• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best used truck?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's one thing I always heard about Ford was that their seats are like a park bench where you start to lose feeling in your butt after a half hour.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
at one job my wife worked at she had an f150 ecco boost the company gave her I could sleep in it while she was driving.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My brother has the smaller ecoboost in his truck. I took it for a spin last spring when he was down. Couldn't believe the torque and power it put out for a six banger. Incredible.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I personally think those newer fords are ugly. the other systemic problem you could see, is the vacuum disconnect on the front axle for the 4 wheel drive the shift forks are prone to failure the kit to repair it is only 75 bucks but the whole front axle has to come out to repair it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Im still waiting for the truck to be safetied and ready to register. The owner brought it Friday to get checked out at a garage. They found a couple things that need repaired. Should be ready tomorrow or Tuesday

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well. Finally got the Ford today. When the previous owner brought it for the mechanical safety check at his expense as we agreed upon, the garage found more than even I anticipated. We both knew it needed rear tires and a windshield. Turns out it also had a cracked rear spring, blown left front wheel bearing, and worn right front tierod. So she has new tires, brakes, winshield, wheel bearings, tierods, one rear spring. Good for another 150000kms

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cracked rear spring? That's a weird one. Never heard of that happening before. Was it expensive to replace? Any pics of your new baby? edit to add...I didn't go up far enough. Nice looking truck. Looks like new. congrats

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of that either. Not sure on the cost of anything. The guy I bought it from replaced everything. No expense to me. The truck drives like new.
Interior was a little dirty and the guy smoked in it. Spent an hour cleaning inside and giving it a fresh scent. Much better now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you hunted down a great deal. Good job. You are going to have that puppy all tricked out. :thumb: Enjoy!!!!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
cracked springs are common I have one on my truck right now a good spring shop can make up a new leaf for it. usually the crack from harmonics not being controlled with worn out shocks.

k-dog

When I bought my F250 super duty, the salesman told me to keep the tailgate locked when possible as they were stolen quite frequently. I'm not sure why someone would want to steal a tailgate but I keep mine lock which also prevents most people from accessing truck bed when tonneau cover is down.

Good looking truck you have there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the quality is decent on the tonneau cover, you should be happy. It appears to be very similar in form and function as the one I recommended.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never had a trifold but heard a lot of complaints about getting it out of the way when it's not covering the bed.
If you want to keep the bed contents clean and dry, you'll also want to get that rubber sealer thingy that goes around your tailgate. A lot of misty/dusty crap gets sucked into the closed bed around the tailgate.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That was kind of my thinking. I want to be able to load a quad easily on occasion but still want to be able to protect the smaller misc stuff I may load in the box.

Have I mentioned how high this thing sits in the back. Its stock but wow. I'm 6'3" and find reaching over the side a struggle.

As added insurance/protection today I brought it in for a complete tranny service including filter. Also changed the oil in the rear diff. This way I know what I'm dealing with. Start fresh.

It also got a new air filter since the old one was pretty much clogged. Runs much better now. Seems to have more power.

And what is up with garages inflating tires to the maximum air pressure? ?? The rear tires were changed as part of the safety. They put 50lbs of pressure in them. I dropped that down to about 37 lbs rather quick. No need for that much air unless you're hauling a heavy load. Ride is much better now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We shall see. Never had a tonneau cover before. Wasn't sure on trifold or a roll up one.
Why not a solid one piece? That's what was on the truck I bought and I would not have any other kind now. Works great. Easy to remove, much like a truck topper. But I find I use my trailer rather than remove it most of the time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just find that removing it would be a 2 person job. Kind of a pain in the a $$ when you're in a rush. I like the versatility of being able to quickly roll it up and load whatever I need to load without messing with a trailer all the time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok. I take back what I said about it being somewhat gutless compared to the Chevy and dodge engines. Helps if you change the air filter once and a while. I was done a little early today from work so I swung into one of those quick lube places and got the tranny oil and filter done. Figured id check the air filter at the same time. Let's just say it may have been original. Clogged solid. Im impressed it still ran. The engine actually revs now when I step on it and a stop light instead of burping and farting. Runs much smoother now.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I know that every make of vehicle has their pluses and minuses. I like the truck so far but found a common problem with the fords after doing some research online searching symptoms of an intermitant jerking feeling at around the 40mph mark. It doesn't do it all the time. Shifts fine. Runs smooth. So I was a little baffled till doing some reading. Seems a common problem on the fords is with the fuel pump module. It's an electronic module that send a signal to the fuel pump. Ford mounts this to the rear frame above the spare tire where salt can get to it and corrode the casing over time. I ordered one as a precaution and will change it out. Simple maintenance.
tdisline_104.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So apparently this is what a failed fuel pump module looks like. Haven't changed mine out yet. Hopefully mine isn't this bad. Again, cheap insurance to avoid bigger costs down the road so I'm changing mine out as soon as it comes in.

248282d1376621410t-fuel-pump-driver-module-check-yours-20130815_191547a.jpg

And yet another one. This was off a 2007 f150 the same as mine. The owner was describing the same symptoms I'm experiencing. Again, seems to be a common issue. Seems that aluminum on steel combined with road salt is not a good combination.

102_6031.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would wrapping it in duct tape before attaching help the life of your new one? Or at the very least a good squirt of Fluid Film every season would help for sure. That stuff is awesome. It's like WD-40 x 1000.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What brand/style tonneau cover did you go with?

I have an Access brand cover and love it.
http://www.accesscover.com/

The ebay add didn't specify which brand it was. Turns out it's a tonno pro. I finally made it down to the border tonight to pick it up along with the other stuff I ordered. Installation was simple. Took about ten minutes to install. Looks good. I'm going to wait for warmer weather to install the chrome pieces since I want the 3m tape to stick.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What brand/style tonneau cover did you go with?

I have an Access brand cover and love it.
http://www.accesscover.com/

The ebay add didn't specify which brand it was. Turns out it's a tonno pro.

http://www.tonnopro.com/

I finally made it down to the border tonight to pick it up along with the other stuff I ordered. Installation was simple. Took about ten minutes to install. Looks good. I'm going to wait for warmer weather to install the chrome pieces since I want the 3m tape to stick.