my club.
Installed a custom aluminum box on back deck. It's got a 20 gallon fuel tank, (plus still has 10gal factory tank internal) toolbox space, and separate battery side that has a dual battery setup. Isolator lets the batteries not fight. There's a red top optima for starting and winch. There's a blue top optima that's brand new for Lights, and for a fuse block that's in the cab for any future stuff.
Tires were all filled
Valves were just adjusted and new valve cover gaskets.
Carb was rebuilt good as new (took a kit from german ebay for all the RIGHT parts, not just close)
Springs were all re-bent. All new spring hardware.
All of the bearings in the wheels were done. Timken made in the USA bearings.
New Mounts for C4
Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, and converted it to electronic ignition.. no more points!

What's left? some insulation and an interior rug on the walls were all that was left on my list.

Obviously... I put A LOT into this IMP. Yes, I kept a spreadsheet. I probably shouldn't have. :)

I enjoy running it. It's nimble as can be, and floats like a cork. I like grooming, and I'm thinking of restoring another bigger cat, likely a tucker.

Located in Minot ME.
price is 12k.
A guy with cash in his hand, and showing up with a trailer might get a bit better deal, but I like it so much that no one's gonna get a 'steal'

I've got tons of pics of the resto. jpiper1073@gmail.com

Attachments

• DSC_2130.jpg
    DSC_2130.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 852
  • IMGA0231.jpg
    IMGA0231.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 854
  • IMGA0182.jpg
    IMGA0182.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 860
  • IMGA0158.jpg
    IMGA0158.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 857

jp11

A couple interested.. but no one has convinced their wife yet that they HAVE to get a snowcat.

:)

Sure is plenty of snow for one this year.

JP

jp11

All the way across the border to NH. Lancaster I believe he said it was. It went from one Captain (airplane) to another Captain (ocean going tug) :)

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to be a great rig. Maybe I'll see it up there one day. Can't wait to see your next project.

Welcome Tucker to your life!

jp11

Can't wait to see your next project.

Welcome Tucker to your life!

I picked it up an hour after the IMP left. 1992 ASV Track Truck. My club has owned it for 4 years. It needs very little. Couple little hydro leaks. I'm going replace and crank up the turbo, add some fuel.. and it should push 100HP. I've been running and maintaining it already for the last 4 years. It needs a paint job, and the aux diesel tank has a leak.

I wouldn't have sold the IMP if the club didn't want to buy a Tucker. We got a 1990 Tucker two weeks ago. That will be in the barn for me to play with too. We're gonna run it a few more days.. no drag, just limbing a LOT TALLER!

Guy that bought the IMP is just going to use it to groom his land out to the main trail I think. Nice guy. He's already talking paint and interior. Maybe you'll see it around.

JP