• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ingratitude, Thy Name Is South Korea

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Amen . . . we need to get out of there.

http://www.dennisprager.com/columns...6db0&url=ingratitude,_thy_name_is_south_korea

Ingratitude, Thy Name Is South Korea

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

South Korea has joined with only two other countries in the world in dropping the name of the forthcoming film "Captain America" and using the subtitle, "The First Avenger." The other two countries are Russia and Ukraine. According to the New York Times report, "Although that country (South Korea) is one of Hollywood's top-performing territories, resentment about the continued presence of the United States military runs deep." For years now, I have intended to write a column about the most glaring case of international ingratitude of which I am aware. The "Captain America" story has finally pushed me over the edge.
For decades, there have been anti-U.S. demonstrations in South Korea. And each time I wonder the same thing: Do these people have any idea what the living hell known as North Korea is like? Do these people understand that the United States is the reason they are so free and prosperous, completely unlike their fellow North Koreans who had the horrible luck not to be liberated by America? Do these people know how many Americans died to enable them to be free?
Whenever I confront someone who claims that America's wars abroad were fought for economic gain or to extend its alleged imperialist empire, I ask the person about the Korean War: What imperialist or economic reasons were there to fight in that country?
The answer I most often receive is, "Frankly I don't know too much about the Korean War." And it's a good thing for the critics of America's wars that they don't know much about the Korean War. If they did, they would either experience cognitive dissonance or have to severely modify their position on America's wars.
Just five years after a war-weary America celebrated the end of World War II, Americans were asked to fight the successor-evil to Nazism, communism, in Korea, a country most Americans could not identify on a map or did not know anything about. In an earlier version of what happened in Vietnam, the Soviet Union and China backed a communist attempt to take over the southern half of the Korean peninsula -- the northern half had been communist since the end of World War II -- and install a Stalinist tyranny over the non-communist southern half.
Over 36,000 Americans died in America's successful attempt to keep South Korea from becoming communist. And another 92,000 were wounded.
So, forgive me for the contempt I feel for South Koreans who demonstrate against the United States and for the two-thirds of South Koreans who, according to a 2002 Gallup-Korea poll, view the United States unfavorably. Whenever I see those anti-American demonstrators or read such polls, all I can think about are the tens of thousands of Americans who died so that South Koreans would not live in the communist hell their fellow Koreans live in.
Younger South Koreans want American troops to leave their country? Do these young people not know that on planet Earth no other country suffers the mass enslavement, mass incarceration, mass death or the deadening of the mind and soul that North Koreans endure because of the psychopaths who run that country?
And if they do know all this about North Korea, how do they explain why South Korea is so different?
Here is a suggestion: The South Korean government should conduct a national plebiscite on whether America should withdraw its troops from that country. Before the South Korean people vote, the United States should make it clear that if it withdraws its troops and North Korea later invades the South, we will send no troops to die again for South Korea -- but we will vote to condemn North Korea's aggression at the United Nations.
If a majority of the South Korean people wants us to leave, we should.
The beauty of such a plebiscite is that if a majority of the South Korean people wants American troops out, we have no moral obligation to stay there. And if a majority wants us to stay, the South Korean left and other ingrates in that country should shut up.
I have been to South Korea, and I live in a community with many Koreans. I have always admired their industriousness, work ethic and strong families. But South Korea is surely the most ungrateful country in the world. Which is all the more remarkable since it is also the luckiest.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have only seen my dad cry once. And if you cried in his presence he usually gave you the "Stop Crying or I Will Give You Something To Cry About" saying.

The only time he cried was while watching the Olympics while in Korea when the people were burning the American Flag.

Yes get our people out of there and all other places. Build our own arsenal back up to protect ourselves.

Lia

Banned
Here is a suggestion: The South Korean government should conduct a national plebiscite on whether America should withdraw its troops from that country. Before the South Korean people vote, the United States should make it clear that if it withdraws its troops and North Korea later invades the South, we will send no troops to die again for South Korea -- but we will vote to condemn North Korea's aggression at the United Nations.

Demmed right! Good post!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Stop the foreign aid to these countries as well. Taking dollars we borrow from the Chinese to give away to other countries is part of the reason we have our current mess. When you add up the trade imbalances it does make one wonder just what the hell were we thinking. We have built China into the global powerhouse that it is with our greed for cheap products and also support a major part of the Korean economy. These other countries need to start funding their own security and not rely on the American taxpayers.:hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stop the foreign aid to these countries as well. Taking dollars we borrow from the Chinese to give away to other countries is part of the reason we have our current mess. When you add up the trade imbalances it does make one wonder just what the hell were we thinking. We have built China into the global powerhouse that it is with our greed for cheap products and also support a major part of the Korean economy. These other countries need to start funding their own security and not rely on the American taxpayers.:hammer:

Exactly. They should pay us to be there. If they don't want us there, quit paying.

We needed all these satellite bases for US security in the 50's and 60's so that we could reach out and touch China or Russia if they had attacked. Today's weapons do not require all these satellite bases to defend ourselves so all should be closed unless the foreign country wants and pays for our forces to be there.

Lia

Banned
Exactly. They should pay us to be there. If they don't want us there, quit paying.

We needed all these satellite bases for US security in the 50's and 60's so that we could reach out and touch China or Russia if they had attacked. Today's weapons do not require all these satellite bases so all should be closed unless the foreign country wants and pays for our forces to be there.

Doc, I heartily concur with everything you say, with just one small reservation… Lets just take South Korea as an example, but change it to a hypothetical: What if that country, South Korea, could not afford to pay us for our presence there, and so the North were able to invade. Wouldn’t that engender a bigger enemy that could strike at us?

Just thinking out loud here… :unsure:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Why do we have to be the cops? Korea is not a threat to us. Never will be. Unless we have panzies in the WH and Congress.

oh, wait, never mind........

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Doc, I heartily concur with everything you say, with just one small reservation… Lets just take South Korea as an example, but change it to a hypothetical: What if that country, South Korea, could not afford to pay us for our presence there, and so the North were able to invade. Wouldn’t that engender a bigger enemy that could strike at us?

Just thinking out loud here… :unsure:
I do feel that is a valid concern but like Fred said, we can no longer police the world and protect those who might be overrun. With the way things are going if we continue to provide this 'protection' it could very well be at the cost of our own demise.