• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is it time to ditch daylight savings time

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Article Here

Keeping the time the same would increase the number of "accessible" daylight hours during the fall and winter and encourage more outdoor physical activity, according to Mayer Hillman, a senior fellow emeritus at the Policy Studies Institute in London.
He estimated that eliminating the time change would provide "about 300 additional hours of daylight for adults each year and 200 more for children."
Previous research has shown that people feel happier, more energetic and have lower rates of illness in the longer and brighter days of summer, while people's moods tend to decline during the shorter, duller days of winter, Hillman explained in his report, published online Oct. 29 in BMJ.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If we did that the manual for the radio would never get used at all.:hammer: That is the fun time of year, trying to remember how to reset the clocks. Plus we would not remember when to change our smoke detector batteries!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds to me like he is advocating staying on daylight savings time all year, not ditching it. :confused:

When we go back to regular time and it's light at 5:30 am and dark by 5:30pm it would indeed make sense to me to stay on daylight savings time all the time. The problem is that for a while in the fall it will not get light until 8am or so. Kids catching buses and on their way to school would be in danger of not being seen as easily by motorists. I 'thought' that was a big part of the reason for switching back to standard time when we do.

I would much prefer DLT all the time.

loboloco

The peanut farmer tried this one. What Hillman ignores is the cost in energy and lives.
We switch back from DST because it increases daylight in the morning hours, reducing energy use for lights, etc when a large percentage of people arise from bed. It also allows enough light to see the little kiddies standing and waiting for transportation to school, reducing the likelihood they will get their happy butts ran over.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds to me like he is advocating staying on daylight savings time all year, not ditching it. :confused:

When we go back to regular time and it's light at 5:30 am and dark by 5:30pm it would indeed make sense to me to stay on daylight savings time all the time. The problem is that for a while in the fall it will not get light until 8am or so. Kids catching buses and on their way to school would be in danger of not being seen as easily by motorists. I 'thought' that was a big part of the reason for switching back to standard time when we do.

I would much prefer DLT all the time.

I agree with staying on daylight savings time. I hate standard time. It sucks getting home from work at 5pm and only have a half hour till it gets dark. Then, having my son wake me up at first light.:doh:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree with staying on daylight savings time. I hate standard time. It sucks getting home from work at 5pm and only have a half hour till it gets dark. Then, having my son wake me up at first light.:doh:

Where we are the shortest of the shortest days it is dark already by the time we step out the door of work to go home.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What time does it get light there. During standard time here, it get's light around 5am. That's way to early for my son to be getting up on a weekend.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
What time standard is Arizona on? I know people in Arizona; they have no problem staying with a single time standard.

I wish we could just stay on a single standard. The way nature made it is fine with me, but DLS is ok.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
What time standard is Arizona on? I know people in Arizona; they have no problem staying with a single time standard.

I wish we could just stay on a single standard. The way nature made it is fine with me, but DLS is ok.

In the winter around 07:00 after the time change. Now it is almost 8:00.,

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Bloody clocks went back today in the UK by one hour,so bloody annoying as now it is dark come 5:30pm......rumour has it our Government is in serious consideration of putting the clocks forward by 2 hours in the coming March and leaving that way...the benefits alone with longer lighter days will do wonders for tourism...so they say.

I am all for ditching screwing with the clocks.....i prefer lighter evenings.