• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Broke leg

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I think I might have broken a steel plate that is in my right leg. The only reason I suspect that is because I have done it on four other occasions. Ever since my younger days when I did football and rodeo, I have had steel plates in both legs to hold them together. I have always had arthritis in my knees and hips, but getting old hasn't helped.

Anyway, I try and do as much walking as possible, and I try to remain active, however this past month I have been having a lot of pain in my right leg. I'm not sure how I did it but I'm pretty sure I either broke the plate or it is on the verge of breaking. Since I have done it many times in the past I know what it feels like.

My friends want me to go to the docs right away, but I want to wait until after the holidays. It would suck going to the hospital for surgery and then to rehab during this time of year. And, then I would be laid up for at least six weeks, I couldn't handle that.

Anyway, I have a high pain tolerance, but it hurts even when I'm in bed. Before I go to bed I have been taking a big shot of Jack Daniels and three extra strength Tylenol, it helps for a while. If it does get to bad I will have to go see the doc sooner. :sad:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Man. That sucks. Having been through hell the past two years I can understand. They wanted to put me under the knife in December but I told them to hold off until January.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah man, I hate to hear that.

There are some things one can suffer through and put off for a while and others that you can't ... no matter what time of year it is.

You know your body better than anyone else so, if you want to delay, it's your decision to make. I'm with you as I tend to put a lot of that stuff off until I think that it's absolutely necessary with no alternative. I could have probably saved myself a lot of pain over the years if I hadn't been quite so stubborn and just given in to the obvious.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck. Hope you can hold off without that causing more issues for you.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Libs, you need to be listening to PG on this one. Don't screw around. Your legs come in real handy when you need to walk.:shifty:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bummer.

A friend of mine just had a second surgery. This time to remove screws and a plate. Was in a lot of pain after it broke loose.

Hope yours is a simple fix.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Bummer.

A friend of mine just had a second surgery. This time to remove screws and a plate. Was in a lot of pain after it broke loose.

Hope yours is a simple fix.

In the past they just went in and replaced the steel plate. I have several in both legs, they kinda hold my legs together. My body doesn't absorb calcium so my bones are weak and I have broken both legs many times over the years. I have broken many bones throughout my body over the years too. Hopefully when I see the doctor it will be just a quick fix like in the past. I may go see her on Monday as the pain is getting worse, especially in the morning, and it is getting harder to get out of the chair. :sad::sad::sad:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Don't they use titanium in you?
Titanium is stronger and lighter than steel.
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1794

That's what they used in me.

My left knee, leg and foot have been internally reconstructed with titanium rods and screws etc.
I also have kind of a rod in my left arm.
All from that traffic accident that also gave me a closed head injury (and seizures).

It was done over 13 years ago and that part of me seems to be holding up pretty well.
Here are some pics. I can joke about it now because the pain is over.

My Knee: This pic has to be my favorite. Good way to get your son to became a surgeon.
More fun than being a metal worker, better working conditions and A LOT more pay!

knee2.JPG

My Leg:
It sure was broken wasn't it?

leg1.JPG

Humerus? I didn't think it was so funny! Sorry surgery joke there.

armjpeg.jpg

Foot/Ankle:

Kind of looks like there are NAILS going into my heel doesn't it?

footnails.JPG

I do limp with the left leg but that is because my left leg is now 1/2 inch shorter than the right leg. I have to have a very expensive built on orthotic lift place on the left shoe.
It costs about $100. That doesn't include the price of the shoes. I need good ones. It helps them to have a good shoe, not a flimsy one to build the orthotic lift onto.
I like Rockport shoes. The last pair I bought cost $55.99.
I don't wear them around the house though. I can walk a bit without the built up shoe.

I can walk really well. I have to since I have seizures and can't drive. Cabs are pretty expensive and the bus stop is probably around a quarter mile from me.
I can't really run now but that wouldn't be good anyway since I might have a seizure and fall over while trying to do so.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a patient on rehab once.
She had an antibiotic cement spacer put in after hers broke because of an infection in her hip after a replacement.

This is why I am so concerned and sure hope it doesn't take the route it possibly could, Mark.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't really run now but that wouldn't be good anyway since I might have a seizure and fall over while trying to do so.

Cat, at my age if I was to try and run I can guarantee that I would have a seizure and fall over. :yum: Getting old is real bitch. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Dayum. At least I don't have steel plates and screws holding me together. This is what I was left with after being hit by a truck at the age of 5. Broken femur that was almost a compound fracture. When the doctor reset it the skin stayed attached to the bone. It healed like that and basically the muscle reformed around the skin. It's made doing things like riding a bike a little difficult as the muscle pulls around the skin. Also have a slight limp as the right leg is a couple inches shorter now. I have the shoe lift as well. Helps to align the hips and spine.

53866b6cd2e12320f3cdb7c9aad689c7.jpg

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Don't they use titanium in you?
Titanium is stronger and lighter than steel.
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1794

That's what they used in me.

My left knee, leg and foot have been internally reconstructed with titanium rods and screws etc.
I also have kind of a rod in my left arm.
All from that traffic accident that also gave me a closed head injury (and seizures).

It was done over 13 years ago and that part of me seems to be holding up pretty well.
Here are some pics. I can joke about it now because the pain is over.

My Knee: This pic has to be my favorite. Good way to get your son to became a surgeon.
More fun than being a metal worker, better working conditions and A LOT more pay!

knee2.JPG

My Leg:
It sure was broken wasn't it?

leg1.JPG

Humerus? I didn't think it was so funny! Sorry surgery joke there.

armjpeg.jpg

Foot/Ankle:

Kind of looks like there are NAILS going into my heel doesn't it?

footnails.JPG

I do limp with the left leg but that is because my left leg is now 1/2 inch shorter than the right leg. I have to have a very expensive built on orthotic lift place on the left shoe.
It costs about $100. That doesn't include the price of the shoes. I need good ones. It helps them to have a good shoe, not a flimsy one to build the orthotic lift onto.
I like Rockport shoes. The last pair I bought cost $55.99.
I don't wear them around the house though. I can walk a bit without the built up shoe.

I can walk really well. I have to since I have seizures and can't drive. Cabs are pretty expensive and the bus stop is probably around a quarter mile from me.

Yep, they are titanium, and the doctor that did the last few surgery's said you are not suppose to be able to break them. I proved 'em wrong. :sad:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
This sounds like something you shouldn't put off. There are times when waiting for several additional weeks can really
exacerbate an injury and make recovery both longer and harder; you don't need that.
:sad:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
OK, back from the doctors visit, and I have good news and bad news

The good news is I didn't break my plate in the leg like I thought.

The bad news is I have been walking around on a fractured hip. I fell in the tub about a month and a half ago and apparently rebroke a fracture from long ago. They also told me I have no cartilage left in that hip and that I should have a hip replacement.

I have to think about that for a while.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, back from the doctors visit, and I have good news and bad news

The good news is I didn't break my plate in the leg like I thought.

The bad news is I have been walking around on a fractured hip. I fell in the tub about a month and a half ago and apparently rebroke a fracture from long ago. They also told me I have no cartilage left in that hip and that I should have a hip replacement.

I have to think about that for a while.

Oh man!
Well you have to do something about it.
So sorry to hear this.
:neutral:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. That's gotta hurt. Take care of it. My mother has had a hip replacement already and she's not even 60 yet. Made a world of difference. She could barely walk before. Now she is able to walk around with little to no pain.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I might have broken a steel plate that is in my right leg. The only reason I suspect that is because I have done it on four other occasions. Ever since my younger days when I did football and rodeo, I have had steel plates in both legs to hold them together. I have always had arthritis in my knees and hips, but getting old hasn't helped.

Anyway, I try and do as much walking as possible, and I try to remain active, however this past month I have been having a lot of pain in my right leg. I'm not sure how I did it but I'm pretty sure I either broke the plate or it is on the verge of breaking. Since I have done it many times in the past I know what it feels like.

My friends want me to go to the docs right away, but I want to wait until after the holidays. It would suck going to the hospital for surgery and then to rehab during this time of year. And, then I would be laid up for at least six weeks, I couldn't handle that.

Anyway, I have a high pain tolerance, but it hurts even when I'm in bed. Before I go to bed I have been taking a big shot of Jack Daniels and three extra strength Tylenol, it helps for a while. If it does get to bad I will have to go see the doc sooner. :sad:

DUDE!!!! You want to die of kidney failure!?!? NEVER EVER take alcohol with NSAID's!!! Please just take the pain killers only! :ermm: