• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Carry Regs in Kansas?

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Last week Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce introduced SB-45, The Kansas Constitutional Carry Bill; it already has
twenty-five co-sponsors! It would allow any Kansan who can legally possess a gun to carry it concealed without having to
go through any lengthy (and expensive) processes to obtain a CCL. With that many co-sponsors it has a good chance of
getting through the legislative process and making it to Governor Brownback's desk; what its fate would be there is
still a question.

This would be a real boon to folks living in areas where access to the training required for a current CCL is limited or
nonexistent, and those whose economic situation prohibits the outlay of the training and processing costs, currently $250 -
$100 for the training and another $150 for the background checks and actions at the AG's office.

Any Kansans still here on FF should contact their state legislators and urge them to support this landmark bill!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Like the kid says ..Im not in kansas any more...but I will send a letter anyway...

we do own property around the home place..so I guess we can claim.....half ass kansans status!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they going for a 'Constitutional Carry' law? Or a 'Shall Issue' law with simple background check?

Here in Indiana we are a 'Shall Issue' state and are trying to convert it to a 'Constitutional Carry' type of law.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they going for a 'Constitutional Carry' law? Or a 'Shall Issue' law with simple background check?

Here in Indiana we are a 'Shall Issue' state and are trying to convert it to a 'Constitutional Carry' type of law.
I guess my OP wasn't clear; sorry. This is straight Constitutional Carry, to replace the CCL law already on the books, much as
the effort in Indiana.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Constitutional.... we would still have the option of the license that would be good in most other states.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The bill came out of committee favorably endorsed and is headed for the floor for a vote of the full Senate. Since there
are a total of 45 senators and the bill had 26 co-sponsors, it looks petty good for passage!

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The bill was passed by the Senate, with only one small amendment to clarify that the bill does not apply to Kansans
under 21 years of age. To say it had overwhelming support would be accurate; it was passed to the House by a Senate
vote of nearly 5-to-1 in favor, with two abstaining. It seems a sure bet that it will also pass the House without further
amendment and will go to the Governor for action; he has said that if it gets to his desk he will sign it.

The next two or three weeks are going to be interesting, as the local Bradys had so little success working against this bill
that they are crying for support from the Head Office! Of course, even help from that quarter isn't likely to help. More
updates when info is available.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Little Mikey Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety (EGS) has it's puppets here in Kansas lobbying against the bill. They
don't seem to be making much headway though; it sailed through the Senate with overwhelming votes and was just
passed out of the House committee by a quick voice vote and is headed for the full house.

Perhaps, just perhaps mind you, the email EGS sent out yesterday may be biting them in the butt. In an attempt to
defeat campus-carry bills in Florida and Nevada their email said, among other things, and this is a direct quote,
“You think
your drunk, college-age daughters are bad with their phones? Imagine them with guns.” They have a way with words, eh?

The House should vote on this next week; I'll post again then and again when Governor Brownback signs it.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The House passed it today with only a couple of grammatical changes, and sent it back to the Senate for concurrence; the Senate agreed with the technical changes and passed it as amended. It is now on its way to the governor for signature.

The Bradys and Bloomberg's Everytown people were here for the last couple of weeks lobbying like crazy to get amendments added that would basically kill it. They failed completely. :clap::smile:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It's sitting on Governor Brownback's desk for signature. He has previously indicated he would sign such a bill, but there is a
massive campaign being waged by the Brady/Bloomberg faction to have it vetoed so we should hold off cheering for a few
more days; we should know the final outcome by week's end.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Constitutional Carry in Kansas is a Done Deal! :clap: Governor Brownback signed it yesterday; it will take effect on 1 July.
Kansas now joins the ranks of such right-thinking states as Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, Texas, Arizona, and (at least most
of) Montana. Since this is valid only within the borders of Kansas CCL's are still available to ensure reciprocity with other
states.

The local rep for Everytown (etc.) had a kitten because the Governor "ignored" her and her group, 'degrading the safety
of Kansas citizens'. Perhaps he listened to me; I pointed out that a person legally carrying openly could become a felon
if he was so bold as to quickly throw on a jacket when a sudden shower struck! :yum: The Brady Bunch were fit to be tied
as well, although I don't suppose this had anything to do with today's news about Sarah. :sad:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Good deal...now I hope Mo. makes a few changes to their carry laws......