• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

*#!&% WIND!!!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
50 mph wind gusts & 30 mph constant just blew my new roll up door out of its tracks. :eek::mad:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just drove back from Champaign, IL (actually LeRoy) and the winds blowing my car sideways the whole way made that 120 mile trip pretty tiring. I was amazed at some of the localized damage I saw. There was a stretch of road where all the utility poles had been snapped off about 6' above the ground. The wires were all still connected, but the poles had just snapped.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I get those sort of winds every winter for weeks on end. It's a big pain but after a year you tend to know what to expect.

Every fall I have to go around and look for things the wind will blow away.

Wind is soooo much fun.(not) You have my sympathies.

Ironman

DaveNay said:
50 mph wind gusts & 30 mph constant just blew my new roll up door out of its tracks. :eek::mad:
Well that stinks Dave. Its windy up here too, and its - 3! Windchill is -25. Brrr!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
just came home from my brother in laws place. -15 but good thing the wind dropped to nothing. Earlier it was -8 but we had a good wind.

murph

BoneheadNW

As PB can attest, wind around here means downed trees and that means downed power lines, trees on fire, and trees into houses. Let it rain, snow, whatever all it wants, but high wind sucks.
Bone

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
The door is back in it's tracks now. It was fairly simple, I had to unbolt both side tracks and re-thread the door, then rebolt the tracks to the building. It goes up, it goes down and it locks. :cool2:

Even though it was not bad to fix, it still took more than two hours due to the temperature and wind we still have. :mad:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's a nice calm and balmy 20-30 MPH winds here today! I think it must be above freezing but it still feels cold!

My 2 and 3 year old get a little scared when I pull out the kite on these days. I think it whips around a little too fast for them!

Dave, you need to look into ways to either divert or diffuse the wind around that area or are you just going to get really good at fixing the door? If it happened once it will probably happen again.

PB

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Dave, you need to look into ways to either divert or diffuse the wind around that area or are you just going to get really good at fixing the door? If it happened once it will probably happen again.

The big problem is I looked at my invoice and my construction notes, and I was an idiot and didn't buy a wind rated door. :mad: The wind rated door actually has a cat 1 hurricane rating, and is required in Florida.

Stupid stupid stupid me. The diference was only $500 more for the rated door.

I have a couple ideas for stiffening the door, plus I am going to look at planting some mature pine trees to break the wind speed.