• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rough day at work

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been working with a boy with medical problems for a couple years now. He received a transplant when he was only 8 months old. He's 12 now and his health has been going downhill for the past couple years. There was fear of organ failure. This week as he underwent regular testing they found complications. The doctors did an ultrasound which identified more problems then confirmed this with a CT scan. The young man is now being scheduled for emergency exploratory surgery to attempt to repair what they found. If unsuccessful the end result could not be good. There are also complications with the surgery itself even though it doesn't sound complicated going in through a vein.

We're all preparing and fearing the worst right now for this little guy.:sad: Not sure if he can get another replacement organ right now if this one is infact failing as all signs indicate. Prayers for this young man would be appreciated right now. He needs all the help he can get.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here NR. It's sad that we don't get to pick the day or the method. And to see this possibilty with such a young life is a tradgety indeed. Stay stong and yes the prayers are sent. It's really all anyone can do.

Regards, Kirk

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
Prayers sent. Really sad to hear when someone has to go through something like this, but when its someone so young....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Surgery is set for this friday. Even with the risks that's the good news. Bad news is that he took a turn for the worst last friday and his white blood cell count has dropped to dangerously low levels and his immune levels are basically non existent. He was kept at home basically on bedrest since friday. We're all worried for him. It's one of those situations right now where if he doesn't have the surgery because his system is low, there are serious risks. If he does have the surgery with his system being low, there are serious risks. Needless to say we're all worried...preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today is the day. Prayers for him would be appreciated. We've sent lots of support for both him and his foster mother. It's all up to the surgeons today. Basically, they are going in from a vein in his neck to his heart then proceeding on to the liver. We discovered a couple years ago that his spleen was enlarged. That could mean abnormal blood flow. If the vein ruptures, he could bleed to death internally. There could be blot clots going to his heart. He could require a blood transfusion. With his immune system being soo low he could easily be prone to infection and unable to recover. So it's not a good situation overall. What they suspect is the vein going from his heart to his liver is partially collapsed. They will attempt to insert a balloon to enlarge it. If they get in and find the entire vein blocked it's unsure what they can do. They will also do a biopsy to determine the overall health of his liver. It's suspected that it may be failing. All hope is not lost though. If he can pull through today and the days to come, he is a candidate for another liver transplant.

I just feel bad for this kid. He was dealt a shitty hand right from the start and not given a fair chance in life.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
He pulled through today! They found two blockages and managed to repair them. He's not out of the woods yet though. Biopsy in 4-6 weeks to see how the liver is doing. Other than that, good news today.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He pulled through today! They found two blockages and managed to repair them. He's not out of the woods yet though. Biopsy in 4-6 weeks to see how the liver is doing. Other than that, good news today.

Thanks for the update. Good news overall.

Thanks for letting us know.

Jim

Leni

So glad to hear that. I'll never forget waiting for my daughters results. At 17 she had a tumor in her brain. Turned out to be cancer. She just turned 49. Mind of a child but she is alive.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just got some bad news. We were fighting a battle for this boy before I had my accident. He underwent two procedures already to attempt to widen the veins going to his liver to improve blood flow. Even though I'm not working right now I've kept a close eye on what has been happening with him out of genuine concern. Last week, he had to be flown out to Toronto Sick Kids hospital as he has taken a turn for the worse. He's still holding on but they are going in a third time today to widen the veins to his liver to improve blood flow. He was also told that he is now in the beginning stages of liver failure and another transplant is inevitable. Thoughts and prayers would be appreciated at this time for him and his foster mother. She has also had a rough go this year having separated from her husband. Basically he's all she has right now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thoughts and prayers coming his and his momma's way.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks doc. He and his foster mom came to see me in the hospital shortly after I got out of icu. In the field I work in its more than a job. It's easy to build relationships that go beyond a paycheck and a work schedule.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like he came through this round of surgery and they were able to widen the vein going to his liver. The inevitable is still there though. He will need a second liver transplant but at least they bought some time.

I have a good connection with this kid as I understand the struggles he's gone through all his life. Kind of ironic that both he and I are fighting for our liver.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd give an update. He's been on the waiting list for a liver transplant since last year. They got the call yesterday that a transplant was available so they had to pack up and take the first available flight to Toronto for a transplant this morning. No word yet on how he's doing. I imagine he's still in surgery as I type this. A few prayers would be helpful.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just got this update when I asked how he was doing.

"So after 14 hours in the operating room, he has finally been taken to the critical care unit. The actual transplant went really well, tho they did have a difficult time getting the sick liver out. Then his body started fighting the new liver really hard. This can happen with 2nd transplants. He has had to have a central line put in, the kind they use for dialysis, and they are going to "wash" his blood of the antibodies in an effort to gain control of the situation. He is stable, tho, & I should be able to see my boy in an hour or so. Thanks for all the prayers & good wishes sent our way today. We really appreciate it. "