• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gretchen 4/12/2003 - 1/15/2017

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry PG... :sad:

Our Daisy dog, a snoodle, is 17 years old, and I have to wonder when our day will come with her. She still gets around very well, but tooth loss is a problem and soft food is best..

I know it is hard, I had to put down a Husky that was only 5 last year due to mouth cancer. Hardly a day goes by I don't miss him... :sad:

Gretchen will be in your heart and mind forever. She knows that to.

Some day when our time is done I hope we get to be with out pets that passed before us. That really would be heaven....

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much you've loved that dog and how much she was a friend to you.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry PG.

Special pets become our whole world. You were fortunate to have her and she was fortunate to have you for her time on earth.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Very sorry PG. Our pets are so very important to us and in reality the best friends we ever have in life.

My sincere condolences.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
PG, I'm so very sorry. Nothing that I can say will help at this time but you and Gretchen will be in our prayers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhh so sad. So so sorry for your loss.. Nothing easy about it. Best wishes. Will be thinking of you.

Leni

I've lost so many over the years. Each one hurts as much as the last one. After a while you remember her with with fond memories.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for the kind words... from the bottom of my heart.
Private messages and emails all.

Gretchen was as much a part of this forum as I've been all these years.
Many of us have shared the loss of a pet here and I want you to know, I sincerely felt what you all have expressed with Gretch passing.

I knew her time would soon be coming to an end and even said many times that one of these nights I'll come home from work and find her gone.
Or wake up in the morning and find her gone.

She had a diagnosed condition of collapsing trachea, with a harsh gagging cough that would come in spurts when least expected.
The next minute, she'd be racing through the house like a puppy.

I don't think that's what took her. I think it was heart failure from the way she was on the bathroom floor last night when I found her.

At first I wondered if I picked her up and held her that it would all be okay.
It wasn't.
She died while I was holding her up close under my neck and asking God to please let me have her a little longer.
Wrapped her in a fleece blanket with her plush devil friend, then put her in a heavy plastic bag and put her on the floor beside the bed and cried hard, then felt a selfish anger that lasted well into the night.

Not much sleep either and went to a political forum almost wanting to rage against the simple minded rants when I was sitting here reeling from something so personal.
So I went to the nurses forum for a while and woke this morning in a fog on 4hrs sleep.

This morning, I called my friend Jane and told her.
She asked me if I wanted her and her hubby to come in and help bury her.
I said yes please.
When they got here, Larry asked me if they could take her out to their farm and bury her.
I asked him why.
He said well, you've often said you don't intend to live where you are for the rest of your life.
We are. Gretchen will be someplace you always come to, she'll be in a good resting place with our pets.

My family are heartbroken, my friends have been the best today at work.

Coming home to an empty feeling quiet house is something I am not used to.
It will get better as time passes.

One of my residents said something to me today which made me melt and have a short burst of tears again.
"The fact that she lived to be 14 years old is something you should hold close to your heart because of the love and good care you gave her."

Again, thanks for the puppy love and kind words.
I love you all.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have no words that can ease the pain. Be thankful for the time you had with her.

I saw firsthand what a collapsed tracheal tube does to a dog. My mother's chiwauwa was only 5 when it happened. Just know that she's in a better place now.

loboloco

Oh geeez. Broken heart. Know you loved her so much. But don't worry. Come the time, she will be waiting at the entrance to the golden fields and you and her can play to both of your hearts content without pain, hunger or tiredness.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Lollie, my heart aches for you. You loved her so very much and the loss cuts like a knife, but she died in your arms and that was likely a comfort to her, knowing she was loved til the end; it would have been worse had she gone alone.

Our Tailor Blue has been gone for almost two years and we are just starting to talk about another cat. Healing takes time - take what you need - we love you and will be here for you.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just saw this post this morning and I am in tears. Like you, I lost Brandy at 14 yo. Please know that I am feeling your pain within my own pain all over again. Hugs!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Lollie, my heart aches for you. You loved her so very much and the loss cuts like a knife, but she died in your arms and that was likely a comfort to her, knowing she was loved til the end; it would have been worse had she gone alone.

Our Tailor Blue has been gone for almost two years and we are just starting to talk about another cat. Healing takes time - take what you need - we love you and will be here for you.

Thank you dear one.

As each hour passes, I am accepting her being gone.
It's been rough, especially at night.
This morning as I walked around the house, I looked at her food and water dish in the kitchen, all the toys she had scattered around, and her chew chew and even her little short hairs on the pillow case on the bed.

All of those things are going to stay where they are for right now.
I am also keeping the television and radio on 24/7 and lights on in most rooms.
It helps making it feel less empty.

Aunt Rosemary and I talked this morning.
She said you must get another dog immediately.
Told her that wasn't going to happen, no more dogs.
Uncle Harry chimed in and said then get a cat!

Right now I think I am done having pets.
Perhaps one day when I retire and move into a little apartment, I will get another small dog.
Or like a crazy, wonderful friend suggested : a Galapagos tortoise, because they live a long long time. :hammer::yum:
Brother.. lol

I am doing well with this now.
Gretchen can never be replaced, I loved her with such a passion like no other Dachshund in my life, except for maybe Sophie, my one time tweenie black and tan, she came awfully close to the way I feel about Gretch.

So don't worry about me.
I'll be okay.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't think it is a good idea to get another dog right away. You will know when the time is right. You will find each other and you will know you should be together. It took me three years to get over my Jack Russell, but everyone is different how they heal.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
I am very sorry for your loss! I don't think "dog" spelled backwards is a mistake! I have never seen such unconditional love and acceptance in my entire life, as I have from my dogs. They have taught me many great things about living life, on life's terms. I cried when I read your description. It's truth is heart rendering.

My wife and I have four "kids".................three inside, one outside. Our lives would be incomplete without them. Thank you for sharing here, it has reinforced the depth of the feelings we share for our animal companions.

God be with you, now and always......................

I know, it might be too soon, but remember, there is a four legged friend that truly NEEDS you, when you're ready.

Tony

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh PG. I cannot believe I missed this announcement. My heart goes out to you.

Gretchen was so special I could read the emotion every time you posted her name.

It has been my experience that no loved one, pet or human , can ever be "replaced." Keep her memory as it is.

Special.

But others will come in, be receptive. It's how life goes on.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Tony and Franc.
Your words sure do mean a lot to me.

Everyone has been so kind with their understanding of what it means to adore and say goodbye to a 4-legged bundle of love.

We have therapy dogs who come in now to visit our residents.
Today was Jesse the Blue Heeler's turn.
I stopped what I was doing when Amber walked him down the hall to visit my people.
I said I need some of what he has to offer, and Amber knew about Gretchen.
Bent over and told him to give me a kiss and he did.
Then Amber made me put him through his tricks of sit, shake, now the other paw.
Jesse is a "healer" and I think Gretchen was right there beside him in spirit.
:smile:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We have therapy dogs who come in now to visit our residents.
Today was Jesse the Blue Heeler's turn.
I stopped what I was doing when Amber walked him down the hall to visit my people.
I said I need some of what he has to offer, and Amber knew about Gretchen.
Bent over and told him to give me a kiss and he did.
Then Amber made me put him through his tricks of sit, shake, now the other paw.
Jesse is a "healer" and I think Gretchen was right there beside him in spirit.
:smile:

I got a picture of Jesse from Amber.
I cropped it down so her face wouldn't show.
Don't think Jesse would mind his face on the forums.

29yjucp.jpg