• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Proud new owner of Bombardier SW48

LanceMack

Hello, I am Lance and I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1975 Bombardier SW48. Everything seems to work on it but the front lights and I will put the light bar on it Wednesday. It has a 3 cylinder John Deere diesel in it and runs well, it must be a replacement because all I see are Chryslers and Fords mentioned as engines. I have no concept on many of the aspects of the vehicle but have been through three plow trucks for my steep quarter mile driveway and am going to sell my 1999 Ford F350 with a minute mount plow now that I have the SW48. I have it on Craigslist now, see Hartford "Haddam F350" to see pictures of that. I have used it to grade the sides of my driveway so far and am looking forward to see what it does in the snow. I am tired of sliding down the driveway sideways and using snow to break my descent in a pickup truck. I hope the SW48 works better. I am looking for any type of manual and will try Boggie to see if he can accommodate me once I . I enclosed a picture because people like pictures. First question what is that switch in the front next to the cut out circle between the steering levers?
thanks,
Lance

Attachments

• 20161125_155133.jpg
    20161125_155133.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,328

LanceMack

Would someone be able to kindly direct me toward a member that might perhaps have or have access the manuals associated with this Bombardier. It would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Lance

LanceMack

Thanks, for the reference PJL, I am looking into one from MN at the moment. Do any of you have the specifics for the fluids that the Bombardier SW48 uses, i.e. best oils and hydraulic fluid? Got the light bar installed for running at night, time to install a outlet for my radar detector.
thanks,
Lance

LanceMack

Had a snow storm over the weekend and it seemed the wrong condition for the SW48. I took of the six inches of soft snow covering and the temperature of the air and frozen ground created a glaze on the driveway Because the grade is steep and the glaze I lost traction quite a bit and slid sideways a few times. I am sure I would have also in the plow truck but it was disheartening. Most storms are not so icy under them so I am hoping that the rest of the season is a little easier. Is it possible or advantages to recleat or restud the rubber tracks if it continues to be a problem?
Lance

LanceMack

I took my SW48 down my ever so steep driveway for its' initial snow plow run. The six inches of snow was on top of a 20 degree driveway and combined with the ambient temperature of around thirty it created a glaze on the driveway. Needless to say I slid sideways a bit with the Bombardier. I am sure if I was using my old f350 I would have slid also, it was that crap of a icy glazing. The rest of the winter storms will determine if I made the right decision to go with a the SW48 instead of a full size plow truck. The tracks on the SW48 have worn down cleats. My question is how hard is it to re stud or re cleat the tracks and would it be advantages?
thanks,
Lance

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there are screw in studs made for those tracks you might look them up I used a search of screw in studs for loader tires

SWSNOW

Hello,
I have a set of steel cleated tracks, would possibly work better for you then the rubber you have. Might be interested in a trade. Let me know. Thanks

Dougramyy

Hello,
I have a set of steel cleated tracks, would possibly work better for you then the rubber you have. Might be interested in a trade. Let me know. Thanks
Hello, I am Lance and I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1975 Bombardier SW48. Everything seems to work on it but the front lights and I will put the light bar on it Wednesday. It has a 3 cylinder John Deere diesel in it and runs well, it must be a replacement because all I see are Chryslers and Fords mentioned as engines. I have no concept on many of the aspects of the vehicle but have been through three plow trucks for my steep quarter mile driveway and am going to sell my 1999 Ford F350 with a minute mount plow now that I have the SW48. I have it on Craigslist now, see Hartford "Haddam F350" to see pictures of that. I have used it to grade the sides of my driveway so far and am looking forward to see what it does in the snow. I am tired of sliding down the driveway sideways and using snow to break my descent in a pickup truck. I hope the SW48 works better. I am looking for any type of manual and will try Boggie to see if he can accommodate me once I . I enclosed a picture because people like pictures. First question what is that switch in the front next to the cut out circle between the steering levers?
thanks,
Lance

Dougramyy

Hello also new. Not sure how to start a be thread. Got this nice 1960 something sw48. Engine runs great. I need to remove the cab and get the gas tank repaired/replaced because it is leaking. A few questions - ran it from my woodlot to my house (about 5 miles). When I got to the house the radiator was pucking steal out the small hose at the bottom is the radiator. I’m assuming this is some sort of relief? What causes this? Bad water pump, bad thermostat, plugged line? Thanks for any reply.

Attachments

• 3ED2692E-E99D-41A0-9D28-BE048FCC00BE.jpeg
    3ED2692E-E99D-41A0-9D28-BE048FCC00BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 419
Hello also new. Not sure how to start a be thread. Got this nice 1960 something sw48. Engine runs great. I need to remove the cab and get the gas tank repaired/replaced because it is leaking. A few questions - ran it from my woodlot to my house (about 5 miles). When I got to the house the radiator was pucking steal out the small hose at the bottom is the radiator. I’m assuming this is some sort of relief? What causes this? Bad water pump, bad thermostat, plugged line? Thanks for any reply.
Does your data plate say JW followed by the year like JW67? The headlight location tells me it’s a JW like mine.

A0CAA0E6-BED9-4121-B43B-ED5D07C96922.jpegDoug notice mine has a fabricated tank to avoid dealing with a rotten steel tank from the late 60s. My JW has even been modified so the original tank can be removed without the body coming off. I’m totally happy with the “new“ tank. My original gas tank is interred in its tomb in the nose of my machine. Maybe I will move the fabricated tank to the nose when I have nothing better to do.
C51AE367-1722-4437-AF60-A6379D917280.jpeg

Last edited: