• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting small tracked rig

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up this unit from the Forest Service they had water tanks mounted on it for wildfire supression. It was missing a wheel/tire and had old gas but other than that it runs and drives fine it was made by a company called Otter
Manufacturing, In Minnesota it has a 20hp Kohler engine and the cutest 3 speed manual transmission I have ever seen. 14" wheels/tires with Spicer differential disc brakes for turning and then it goes on to a final drive. It will lock one track up and turn the other one around it. weighs about 1000 pounds and has 2300 square inches of track area which equals .434 psi.
18" wide tracks. with 1.5" angle irons The simplicity of the machine makes it intresting. thought that some of the members that are trying to build a rig from scratch might like to see.

Attachments

• Otter-1.jpg
    Otter-1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 3,369
  • otter-2.jpg
    otter-2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,018
  • otter-3.jpg
    otter-3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Otter-4.jpg
    Otter-4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,005
Last edited by a moderator:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Intresting small tracked rig

Well isn't that the coolest little toy!

The simplicity of it is amazing.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Can you get some part numbers for the big components on that? It would be interesting to know the details on the tranny.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

As far as I know they are now out of business, The phone is disconnected, and I do know that that Tranny is forgein in origin. but do not know who made it. it has a clucth and pressure plate and all. So damm cute.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Isn't there some text cast into the housing? What is it? Maybe google will turn something up?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Very cool little machine. :thumb: Good find. Thanks for posting it!

I didn't see a clutch .... do you just shift from one gear to the next without the clutch while moving, or do you have to stop and shift then go with whatever gear depending on the speed you want to go?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Very cool little machine. :thumb: Good find. Thanks for posting it!

I didn't see a clutch .... do you just shift from one gear to the next without the clutch while moving, or do you have to stop and shift then go with whatever gear depending on the speed you want to go?

I think it's in the second photo, right beside the shifter. It's just round metal with some rubber on the end.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I think it's in the second photo, right beside the shifter. It's just round metal with some rubber on the end.

Yep, I see it now. :pat: Thanks PB! :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's nice pixie but it's still too fancy for a low-end hobbiest.

Simple Gear transmission with brakes for steering! Now that is simple!