• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New smart phones

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were due for new cell phones so off to the Verizon store we went.

Rest of the family wanted a data plan so we changed our plan to their new Share Everything plan.

Mrs. Zoom and daughter went with an iPhone 5 since they already have iPods, iPads... and they're familiar with the use and they can get all their songs, apps and such easily to the phone.

I asked for their toughest phone so I ended up with a Motorola Droid and an Otterbox.

Anyone have any "tips and tricks" for using these phones?

What's a realistic duration for battery life?

Those with a data plan, how many gig do you use per month, per phone?

If you have a wireless network at home, how do you set the phone to always use that when found instead of using the phone's data plan?

mak2

I have had my Blackberry for a couple of years, wish I knew how it worked. Sorry I am no help.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Droid 2, the battery life depends on what you are doing. Turn off the GPS and WIFI when not using it and it will last longer - most of the day. Heavy GPS use will drain the battery fast. If you are going to use the GPS for driving make sure you plug it in while using it.

I don't use that much data except when traveling so I don't really keep track of it. I've never maxed it out.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No help from me. My $15 Tracfone from Walmart only makes ....... phone calls (and text which I have never used).

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Toughest phone on the market now is a Motorola Quantico.

images

Water and shock resistant, it's built like a tank and gets great reception. I have two for my business. (No need for the smart functions. I have my personal iPhone for that.)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Motorola AtrixII. Is that what you got BC?
I use it as a hotspot in Wisc. Everynight connected wasting my time on forums or doing real work. About 4-5 hours every weeknight. Never runs out.

Put it on datasaver, use satelite for nav, not the system, turn off background data, turn off wifi whenever not using it.
I've never gone over 4 gig in a month; never ran out of battery.

When in Michigan, I have Uverse for internet and connect my phone to the home wireless network by turning on wifi - it connects automatically as instructed. For transferring pix, and other stuff to/from my pc /phone, I set up the phone as an FTP (swiftp app) and mapped my pc to it through the home network. Works great.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We were due for new cell phones so off to the Verizon store we went.

Rest of the family wanted a data plan so we changed our plan to their new Share Everything plan.

Mrs. Zoom and daughter went with an iPhone 5 since they already have iPods, iPads... and they're familiar with the use and they can get all their songs, apps and such easily to the phone.

I asked for their toughest phone so I ended up with a Motorola Droid and an Otterbox.

Anyone have any "tips and tricks" for using these phones?

What's a realistic duration for battery life? I have a Droid Thunderbolt and get 24 hours per charge.

Those with a data plan, how many gig do you use per month, per phone? I have a basic data plan of only 150 MB per month which I never exceed because I am on WiFi most of the time.

If you have a wireless network at home, how do you set the phone to always use that when found instead of using the phone's data plan?
My phone automatically detects a known Wifi network and connects, so every time I come back home it re connects automatically. Yours will do the same. You can also set it up to notify you if any open networks are detected such as at airports, etc.

Kane

I remember reading Dick Tracy comics as a kid. Thought his wrist radio was pretty cool, but thought no way something like that will ever actually exist.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember reading Dick Tracy comics as a kid. Thought his wrist radio was pretty cool, but thought no way something like that will ever actually exist.

I wonder where Chester Gould figured all that bandwidth was coming from back in the thirties. Pretty small device for something that ran off of vacuum tubes. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My phone automatically detects a known Wifi network and connects, so every time I come back home it re connects automatically. Yours will do the same. You can also set it up to notify you if any open networks are detected such as at airports, etc.

iPhones are the same. In Settings you can have it tell you when it detects a WiFi network. Then you have the option to either connect or cancel. Very handy.

I have 2 gigs of data per month and can easily stay within that limit, even using my phone to tether my laptop or tablet computer. Others on my plan have a smaller data plan (150mb I think) and I regularly see warning emails saying "Data Usage Alert for xxx-xxx-xxxx" So with the number you know who is getting close to their data limit. $15 more per month bumps the other phones up to 2 gig, but there are no penalties for going over, just the $15 charge so unless you know for sure you need more than the base 150mb per month then you there is no need to upgrade the plan. You simply pay when you do go over.

There are so many handy apps for both iPhone and Droid and that is a big part of the data usage and they can sneak up on you. Words with friends and games like that can surprise you in how much data they use. And the free versions keep putting ads in front of you and you are paying for the data those ads use to get to your phone. Aggravating.

Battery life is very good for the iPhone. Depending on use, I can always get 24 hours from one charge. Many times I get two or three days if usage is light. When tethering I do usually have the phone plugged in and charging as the hotspot does use up the battery. I also have found that leaving bluetooth on all the time drains the battery quicker than if it is not on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Motorola AtrixII. Is that what you got BC?
I don't know... It says Droid Razr.

Played with it a little last night. I do like the voice commands. I just say "call home" or in the browser say "forums forums dot com" and it takes me to the site.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For reading forums on the phone 'ForumRunner' is pretty slick. I don't have to resize and scroll like I do with the browser. It costs .99 or 1.99 but it's worth it.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
BC - I have a Droid Razr Maxx - I get at least a day and I use it for work. I get a lot of calls and do a lot of browsing, downloading e-Mail and texts.

The standard Razr does not fair so well. My wife gets only about a half day if she uses it a lot. That is why they came out with the maxx - Battery life.

I am fortunate in that I have been with Verizon a lot and could grandfather over my unlimited data plan which is no longer available.

BTW - Love my Droid. As a techie it does a lot for me.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First day was 14 hours run time with my son playing Madden football all day and me tinkering on it.
I also found that most cell phones use up battery a lot faster when they can't find an antenna. It's like they spend all their energy looking for a signal. Oh, and I don't get cell service at home. :(

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
we used to have a great time w/ my brother's old 1. we'd say random vulgarities into it, & the phone would repeat it, then show various stuff. me, him & SIL would be like a few tweens snickering @ it.
that is, if i'm thinkin' of the correct brand/type of phone. my brother was glad w/ the 1st. until a new one was put on the mkt.- both were neat, tho the 1 is now raynin's phone, to distract her from the other ones.