• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My paint sprayer died today ... any recommendations for a new Airless Sprayer?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an old (probably 12 year old) paint sprayer. Last time I used it was to paint a red barn. Took it out today to paint a garage at my wife's newest 'flip' house. Got about 1/2 of 1 wall completed and it gave up the ghost. Very unceremoniously died right there in the back yard. It was long ago discontinued, no desire to try to repair it, its had a useful life, time to move on.

Looking at a GRACO Magnum X7 sprayer. http://magnum.graco.com/products/x7/

Designed for about 125 gallons of use per year, this is a couple steps up from what I had, has some hard core commercial features but is not a commercial sprayer.

Intended use is on my property and also for my wife for painting a few 'flip' houses each year. 125 gallon/year capacity is easily double plus the projected usage. I prefer to buy bigger than I need so I don't max out the capacity but I don't want to pay for too much more capacity than will never be realized and waste money.

Anyone have a similar unit?

Or can anyone recommend another brand?

These are common in my area, lots of parts available at the local shops, etc.

I can pick one up for $349 locally, which is the top end of what I'd be looking to spend.

FROM THE WEBSITE:

Durable Cart for Great Portability

DIY homeowners and handymen are equipped to save time and money with the Magnum X7. Tackle any interior project, exterior houses, fences and decks. The X7 supports a larger tip size than the X5, making it an excellent choice for spraying heavier coatings. The convenient cart makes exterior painting easier allowing you to roll the paint and sprayer around the job.

Features
  • Stainless Steel Piston Pump - Delivers high pressure power to spray unthinned paints
  • Flexible Suction Tube - Spray directly from 1 or 5 gallon containers for small or large projects
  • Convenient Cart - Easily move sprayer around on the job
  • Paint Saver Pail Hook - Effortlessly move 5 gallon paint container with cart
  • Reverse-A-Clean Spray Tip - High precision spray tip reverses to quickly clean material clogs
  • Power Flush Adapter - Connects to a garden hose for fast and easy cleaning
  • PushPrime - Fast and reliable start-up every time
  • Adjustable Pressure Control - Easy control of paint flow

Am I the only one who noticed that my wife's new business is keeping me busy and costing me a lot in tools :unsure:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 9.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 9.04.32 PM.png
    157 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 9.04.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 9.04.49 PM.png
    472.4 KB · Views: 67

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 15 year old Wagner that has served me well. I wasn't proud of the gun that came with it as when the valve wore out I found it was a throw away gun. Bought a Graco gun and have had to replace the valve in it once. As you probably know the valves are considered a wear item.
Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom recently purchased a similar Graco. I "think" as I never used it myself it may have been the X5 or maybe a little smaller unit. Used indoors, it made a real mess of things. Massive amounts of over-spray and difficult to get an even coat on the surface to be painted so she had to roll or brush the surface after using the sprayer. After one use, she returned it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bczoom, there's a knack to using a paint sprayer. A knack, I must admit, that I have never quite mastered. I'll use one on big projects outdoors but otherwise I'm an indoor roller and brush guy.

Bob, can't help you with a recommendation. I don't have enough experience using them to have a valid opinion.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I am going to pick up the Graco Magnum X7 tomorrow or Monday, whichever day I get to the store. One of the local stores has them on sale, $40 cheaper than the other 2 nearby stores that sells them so that made the choice of which store to buy from pretty easy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom recently purchased a similar Graco. I "think" as I never used it myself it may have been the X5 or maybe a little smaller unit. Used indoors, it made a real mess of things. Massive amounts of over-spray and difficult to get an even coat on the surface to be painted so she had to roll or brush the surface after using the sprayer. After one use, she returned it.
Should be a dial to turn down the volume of paint being sprayed, might also be using the wrong spray tip for the paint being used.

But I generally prefer the sprayer for outside work and for indoor primer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't do any painting. No idea what she had on the settings. I just stay far away.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up the Graco Magnum X7 sprayer. Its a middle-of-the line unit. Way more complicated than my old sprayer but after reading and watching the videos, seems far more capable too. Looks to be faster too.

So this one will take a bit more learning. Set up & clean up procedures require more steps than the old one but seem reasonable, just going to have to learn them. It does come with a quick start guide which shows set up/clean up.

Supposed to be raining here tonight and tomorrow so probably not going to be testing it out for a couple more days? The plan is to start on the shed and the garage before taking it inside for priming walls and ceiling, should give both of us enough time to learn some of the ins/outs of this new unit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a follow up.

Used this sprayer a couple times. I like it. VERY FAST and more even that my old sprayer.

There is a dial that adjusts the paint volume. It has to be reset every time you change paint types because thicknesses vary by type and brand so if the paint or primer is think you need to dial it down, if it is thick you dial it up.

Sprayed 3 interior rooms today with primer, probably averaged about 10-15 minutes per room, including the ceiling. MUCH faster than my old sprayer, more even spray too. If you want a 'near' professional sprayer this is one that i can easily recommend.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Titan XT420 (discontinued model) but it's been flawless with any application. I sprayed the garagemahall exterior with PA crude oil (not cut), sprayed the house with stain and painted drywall in the garage. Great sprayer and always look forward to using it, not bad for a guy that hates to paint.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Titan XT420 (discontinued model) but it's been flawless with any application. I sprayed the garagemahall exterior with PA crude oil (not cut), sprayed the house with stain and painted drywall in the garage. Great sprayer and always look forward to using it, not bad for a guy that hates to paint.

DITTO on the HATE TO PAINT :hammer:

I pretty much refuse to pick up a brush or roller.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DITTO on the HATE TO PAINT :hammer:

I pretty much refuse to pick up a brush or roller.

Amen on a brush NEVER ........ a roller is Ok if it's painting big walls, or flat surfaces and is 18" wide roller .............. :thumbup: