• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

To bubba a Dynatrac or not to bubba

L

leopard_colony

I'm the proud owner of a prototype Dynatrac, which lead to the XM571 articulated high mobility vehicle. Is there any reason I shouldn't modify (bubba) this vehicle to make it useful for me? Also to register it requires it be "homemade". The modifications would be enough to qualify. This one is quite different from the XM571, in appearance and function. There is no ability to steer without the trailer. The trailer is powered from the front unit and the whole thing steers by hydraulic pistons acting on the coupling. I'm thinking about adding brake steering to the front unit so I can use it by itself. No possibility of obtaining XM571 parts, would be adaption of off the shelf disk brakes. Also I need to add a windshield and soft top. It has a roll cage similar to XM571, but definitely not the same. Engine is a Corvair flat 6, currently in need of serious work. Eventually it will also be modified for more power.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What type of 'registering' are you talking about?

My Snowtrac is considered an agricultural tractor and I can drive it on the roads as long as I follow 'tractor' guidelines. No registration required. Of course I'm in Indiana and the Iowa laws may be different.

L

leopard_colony

Iowa requires you register everything unless it is exclusively for agricultural use. I have only one acre, so that's a stretch for me. I need to be able to drive it in town at times. It doesn't meet legal definitions for snowmobile or atv. I'm left with titling it as homemade or getting a title bond. I have only bill of sale, no title. And yes, I have to add rubber pads to the tracks for use on pavement.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I know nothing about snow vehicles, but a prototype I have to imagine would be considered quite valuable in it's original form. I think a few collectors that hang around this forum were discussing options for exhibitting historical units, perhaps they might know if yours is of significance.

At the very least I'd suspect it wise to save any parts while you're updating it so you could restore it to original at a later date.

L

leopard_colony

Someone suggested treating it as an agricultural vehicle. That should work. That or register as a regular vehicle. In Iowa snow cats do not qualify as snowmobile or ATV. The requirement that it be used for agricultural use only applies just to ATV's, which isn't an option anyhow. No actual farming required to own and use farm vehicles, like tractors. Lots of modern tractors use tracks so that helps as well. The only restriction left is that metal parts of tracks not touch pavement. Adding rubber pads to the track will take care of that problem. To help show that it's a "tractor" I'll add a removable draw bar.

L

leopard_colony

I've posted some pictures under Member's Galleries, see leopard_colony. I recommend sorting by date to get the right order. My Dynatrac is now painted safety yellow. The roll cage that was added by someone is going away. It is steel pipe, too heavy and not exactly to spec. (I have XM571 parts, maintenance, and operator's books.) I'll put on 2 roll bars and a soft top. Also a fixed windshield and heat ducting. There is no planing board on the front, I'll add one to make water travel safer.