• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What to do in the Los Angeles area?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last minute change in vacation plans have us now having a few days in the LA area.

I haven't been there in years and the rest of the family has never been there.

What are some sights to see when in the area?

My initial thoughts/ideas:
A drive through the Hollywood area
A few hours at Venice beach
Huntington beach for relaxing and swimming
A day at Disneyland

Thoughts/Ideas?

Also, are there general areas to avoid? What are some decent areas to get a hotel?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good call! Unfortunately (in searching the internet), it appears it's in McMinville, Oregon :(

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a good time in longbeach queen marry and lots of other stuff in the area also while I was there they had some streets closed down for a drifting competition likely the closest I will ever get to nascar.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Stay out of East L.A.! Avenue of the stars...isn't that in LA? Maybe you can take a tour of the movie sets? MGM?

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been a few years since I was there but I"ll always drive Rodeo Drive. Don't try to drive to the hollywood sign. We tried. LOL waste of time, but we still had fun. Only way to is entails a lot of walking.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We went for sales and service training for a hot tub company. On one of our free days we went to Long Beach to catch a ferry to Catalina Island. Before the ferry started running we saw the Queen Mary and went on board to try to get some coffee at the restaurant in there. Well unknown to us the ship was closed for filming an episode of "Murder She Wrote".
We just walked in and sweet talked the lady at the cafe into serving us some coffee and OJ. Any way, the ferry took us to the island and we spent all day there just walking and taking a Jeep tour of the island. A few hours at the beach towards the end of the day. Had a great time.

Leni

Universal City, Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm, whale watching, and lots of museums. Don't forget that we have a space shuttle here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Mrs. wasn't happy with what she read about the LA area.

We changed our plans (yet again) so we're going to San Diego for 2 of the 3 days. Will be hitting the big tourist things (USS ship, Zoo, Aquarium...).

Then back to LA for about a day. It'll be Thanksgiving day so hoping all the traditional sightseeing spots will be a little more abandoned.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
1 day every 20 years is fine with me.

It's mainly for the kids so they can see what they're not missing and say "been there, done that".

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Get on the 5 or the 405 and sit in traffic for two hours.

Go to Santa Monica/Muscle beach and watch the circus of Kaliforia-ized idiots.

Head over to Maibu up PCH and see how the very-filthy rich live, keep going and stop at Ventura, take a Park Service boat tour to the islands, drive a bit further to Santa Barbara and walk around. Head back down PCH to take a drive into the mountains on Rte 33. Very cool - cliffs right next to the road with no guard rails, just like in the movies. Go through Ojai, maybe stop at some of the artsy-fartsy shops. Connect with 150 and head toward hwy 126. Go east to the 5 and spend a day at Magic Mountain. Take the 5 back in and get stuck in traffic. For real enjoyment, start some road rage on the 5. Then you can really say you've experienced California.