• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A bullet lodged near his vitals, President Reagan did not need a teleprompter.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder, really, how the current President would handle the crisis.

When President Ronald Reagan was shot on this day, March 30, in 1981, it was anything but funny. The assassination attempt by John W. Hinckley Jr. required the President to undergo surgery and seriously wounded three others.
But Reagan knew it was also important to convey to the country that he was going to be OK. And — before he was told that others had been injured — he knew that humor could get that message across, perhaps better than any other official reassurance. According to TIME's coverage of the assassination attempt, the very first thing he said to the First Lady when she arrived at the hospital was, "Honey, I forgot to duck," a reference to a one-liner used by boxer Jack Dempsey.
The magazine compiled this list of his best reactions to the shooting and his own injuries:
> To surgeons, as he entered the operating room: "Please tell me you're Republicans."
> In a written note, upon coming out of anesthesia in the recovery room (paraphrasing Comedian W.C. Fields): "All in all, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
> In another note, recalling a Winston Churchill observation: "There's no more exhilarating feeling than being shot at without result."
> In a third note: "Send me to L.A., where I can see the air I'm breathing."
> In yet another note written while surrounded by medical staff: "If I had this much attention in Hollywood, I'd have stayed there."
> Complimented by a doctor for being a good patient: "I have to be. My father-in-law is a doctor."
> To an attentive nurse: "Does Nancy know about us?"
> To a nurse who told him to "keep up the good work" of his recovery: "You mean this may happen several more times?"
> To Daughter Maureen: The attempted assassination "ruined one of my best suits."
> Greeting White House aides the morning after surgery: "Hi, fellas. I knew it would be too much to hope that we could skip a staff meeting."
> When told by Aide Lyn Nofziger that the Government was running normally: "What makes you think I'd be happy about that?"
And TIME wasn't Reagan's only admirer on the humor front: That year's Oscars took place the following day, and host Johnny Carson joked that he wanted to call in the President to help punch up the script.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate to think what would happen to our country if our present pres. got shot non-fatally. All the dem voters would riot from coast to coast. I'm sure a superficial flesh would lay him up for the rest of his term and he'd milk it for all he could, LOL!!
Mike

Kane

Well, the good news is that, after six years in office, the kid that writes Obama's speeches is now thirty years old. Isn't it crazy that a veritable youngster writes the words that shape Obama's melodic overtures ... er, must-have teleprompters?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I hate to think what would happen to our country if our present pres. got shot non-fatally. All the dem voters would riot from coast to coast. I'm sure a superficial flesh would lay him up for the rest of his term and he'd milk it for all he could, LOL!!
Mike

I do not see him taking it like a man, he'd be whining like a 10 year old school girl.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Years ago PBS had a special on about the day Reagan got shot. They had extraordinary footage of the emergency room, and the doctors who cared for him. At one point when they realized that his wound was bleeding heavily and that it had hit a lung, the doctors had to cut into Reagans chest, and they did it without anesthesia. I'm sure that had to be painful, but you never once heard Reagan call out in pain. He was truly a remarkable soul. I only wish we had someone like him at the helm again.