• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ham radios

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm looking for a good 2 meter hand held some thing like a bendix king lp series would be cool i'm new to ham radio and have played around comercial and military radios and at one time also cb's here in nome i have got a killer repeater network and need a hand held so i don't have to buy a bunch of mobiles any suggestions the new radios see so small although they seem to have a lot of bells and whistles.

snow dog

Don,
There is a huge differance between a mobile rig and a handheld. You may have a great repeater network, but remember the signal has to get to the repeater with clear audio for the repeater to send it out.

I would use a mobile rig, add a magnetic antenna and a cigarette plug for the power and move it rig to rig. The 45 watts of power will surely make sure the signal get to the repeater.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
youa re right and thats how i have itin my snowtrac i just want a hand held to go between cars quickly or to carry on to a work site and listen totraffic while i work the mobile will likely get moved to the truck for summer also some roads out of town have 100% coverage and even with a mobile some aeras are spotty if i had to walk i would love to have a hand held to go along and call for help when i got repeater lock Thanks

xsinawl

I just got a Yaesu VX3R and it is a micro. I'm fairly rural and it seems to get out on 2M just as good as my 530 does yet it has an enormous receive band by comparison. The controls are somewhat more confusing at first, but overall I'd say its worth a look.

snow dog

Don,

Add an antenna and a rig at your house, then run the mobile rig and you could operate on a simplex channel, you should be able to talk for about 20 miles out. Then all you need is a license for the wife.

I am doing that now, my house antenna is about 30 above ground and we can talk on simplex for 20-30 miles out.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i have an old Realistic CB in the Taurus with a magnetic mount whip. works pretty well, of course it was made before the restrictions that were made mandatory on the civilian CB radios. any Radio Shack should be able to set you up with what you will need, or at least guide you in the right direction.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i have cb's in all but the jeep still have a few left over for that i love all those old radio shack products great bang for the buck but there are no radio shacks where i live looking at a yaeseu right now the price is right and i can expand it to work on our company vhf frequencys along with police and fire wich i some times also work with. its nice to have one radio do it all. i was hoping some member would have a non digital older rig he wanted to part with because i like big radios harder to loose a brick