• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Colin Powell Rips CIA Over Sham WMD Source

mak2

Colin Powell Rips CIA Over Sham WMD Source
Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 07:22 PM Article Font Size
By Newsmax Wires

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell is demanding answers from the CIA and Pentagon after an Iraqi defector stepped forward to admit that he fabricated claims that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction in advance of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Powell — who has stated that his prewar speech to the United Nations accusing Iraq of harboring weapons of mass destruction was a "blot" on his record — spoke out a day after Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi told Britain's Guardian newspaper that he made up claims of mobile biological weapons and clandestine factories when making reports to Germany's intelligence service, the BND.

The BND had approached Janabi, who was codenamed "Curveball" by U.S. and German intelligence officials, in 2000 and again in 2002 looking for inside information about Iraq.

"They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime," Janabi told the British newspaper. "I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy . . . Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right. I had a problem with the Saddam regime, I wanted to get rid of him and now I had this chance."

The revelations shocked Powell, who presented America's case against Saddam in a Feb. 5, 2003, speech to the United Nations.

"It has been known for several years that the source called Curveball was totally unreliable," Powell told the Guardian. "The question should be put to the CIA and the DIA [Defense Intelligence Agency] as to why this wasn't known before the false information was put into the NIE sent to Congress, the president's State of the Union address and my 5 February presentation to the U.N."

The DIA is the Defense Department's intelligence arm. The NIE is the National Intelligence Estimate, a classified document that reflects the views of America's 16 intelligence agencies and is given to key policymakers.

In his speech, Powell made mention of "firsthand descriptions of biological weapons factories on wheels and on rails . . . The source was an eyewitness who supervised one of these facilities." That source was Janabi, who now admits it was all a lie.

That fateful presentation by the soldier-diplomat to the world body lent considerable credibility to then-President George W. Bush's case against Iraq and for going to war to remove Saddam from power. Bush and other high U.S. officials cited the threat posed by Iraqi biological weapons as justification for the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

"I'm the one who presented it to the world, and (it) will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It is painful now," Powell said in a 2005 interview with Barbara Walters. In the speech, Powell said he had relied on information he received at CIA briefings.

Although he told Walters that then-CIA Director George Tenet "believed what he was giving to me was accurate," Powell admitted that "the intelligence system did not work well . . . There were some people in the intelligence community who knew at the time that some of those sources were not good, and shouldn't be relied upon, and they didn't speak up.

"That devastated me," he said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/colin-powell-iraq-wmd/2011/02/16/id/386373

Read more on Newsmax.com: Colin Powell Rips CIA Over Sham WMD Source
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frankly, I've lost a lot of respect for the man. He needs to just go away .......

Little late to be mad about something he believed years ago!

grizzer

I think Powell is a closet liberal but also carries a personal sense of responsibility of those body bags stacked like cordwood.

loboloco

The question has never been 'did Saddam have WND?'. It is an acknowledged fact that he had them and used them. the question that has never been answered is 'What happened to the WMD Saddam had?'.

loboloco

I still believe GWB really thought Sadam had WMD. I was convienced at the time.
Mak, it is known that he had WMD as late as 1999. what happened to them or where they went has never been answered. Many people were convinced that he had WMD. I am still convinced that he had them until shortly before the invasion. Where they went has always been the question that bothered me.

loboloco

Syria is one of the most accessible and logical places for them to be moved, if they were moved out of Iraq. I think some of them were moved out, and some were hidden within Iraqi borders.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I thought the Saddam convinced us of the program when he killed so many Kurds at Halabja. What am I missing here?

While you are defending Saddam, tell us about the French, German, Russian, and Chinese support moving NBC materials. Tell us about how we knew that stuff went to Syria? Tell us what happened to it? Tell us about how much Sarin components were found. Tell us how many 60 foot chemical manufacturing trailers were found buried? Tell us about the buried fighter aircraft. Tell us about the training camp within 40 miles of Bagdhad, that looked like an aspirin factory, but in fact included a 747 fuselage, passenger train cars, barracks. Or are you going to deny any of this existed?

And then there's that little problem of tons of yellow cake that was brought back here from there.

mak2

I thought the Saddam convinced us of the program when he killed so many Kurds at Halabja. What am I missing here?

While you are defending Saddam, tell us about the French, German, Russian, and Chinese support moving NBC materials. Tell us about how we knew that stuff went to Syria? Tell us what happened to it? Tell us about how much Sarin components were found. Tell us how many 60 foot chemical manufacturing trailers were found buried? Tell us about the buried fighter aircraft. Tell us about the training camp within 40 miles of Bagdhad, that looked like an aspirin factory, but in fact included a 747 fuselage, passenger train cars, barracks. Or are you going to deny any of this existed?

And then there's that little problem of tons of yellow cake that was brought back here from there.

Who defended Saddam?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We will know where they got to when they are used against Israel. I believe they are scattered to several key regimes in the middle east and they will be used in the future.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And would plutonium triggers be considered "WMD"? Probably not. It's not a complete nuke. :sad:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Paul Craig Roberts writes about this
The Guardian obtained an interview with "Curveball," the source for Colin Powell's speech of total lies to the United Nations about Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction. Colin Powell's speech created the stage for the illegal American invasion of Iraq. The Guardian describes "Curveball" as "the man who pulled off one of the greatest confidence tricks in the history of modern intelligence." As The Guardian puts it, "Curveball" "manufactured a tale of dread." http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/15/curveball-iraqi-fantasist-cia-saddam

U.S. "intelligence" never interviewed "Curveball." The Americans started a war based on second-hand information given to them by incompetent German intelligence, which fell for "Curveball's" lies that today German intelligence disbelieves.

As the world now knows, Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction (WMD). The Bush/Cheney Regime, of course, knew this, but "Curveball's" lies were useful to their undeclared agenda. In his interview with The Guardian, "Curveball," Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, admitted that he made the whole story up. He wanted to do in Saddam Hussein and told whatever fantasy lie he could make up that would serve his purpose.

If the Bush/Cheney Regime had really believed that Saddam Hussein had world-threatening weapons of mass destruction, it would have been a criminal act to concentrate America's invading force in a small area of Kuwait where a few WMD could have wiped out the entire U.S. invasion force, thus ending the war before it began.

Some Americans are so thoughtless that they would say Saddam Hussein would never have used the weapons, because we would have done this and that to Iraq, even nuking Baghdad. But why would Saddam Hussein care if he and his regime were already marked for death? Why would a doomed man desist from inflicting an extraordinary defeat on the American Superpower, thus encouraging Arabs everywhere?

Moreover, if Saddam Hussein was unwilling to use his WMD against an invading force, when would he ever use them? It was completely obvious to the U.S. government that no such weapons existed. The weapons inspectors made that completely clear to the Bush/Cheney Regime. There were no Iraqi WMD, and everyone in the U.S. government was apprised of that fact.

Why was there no wonder or comment in the "free" media that the White House accused Iraq of possession of terrible weapons of mass destruction, but nevertheless concentrated its invasion force in such a small area that such weapons could easily have wiped out the invading force?

Does democracy really exist in a land where the media is incompetent and the government is unaccountable and lies through its teeth every time it opens its mouth?

"Curveball" represents a new level of immorality. Rafid al-Janabi shares responsibility for 1-million dead Iraqis, 4-million displaced Iraqis, a destroyed country, 4,754 dead American troops, 40,000 wounded and maimed American troops, $3-trillion of wasted US resources -- every dollar of which is a debt burden to the American population and a threat to the dollar as reserve currency -- 10 years of propaganda and lies about terrorism and al Qaeda connections, an American "war on terror" that is destroying countless lives in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and which has targeted Iran, and which has destroyed the Bill of Rights, the US Constitution, and the civil liberties that they guarantee. And the piece of lying excrement, Rafid al-Janabi, is proud that he brought Saddam Hussein's downfall at such enormous expense.

Now that Rafid al-Janabi is revealed in the Guardian interview, how safe is he? There are millions of Iraqis capable of exterminating him for their suffering, and tens of thousands of Americans whose lives have been ruined by Rafid al-Janabi's lies.

Why does the U.S. government pursue Julian Assange and WikiLeaks for telling the truth when "Curveball," whose lies wiped out huge numbers of people along with America's reputation, thinks he can start a political party in Iraq? If the piece of excrement, Rafid al-Janabi, is not killed the minute he appears in Iraq, it will be a miracle.

So we are left to contemplate that a totally incompetent American government has bought enormous instability to its puppet states in the Middle East, because it desperately wanted to believe faulty "intelligence" from Germany that an immoralist provided evidence that Saddam Hussein had Weapons of Mass Destruction.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/The-Shame-Of-Being-An-Amer-by-paul-craig-roberts-110215-364.html
"But why would Saddam Hussein care if he and his regime were already marked for death? Why would a doomed man desist from inflicting an extraordinary defeat on the American Superpower, thus encouraging Arabs everywhere?"

A very good question, especially in light of all we supposedly know about the ruthlessness of Saddam Hussein.

SShepherd

"As the world now knows, Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction (WMD)."

responding to the article

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"As the world now knows, Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction (WMD)."

responding to the article

Evidently he had none he was willing to us against the U.S.

Bush says Iraq had no WMDs
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soohikNdbWs"]YouTube - Bush says Iraq had no WMDs[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tFKa2_YBQ&feature=related"]YouTube - George W. Bush (alias Mr. Danger) - jokes about weapons of mass destruction (not found)[/ame]

But you still have to find the guy likeable...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV0kuT5UyeU&feature=related"]YouTube - President Bush At Correspondents' Dinner[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tFKa2_YBQ&feature=related"][/ame]

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, they found fully assembled "wmd"s (a journalism thing), and no delivery vehicles, They found delivery vehicles were there were no wmd.

They found every component to make sarin. Do you know how much sarin is needed in one delivery shell to kill say 10,000 in NYC? Like 150mg. They did not find complete sarin. They found vehicles with equipment inside to assemble and process the sarin components.

They found tons of yellow cake. They found multiple plutonium triggers. They found all the other components. But nothing assembled.

They found everything needed to make both chemical and biological weapons, sarin being the worst, they found delivery platforms for those things, but none assembled and together.

They found everything for dirty nukes, and they found materials a few steps away from fisionable material. Alot of it. 747's full. And he had delivery platforms for those too.

So yes, no "wmd's, as in on the platform and platform being ready. But everything readily available to assemble in less than a day. So let's split hairs, eh?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, they found fully assembled "wmd"s (a journalism thing), and no delivery vehicles, They found delivery vehicles were there were no wmd.

They found every component to make sarin. Do you know how much sarin is needed in one delivery shell to kill say 10,000 in NYC? Like 150mg. They did not find complete sarin. They found vehicles with equipment inside to assemble and process the sarin components.

They found tons of yellow cake. They found multiple plutonium triggers. They found all the other components. But nothing assembled.

They found everything needed to make both chemical and biological weapons, sarin being the worst, they found delivery platforms for those things, but none assembled and together.

They found everything for dirty nukes, and they found materials a few steps away from fisionable material. Alot of it. 747's full. And he had delivery platforms for those too.

So yes, no "wmd's, as in on the platform and platform being ready. But everything readily available to assemble in less than a day. So let's split hairs, eh?

Yup theres a hell of a lot of difference between they didn't find any WMD's & They didn't have any period . Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack :whistling: