• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fear of Regulation = Increase in Gun Sales

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm putting this in the debate area, rather than the gun area, because this is no longer news. We've all seen the stories about people buying guns 'while they still can get them.

My reason for posting this here is contained in the story below, please read the blue highlights:
Hoosiers buying guns before leadership changes
Updated: Nov 22, 2008 10:19 PM
http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=9399891

Richard Essex/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - One in 15 Hoosiers has a permit to carry a gun and according to police, the numbers are on the rise. In fact, counties around Indianapolis are reporting a 50 percent increase in gun permits over last year.

From the people we talked to it is the unknown of what the new president's administration's policy will be on guns and gun permits.

Darryl Anderson is learning to shoot her new Smith and Wesson 38 handgun.

"This is my first time," said Anderson.

It's her first gun and her first time in a shooting range. She decided to buy a gun just two weeks ago. Anderson and her husband are self employed. She wants the gun for protection at work.

"I want to feel safe and I don't want somebody else regulating if I can and cannot be safe," Anderson explained.

She like thousands of others are buying guns and getting permits to carry them, not just for the protection.

"They are scared to death that someone will take all their guns away from them," said Marshall Stakey, a gun shop owner in Whitestown. "I'm not going to give up my guns. I got a lot of friends and people I sell guns to that are not going to give 'em up," said Stakey.

He says it's the fear of legislation that "might" be coming when the new administration takes office.

"Our gun permits have doubled both in the lifetime and the four year permits here in Indiana," said Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell.

Campbell's staff has processed twice as many applications for permits as last year with a marked increase since Election Day.

"From setting in my office and hearing my staff talk with the folks as they come in and fill out there paper work and go back and get finger printed, it seems that there is a lot of concern after the national election with our incoming president and the fear of him being very anti-gun," said Campbell.

There is not a waiting period to buy a gun. After a quick background check at the gun shop, you can walk out the door with a gun. However, it could take 4-to-8 weeks before you get a permit to carry a gun.​
And this is really the crux of the problem. Why should a Presidential candidate have ANYTHING about their proposed policies be unknown? It's completely unacceptable.

If you were applying for a job and your potential employer asked you how you plan to do Task X, you can be sure he wouldn't accept you ignoring the question.

Thoughts? Am I off base by wondering why people know so little about our next president's policies?

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
you are not off base Bob, no one really knows what bama is going to do, or try to do. he certainly will not keep his promises that got him elected, he can not tax the rich, they paid for him, he can not tax the poor, they dont have it............leaves us in the middle.

as for guns, my fear is he will take them military style............tank of marines shows up at your door, give them up or else.

this man was BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD for free America, he does not give a squat about your or me, he cares about nothing but the dud in the mirror, and he will not be good for anything but the ragheads, his cronies that paid for him to be there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, not off base at all. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but after Slick Willie was elected one of the first things that I remember him doing was the 'don't ask don't tell' policy for our military. If he talked of that on the campaign trail I missed it.
Obama could have said things on the campaign trail that left his view easy to be interpreted a number of different ways. Nothing new ... all politician do this. Time will tell but nothing wrong with hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

benspawpaw

:punk:i dont own any guns but as soon as i can i am going to get a permit to carry/conceal before it becomes impossible to get one and soon after will purchase a handgun the mexican population where i live is getting larger not that i dont like mexicans but our local law says there are now many mexican gangs at work in our town(a small town in nw ga)and i think for the saftey of my family i will once again own guns i got rid of all them after grandkids but will now also invest in locks and a safe not trying to be a badass just a safe one:punk:

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
BensPawPaw- I'm also in North Georgia, Norcross. The illegals now out number the Americans and MS13 graffiti is being seen. Bad luck for me,though. I had a terrible boating accident last week and all of my guns that had been purchased from dealers (registered) fell into lake Hartwell. They were the only guns I owned so I guess there's nothing left to confiscate.

You need only to listen to Obama's comments. People must have a mental disorder to want a gun. Sure I support the second ammendment but local govt's must be able to impose reasonable restrictions... The list could go on forever.

To those who think he's only after black guns, remember, he voted to include double barrelled shotguns on the list of banned "assult weapons".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A little off topic for this thread but lets say Obama does ban guns. If you start or join a organized milita as mentioned in the 2nd amendment wouldn't you be able to keep all the nasty illegal guns?