• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Laying paint

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm planning a respray of one of the GTs using aerosol cans.
Went out and bought a can of 'cellulose gloss black' paint.

So what about preperation.
What I was planning, use flap disk on grinder to remove rust and old paint. Sand by hand to smooth down. Prime, sand, prime, sand, prine (getting nice and smooth) then hit it with the black. Couple days time, polish with chemical polish.

I've been hoarding up advice, trying to get the best process. I'm getting ready to give a trial run on a test part (gear shifter cover).
Any pointers? Whats the best type of primer to use, any better process?
Any and all advice would be helpful, except telling me to go out and buy a spraygun and compressor, cos I aint made of money!:D

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've been using an "acid etch metal primer" in a can. Seems to build up well, go on smooth and stick well. Also dries fast.

If you want I'll get more info off the can. Probably a Martin Seynor paint relabled for NAPA.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Never laid anything called "paint"...:yum: :thumb: :yum:

Good lord your right ! It does sound like a "sex movie "starring a horse and a lonely englishman !