• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Taking over where BigAl left off started tonight. I removed the front and rear seats for a closer look at what lurks below. Fluid in the tub is either a leak or a spill. I'm hoping its the story of a spill that wasn't cleaned up in Elk City.

After starting Yetti up to high rpm' with the idle set low a new throttle cable is in order the old one is stiff and not returning to idle sounds like my ex wife. There will also be many fastner swap outs to stainless steel per my current wife's request.

The mysterious wet bar installed by BigAl was found in a trap door tonight. The only thing missing was the rum and Dr. Pepper.

I am going to catalog all the parts and start a photo manual. This should help the next owner when I go meet up with BigAl.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
evening, sure sounds like you are enjoying the kt7, truly looking forward to seeing it in person very soon, lucky you

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
evening, sure sounds like you are enjoying the kt7, truly looking forward to seeing it in person very soon, lucky you

Like any project inherited which was started by someone else, One can imagine the improvements to be included in the vision. I need bifocals ~

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mysterious wet bar installed by BigAl was found in a trap door tonight. The only thing missing was the rum and Dr. Pepper.

I was thinking last night that the Kristi KT7 = "The Mullet" of Snow Cats.

Business in the front, party in the rear! :brows::yum:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife's first words were ok but change the color to manufactures color

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't change Allens color I do know that the juce drive system needs a little up grade as he had told me it pulled a little slow could be something as simple as too small of hydraulic lines

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't change Allens color I do know that the juce drive system needs a little up grade as he had told me it pulled a little slow could be something as simple as too small of hydraulic lines

Yes that's the way I was reading it and thought if thats all I need to do I will be happy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
irongoat, do you know anyone who works on hydrostats? It sure would be handy to have some one with lots of experience with these systems.

Do you know what the components are, like the pump manufacturer and displacement? And the motors to?

I know I am curious about the system in this rig.. Can you share what you are finding out with us?

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
irongoat, do you know anyone who works on hydrostats? It sure would be handy to have some one with lots of experience with these systems.

Do you know what the components are, like the pump manufacturer and displacement? And the motors to?

I know I am curious about the system in this rig.. Can you share what you are finding out with us?

Regards, Kirk

ummm........:yum::yum::yum:

maxresdefault.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So is Yeti to return to the Leavenworth home land this coming Feb?

he dam better be at the next meet if/when we have one. I think I deserve a ride. even if I have to sit backwards.

the Leavenworth is open for anyone to set it up. the way marco(irongoat) and I planned them wasn't for any pacific person to have them.
a call to the hotel for the land and check with bert at the trailhead. the hotel owns the restaurant that breakfast is in so that is easy to get.
it doesn't have to be at Leavenworth
jim

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
he dam better be at the next meet if/when we have one. I think I deserve a ride. even if I have to sit backwards.

the Leavenworth is open for anyone to set it up. the way marco(irongoat) and I planned them wasn't for any pacific person to have them.
a call to the hotel for the land and check with bert at the trailhead. the hotel owns the restaurant that breakfast is in so that is easy to get.
it doesn't have to be at Leavenworth
jim
I have always thought Wallace Id would be a great spot............

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
a scouting out of the trails and checking of the rules would be next. road trip??

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

That info should all be on forums I discussed all of it with Allen if I'm not mistaken would have to look it up there the same as a cushman trackster pump motor combos being driven by a splitter gearbox and then right angle drives from the motors to the Chain cases. It should be all here pictures and all.

They are undersized for the machine IMO

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if they are the same sunstrand pumps and motors that the trackster uses they would be way under sized in my opinion. it would be worth wile to upgrade pumps and motors for better performance. also the newer systems are quite a bit more efficient than what they had to work with 30 years ago

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

Boggie,
Thank you :flowers: for the very important information manual, I will start studying….. I have a new sauna being shipped to the house friday and will have to brake away from Yetti to build this sauna (Almost Heaven Sauna).

After work tonight I started on the removal of the low grade fastners and installed the stainless steel. The larger bolts Im shopping for aircraft bolts and nuts (titanium). Boeing surplus might have what I need.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears that the Yetti's pumps and motors are of the inline configuration. That is good, as there are no hoses to break or leak..

I have to wonder if it has the optional acceleration valves that will regulate the flow of oil when the sticks are hastily pushed to full flow at rest. This lowers the peak operating pressures and stops you from stalling the engine. I would hope the system has this included..

The gear box's that are connected to the hydro, are as Alan discovered, were used by an old construction equiptment company Wabco and appear to be the boxes that are used to run the apron chain on a self loading scraper.. And are probably pretty stout to..

As with any hydro system, maintenance and keeping operating temps down are very important. I like to see the systems here on the farm stay in the 180 deg operation range. As the manual says extended operation above 200 deg. is not recommended for very long. Filter replacement along with oil replacement goes a very long ways to a long life system.

I hope the parts and filters are still around. My bet is that they are out there. The trouble shooting section could explain some the issues of poor performance, most of witch can be delt with easily.

Irongoat I wish you the very best with your new to you cat. I really enjoyed the links to Big Al's rebuild of your machine. He did a very over the top restoration to this very rare Cat.

It's to bad that the owner of Kristy was not able to continue making these, as I understand he was killed in a plane crash, and the company didn't survive his demise. It would have been very interesting to have seen what this company would have evolved to, with his leadership intact.

Regards, Kirk

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
It appears that the Yetti's pumps and motors are of the inline configuration. That is good, as there are no hoses to break or leak..

I have to wonder if it has the optional acceleration valves that will regulate the flow of oil when the sticks are hastily pushed to full flow at rest. This lowers the peak operating pressures and stops you from stalling the engine. I would hope the system has this included..

The gear box's that are connected to the hydro, are as Alan discovered, were used by an old construction equiptment company Wabco and appear to be the boxes that are used to run the apron chain on a self loading scraper.. And are probably pretty stout to..

As with any hydro system, maintenance and keeping operating temps down are very important. I like to see the systems here on the farm stay in the 180 deg operation range. As the manual says extended operation above 200 deg. is not recommended for very long. Filter replacement along with oil replacement goes a very long ways to a long life system.

I hope the parts and filters are still around. My bet is that they are out there. The trouble shooting section could explain some the issues of poor performance, most of witch can be delt with easily.

Irongoat I wish you the very best with your new to you cat. I really enjoyed the links to Big Al's rebuild of your machine. He did a very over the top restoration to this very rare Cat.

It's to bad that the owner of Kristy was not able to continue making these, as I understand he was killed in a plane crash, and the company didn't survive his demise. It would have been very interesting to have seen what this company would have evolved to, with his leadership intact.

Regards, Kirk

I have to wonder if it has the optional acceleration valves that will regulate the flow of oil when the sticks are hastily pushed to full flow at rest. ( I am still tearing Yetti down ( I don't have anytime in my life anymore) I will get some photos and post.I would like to discover that ).

I did notice that there was pulsation in the starboard stick when I went to start the engine (not sure why that happens).

Tye One On introduced me to the laser thermometer to keep an eye on my old rear end in the DMC1200, Once I get to operating Yetti I will be able to take good readings on all the hot spots.

I know Allen struggled with finding the proper hydraulic filters ( did he land on the correct one ?) and that there was talk of simply sizing up some hydraulic hoses to obtain higher speed. I only ran the cat cold (to get it on the trailer and off) so today I don't know what the speed is.

I (we) will work out the kinks Allen wasn't able to finish and maintain the Kristi KT7 (Yetti) LOL notice how I added you in there. Great project it will keep me out of the lazy boy chair. I will post more photos tonight after work.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie,
Thank you :flowers: for the very important information manual, I will start studying….. I have a new sauna being shipped to the house friday and will have to brake away from Yetti to build this sauna (Almost Heaven Sauna).

After work tonight I started on the removal of the low grade fastners and installed the stainless steel. The larger bolts Im shopping for aircraft bolts and nuts (titanium). Boeing surplus might have what I need.

Did Allen have this manual when he was working on Yetti ?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did Allen have this manual when he was working on Yetti ?

He had bought a manual online, but unsure of which one it was a service manual

I see your preparing well for the work ahead.

Order sauna , check, Done
Order cases of coke , check, Done
Order cases of Rum, check, Done

Your gonna fit right in with the KT7 :wink:

I think with the current setup if you can get 8 mph your doing well the issue
Al was have was lack of power climbing a grade I suspect that the PSI developed
Is still bypassing the reliefs. The machine has high and low which changes the flow of oil in the motors in a grade I would say low will for sure be required

He said he never really felt that the engine was lacking in power but its either keep it original and live with the design with some tuning or redesign the hydro system to make it better more modern

I had coresponded with Karen about both machines and that is the very reason
In my mind I stuttered. Original is what I want, but I'm not sure original is the best choice and for that reason I held off

For a static display it makes little difference but for a daily driver I would want it better

If you need any help please feel free to PM I'm sure we can be of assistance

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
contact bob? the guy that worked on it. he owned a couple gas stations and knows about it. you know,the guy that showed you how to drive it.
him saying to keep the rpms high makes me think it is shy on power but it did turn good on gravel without much forward movement. could it be that that engine needs to be run at higher rpm to run good? he told me he had a few of them and made air compressors from those engines.
don't rule out that the engine was running poorly and popping . maybe you should focus on that first.
jim

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

I have not lifted the interior completely to see the system I will share it with you

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
He had bought a manual online, but unsure of which one it was a service manual

I see your preparing well for the work ahead.

Order sauna , check, Done
Order cases of coke , check, Done
Order cases of Rum, check, Done

Your gonna fit right in with the KT7 :wink:

I think with the current setup if you can get 8 mph your doing well the issue
Al was have was lack of power climbing a grade I suspect that the PSI developed
Is still bypassing the reliefs. The machine has high and low which changes the flow of oil in the motors in a grade I would say low will for sure be required

He said he never really felt that the engine was lacking in power but its either keep it original and live with the design with some tuning or redesign the hydro system to make it better more modern

I had coresponded with Karen about both machines and that is the very reason
In my mind I stuttered. Original is what I want, but I'm not sure original is the best choice and for that reason I held off

For a static display it makes little difference but for a daily driver I would want it better

Thank you your on my speed dial.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
contact bob? the guy that worked on it. he owned a couple gas stations and knows about it. you know,the guy that showed you how to drive it.
him saying to keep the rpms high makes me think it is shy on power but it did turn good on gravel without much forward movement. could it be that that engine needs to be run at higher rpm to run good? he told me he had a few of them and made air compressors from those engines.
don't rule out that the engine was running poorly and popping . maybe you should focus on that first.
jim

I tuned it up and now need a new throttle cable. Then I will restart it checking for function

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I still need to clean that puddle fro bob bleeding the lines. I will hopefully do that tonight midnights oil while playing some Jefthrol

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
II had coresponded with Karen about both machines and that is the very reason

Boggie,

What about the KT3? Have you already got one for static display? They are some what famous for being "static" here on the forum it seems. :wink::yum:

I would think Alan's KT3 would be a very nice project for some one to complete. Could you be that "special"some one? :flowers:

Regards, Kirk