• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

replacing a central ac ...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
for something more efficient . Is it just a matter of replacing the outside unit , or does it get more involved than that ? My unit is dead right now . I could most likely get the compressor replaced , but its not the most efficient of units to begin with ( 10 seer ). I'm thinking of something in the 18- 20 seer range .
Any suggestions as to make and model ,as well as cost guestamates are welcome .

Kane

Be aware that due to recent code you will likely have to replace the inside air handler as well as the outside compressor to maintain SEER compatibility between the two pieces of equipment.

Bummer.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter

Kinda expected that might be the case . We'll just have to see I guess .
As I hardly use the heat ( the last time it was on was '08 other than testing it ) . I may even look at ductless split system ac's ,and just get rid of the outside unit and coil . Seems kinda iffy , but may be a solution .

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah the inside coil will probably need to be changed to match the outside unit. ANd then you might find the air handler doesn't have the right air flow......etc

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah the inside coil will probably need to be changed to match the outside unit. ANd then you might find the air handler doesn't have the right air flow......etc

It's the etc part that really costs , right ?
So, would going ductless zoned ac be an option ?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't help you with that. Maybe thcri will see this and chime in

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I can tell you nothing is simple. We had a gas AC unit with electric fans (go figure) at any rate it was replaced last year with the new standard using heating coils instead of the gas since it didn't work in the event of a power failure regardless. Now we had to replace both the air handler and the compressor however since then it is quieter, more efficient and cheaper to operate. As for cooling and heating we find no difference, that is unless we loose power (we haven't since being here) but have a backup plan even for that. Just be sure you get a unit large enough to handle your place as many will undersize you making it a lot more expensive to operate over time. Oh and ours tied into an existing ducting system, and know little about zone systems.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am actually driving right now. Well going through a fast food drive through. Will get home late but will see this tomorrow. You got any model numbers etc so I know what you have now.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I can tell you nothing is simple. We had a gas AC unit with electric fans (go figure) at any rate it was replaced last year with the new standard using heating coils instead of the gas since it didn't work in the event of a power failure regardless. Now we had to replace both the air handler and the compressor however since then it is quieter, more efficient and cheaper to operate. As for cooling and heating we find no difference, that is unless we loose power (we haven't since being here) but have a backup plan even for that. Just be sure you get a unit large enough to handle your place as many will undersize you making it a lot more expensive to operate over time. Oh and ours tied into an existing ducting system, and know little about zone systems.

Thanks , Joe for your input . seems like I'll be dropping some coin to get the economy going . :w00t2:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I am actually driving right now. Well going through a fast food drive through. Will get home late but will see this tomorrow. You got any model numbers etc so I know what you have now.

It's a Rheem 10 seer unit from around 2k . it's got a copeland scroll compressor .
the model # is RAKA-037JAZ .
Thanks for looking , it's very much appreciated .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks Murph :smile: I'm replacing the unit with a 16 seer Carrier unit .
It doesn't require the replacement of the entire hvac unit , and should be more efficient than the 10 seer unit that has died .
I could have opted for something in the 18-21 seer range , but it would hav cost a ton . As it is , I don't use the furnace , and the A / C is really only used a couple of months a year . Just couldn't justify the cost .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks Murph :smile:

Dam it. I totally spaced this.

I'm replacing the unit with a 16 seer Carrier unit .
It doesn't require the replacement of the entire hvac unit , and should be more efficient than the 10 seer unit that has died .
I could have opted for something in the 18-21 seer range , but it would hav cost a ton . As it is , I don't use the furnace , and the A / C is really only used a couple of months a year . Just couldn't justify the cost .

Yes you can go too high also especially if the rebates have dwindled like they have in the past. Again I apologize I don't know how I missed it. I guess I depend too many times on looking at the unread posts and if I don't get back they pile up and I don't see them. I think you did the right thing though.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph , no apology is necessary ! I totally understand that you are a busy man .
I have a nephew in the hvac business that is going to take care of the problem .