• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Steering

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
On the snowcat in the other thread about the 1958 Utah Scientific 4T Trackmaster, I noticed that this machine has what appears to be two differentials in the rear (drive end). Obviously these are not differentials, but just ring and pinion sets.

On these type of drives is steering done with differential clutching like in the old style tracked tractors??

I love the mechanical engineering on these machines. :smile:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup... as reused from the tractor world... Dana rear ends meet dual shaft power divider....

Attachments

• TM_PlanView.jpg
    TM_PlanView.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 319

berg

If it's just two separate ring and pinions.... how do they stop one side independently?...........is there a clutch set up at the power divider that releases?... or some kind of braking system... where does the energy go?
not understanding how differential clutching works.........also I assume there is no link at the rear between the two diffs?( figure 1) above.

Attachments

• 4T10_Nice_Tail.jpg
    4T10_Nice_Tail.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 251

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
correct, no link...that is just a physical connector.
The power divider has 24 clutch disks that comprise 3 banks for different speeds ...high, medium, low speed for each side. So, two levers, 4 disks per speed for each of the 3 speeds... 3 speeds per side. These were adopted from the old brake-steer tractors which is where a person gets parts for these puppies.
Next year they went to the differential in the rear with the single shaft... tomelroy just finished replacing some of the fiber disks and metal dividers... tomelroy, did you take any photos?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The power divider has 24 clutch disks that comprise 3 banks for different speeds ...high, medium, low speed for each side. So, two levers, 4 disks per speed for each of the 3 speeds... 3 speeds per side.

So, these three stages of clutching allow for a calculated amount of slip?

I'd love to see a picture of this power divider or maybe a drawing like what you posted on the overall chassis.

I thought that is would be simpler, with clutches to either engage or disengage each side, then a brake to slow each side. This thing sounds extremely complex.