• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurricane Sandy

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you guys from the northern states don't know how to deal with a hurricane if you waited to now to prepare.QUOTE]

:yum:we get storms. so they're in different forms. us northern ppl get pelting rain, snow/blizzards, sleet, ice storms, hail, freezing rain, slush, & other not-so-pleasant weather. so, we buy necessities- food & boots, salt & beverages-, rather than buy into paranoia. depends where u reside. they'll often have stuff clear by morning here & when not- u call a pal to shovel, plow, take u somewhere, & keep a stash of items.
& the $$-minded thrive on the unprepared- open 24/7, restaurants, grocers- 1 reason further that i stay here.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just went out and loaded the wood boiler. This wind is crazy and driving the rain so it stings like hell. We are at 38 degrees and the greenhouses will take a bunch of heat in this wind. Will see what it looks like tomorrow unless the power goes out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Wind has tickled our power here on northeast CT. Internet went down for a while.:w00t2: Now, that was serious.

From the looks of it,we will not need the generator. if power goes, My Dodge truck inverter will handle the furnace and one frig. Other inverters I brought will run computers and a TV for two days off batteries.

250 gals of fresh water and plenty of canned food. two canisters of Propane for the stove and plenty of firewood.

Sorry to disappoint JoeC but we northerners were prepared. We live in tornado ally. Hurricanes are nothing in comparison.

Just wish I had brought the Gen system so my invalid son and his family didn't have to worry.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They just killed all the power on the islands around NYC and lower Manhattan.Surge is breaking over some of the islands as the tide comes in.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My point folks is a hurricane comes with up to a weeks advanced warning and it you aren't prepared it only means two things, you don't listen or you can't for some other reason such as a you have no choice in the matter such as no means to get ready.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My point folks is a hurricane comes with up to a weeks advanced warning and it you aren't prepared it only means two things, you don't listen or you can't for some other reason such as a you have no choice in the matter such as no means to get ready.

On that we agree. It is why tornadoes are far more dangerous than Hurricanes.

Katrina had two weeks warning for the Gulf region and at least five days for New Orleans. Not one soul should have died in that city.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Just had a gust of 41 MPH, very little rain so far and have set a new record low for barometric pressure since I have been monitoring it. Not bad so far as we routinely get gusts here over 40. The brunt seems to be going south of us and that is fine with me.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Generator tested and plenty of fuel stocked in for it, and both vehicles are full. Plenty of ammo stocked in for 9mm, .40 cal and .45 ACP, just in case. :whistling:All batteries are at full charge including the UHF/VHF handheld ham radio and backup battery which can be connected to the rooftop antenna for additional range if needed. No worries here if the cell towers drop out, because we have our local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) network activated.

Extra sump pump staged if the primary goes out, and high water alarm tested so I know if the pump fails. They are predicting high winds at 50mph+ for tonight and tomorrow, with waves on Lake Erie topping 20 feet from the north. Very unusual for NE Ohio to see waves this high, but its a very unusual storm.

Hope everyone has prepared well, and we will back to normal before you know it.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
hefty gusts/rain here. they're early, tho were fully expected. that wind is whistling. glad they clean my block so promptly.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing exceptional here .The trees are moving around fairly well . The only thing that concerns me is that the soil is getting close to saturation . That means trees will come down due to root ball failure .
On edit ,it's trying to snow !

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have actually warmed up to 41 right now. Warmest it has been all day. Still beating rain from the north.

Kane

I knew it, Hurricane Sandy Blamed On Gays, Obama By Preacher John McTernan
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:47 am EDT
r-HURRICANE-SANDY-large570.jpg

The Eastern seaboard may have yet to experience the full wrath of Hurricane Sandy, but one right-wing Christian preacher is already pointing the finger at the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

In a wordy and occasionally rambling blog on his website, chaplain John McTernan seems to link Hurricane Sandy (and a number of other recent weather-related trends and natural disasters) on LGBT people and President Barack Obama's recent backing of marriage equality.

"God is systematically destroying America," McTernan writes. "Just look at what has happened this year."

Calling Sandy "the most powerful hurricane on record" that "could do catastrophic damage to the entire Northeast," McTernan adds, "Obama is 100 percent behind the Muslim Brotherhood which has vowed to destroy Israel and take Jerusalem. Both candidates are pro-homosexual and are behind the homosexual agenda. America is under political judgment and the church does not know it!"

In a second blog titled "Hurricane Sandy and the Election," he said of Romney, "Yes, he is a big time pro-homosexual supporter to the point he will keep open homosexuality in the military; he wants homosexuals in the Boy Scouts; and he wants more open homosexuals in the Republican Party."

Earlier this year, McTernan similarly linked Hurricane Isaac with the LGBT community, pointing to the fact that the life-threatening storm coincided with Southern Decadence, New Orleans' "Gay Mardi Gras."

"New Orleans is still hosting Southern Decadence with open homosexuality manifesting in the streets of the city," he wrote in a blog. "It could be that God is putting an end to this city and its wickedness. The timing of Hurricane Isaac with Southern Decadence is a sign that God’s patience with America’s sin is coming to an end."

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Looked at the radar.. the map showed damaging winds north of Portland, Maine heading toward Vermont.
Jersey, New York and Delaware seem to be at the bottom end of it all.

Pittsburgh is getting hit right now.
We've got a hot mess of snow and freezing rain heading in this direction.
The winds are gusting to 50 mph.

mess.jpg

mess2.jpg

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
LOVE is hearing the sump pump cycling on and off during this storm. A welcome sound when the wind wakes you up at 2:30 a.m.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Blinding snow here this morning. Supposed to change to rain by 9am. The ground temp is above freezing so at least the snow is not sticking to the ground or roads. It's been raining now for 4 days straight and supposed to continue through tomorrow.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First light shows things are OK here. Creek is flowing strong but staying within the banks. Basement is dry and so far (from the confines of the house), I don't see any trees down.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Things appear to be intact here as well. Have not ventured out of the house yet. Sure blew a lot last night and made it hard to sleep.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We didn't even lose power, still gotta worry about the wind and the trees though! The one time I actually go out of my way to get ready (Usually caught off guard like this Summer), nothing happens ........... I'm so use to fighting a generator to start or low on fuel and booze!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad to here that some of you didn't have much damage or lose power so far. I have been following the reports since last night and amazed at how so many have been effected by this storm & its not even close to being over yet. :sad:

Ya'll stay safe and you will be in our thoughts and prayers. :flowers:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We are fine here. I get to start on the garage door changes for the wheel chair access from the house.

Killingsly CT will have Halloween after all. Combined with no school.

The kids are happy about that.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Dodged a bullet up here as well. Highest recorded wind gust on my property was only 41 MPH. I record worse than that during a summer T-storm. Less than an inch of rain, but I did set a new record with the lowest barometric pressure in the short time I've been recording that. 29.22 inches. Barometer is back on the rise now.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been blowing, raining and snowing since late last night.
Right now there is a dusting of patchy snow on the ground, with a mix of everything coming down.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Other than an abundance of puddles everywhere things here are just fine. I was sweating the greenhouses they way thing were flying around last night but no broken windows or roof panels. Neighbor says his back pond is filled up and overflowing and the spring is now running strong. So some good comes out of all this mess.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
looks clear. jus' took a peek & there's so many leaves, is rainy here & there, & i'm shiverin'. so we fared rather well, i say.

Gatorboy

Lost power for about 6 hours yesterday evening. Used generator to backfeed into house. 8.5-inches of rain since 7a yesterday and it's still raining. Sump pump running often.