• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone getting a new 1/2 ton DIESEL Ram?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I was buying a pick up I would buy that one.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a truck, but would anyone consider a Chevy Cruze diesel, coming out in April?

I'm one of the millions who will never forgive GM for stealing huge amounts of money from stock investors with their bankruptcy. Funny how all of their top management got out just before the bankruptcy. Literally, hell will freeze over before I'd ever consider buying a new GM product. Quality, design and performance doesn't matter to me when it comes to GM. The ONLY way they could ever get me to stop spreading the gospel about them is if they delivered a totally loaded 4X4 dually diesel crew cab in my driveway with the keys and a free and clear title in my name. We all know that will never happen, so GM can go directly to hell IMHO. Sorry.

AndyM

Charter Member
I'm one of the millions who will never forgive GM for stealing huge amounts of money from stock investors with their bankruptcy. Funny how all of their top management got out just before the bankruptcy. Literally, hell will freeze over before I'd ever consider buying a new GM product. Quality, design and performance doesn't matter to me when it comes to GM. The ONLY way they could ever get me to stop spreading the gospel about them is if they delivered a totally loaded 4X4 dually diesel crew cab in my driveway with the keys and a free and clear title in my name. We all know that will never happen, so GM can go directly to hell IMHO. Sorry.

As much as I would like an American compact diesel sedan, I may consider a used one someday in the future, but vowed never to buy another NEW GM product again.

I live in a small rural town of 700 people, and GM shut down the local Chevrolet dealership. If it was unprofitable, it should be the owner's decision, but it was profitable and its closing left a hole in our downtown. The Detroit News came to our town and did an in-depth story on how the closing of one business affects the entire area. I love my community and I haven't been able to get past that move.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I will wait for all the bugs to get worked out but I would be interested in a 1/2 ton diesel.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I wish all the makers would follow europe and east asia's lead and put turbo'd diesels in the little pickups.
Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there is nothing i would like better than to replace my wife's Blue Broom (ford explorer ) with a little diesel suv something like an exterra with about a 100 horse diesel would be cool,and also get good milage.the only problem is the new exhaust after treatment systems burn a lot of fuel ,and that damd def fluid aka urea. no one cannot save money by drinking PBR and draining one's lizzard in to the def tank

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
the gasoline-powered 2013 Ram 1500 already boasts best-in-class fuel economy of 25 mpg highway

What a fluff comparison. I suspect they are referring to the mileage on the V6 which only has a towing capacity around 4700 lbs. While the current Hemi gets a max of 13/20 mpg and has a standard towing capacity of 7200lbs. My 2008 Durango's towing capacity is 8900lbs with gas mileage capacity of 13/18.

The reality is that my Durango rarely hits it's mpg rating.

I think this one will need a few years before I would buy one.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a truck, but would anyone consider a Chevy Cruze diesel, coming out in April?

I've got a VW Jetta TDI and love it. I'd prefer the VW to the Chevy. Put that is just my personal choice.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if they will offer it in a 4X4? They better beef up the front end from their recent offerings or they will be in for a lot of repairs.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if they will offer it in a 4X4? They better beef up the front end from their recent offerings or they will be in for a lot of repairs.

I guess they could put the front axle in it that is under my F350. It has the "Tow Boss" package, whatever the hell that is. A girl who was right at .39 BAC hit me head on while I was stopped at a red light. From reports, they estimated she slowed to around 50 mph when she hit me. It only took $1700 to repair my truck!!

She knocked me backwards almost 4' and broke a U joint in the steering shaft, bent a tierod and I apparently shoved on the brake pedal so hard I blew a brake line. Not too much damage for a 2005 Impala hitting me that hard. The worst part about the 'tough truck' is that it destroyed a shoulder I had surgery on 6 weeks prior and broke my sternum. Oh snap, does that ever hurt! Anyway, I think I like something that absorbs and dissipates the energy a bit.

Maybe they don't want a front axle that stiff...

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
What a fluff comparison. I suspect they are referring to the mileage on the V6 which only has a towing capacity around 4700 lbs. While the current Hemi gets a max of 13/20 mpg and has a standard towing capacity of 7200lbs. My 2008 Durango's towing capacity is 8900lbs with gas mileage capacity of 13/18.

The reality is that my Durango rarely hits it's mpg rating.

I think this one will need a few years before I would buy one.

My '95 dodge one ton Cumins gets 20 MPG highway and tows 10K with ease.

So what's the big deal with 13/20 in a 2013 model.:whistling:

Jus pullin' your leg a bit.

I would like to have seen the Cummins in the Durango or the even the 1/4 ton Dakota compact from Dodge. Change the filters and the oil frequently and Diesels run forever. Of course that was when they allowed some sulfur in the fuel.

I do pine for the old days when diesel fuel was the cheapest thing at the pump. Now it costs more than the 93 octane super.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My '95 dodge one ton Cumins gets 20 MPG highway and tows 10K with ease.

So what's the big deal with 13/20 in a 2013 model.:whistling:

Jus pullin' your leg a bit.

I wouldlike to have seen the Cumins in the Durango or the even the 1/4 ton Dakota compact from Dodge. Change the filters and the oil frequently and Diesels run forever. Of course that was when they allowed some sulfur in the fuel.

I do pine forthe old days when dieselfuelwas the cheapest thing at the pump. Now it costs more than the 93 octane super.

I literally do have a '92 D250 with the 5.9 12v Cummins that doesn't even turn the oil black in 5k of city driving. You can't turn the key to start and let off fast enough for it not to start at first bump of the starter. Honestly, the new 1/2 ton pickups probably have a stronger frame than my old '92 model that has zero rust. Why couldn't they put the same 160hp 400 ft lbs of torque version in new ones. Nothing against Italy, but I don't see any way for the new Italian diesel to be as durable. And, since my old Dodge is only a 2wd model, I generally get around 15mpg with 100% in town driving servicing my rent houses.

grizzer

I wanna see that diesel in a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Everybody seems to love their Jeep in spite of the laundry list of troubles starting with the air bag suspension and up.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the reason for the WOP. diesel is the goals of lowering the hood line .try to stuff that inline 6 in with their ifs system and there wuldn't be any room for th oil pan plus of course the weight. i'm with you on the i 6 cummins i have an 89 comming up on 300 k ,with nothing more than i injector pump. it starts good when cold and driven right will get better than 20 mpg the gerrag 5 speed is a pos i plan on replacing soon as it's been rebuilt 3 times.