• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KT4 Progress

flathorn

Here are some of the photos of the KT4 torn down. Everything is coming apart for rebuild. New Bulkheads have been cut but not installed . Frame has been removed , sandblasted and galvanized. Not much more progress, it is on the back burner. Finishing up some other projects. Will post as I progress, but have a couple of boats and new shop building to finish before much more will be done.Byron

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 328

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice to see some work going on there. There were rumors of a KT4 around here getting a facelift. :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks Great Byron !!!! Can I ask what it cost to galvanize a frame like that ? That is a great idea !!!

Please ! Please keep the pictures coming ! This is going to be a great restore project .
I love your shop !!!!!

flathorn

The blasting and galvanizing was about $250, but I have quite a bit of galvanizing done from time to time on construction projects so when I take them something that is for me personally I think the cut me a "deal".There will be more photos, but they will be a while as this is not a high priority project at the moment. A bridge crane is a very ,very handy tool.

flathorn

The frame was hot dipped. It could be powder coated over. The powder coater is right next door to the galvanizer here. I intend to leave it plain galvanized. I am going to powder coat the frame that carries all the wheels and the wheels though. Most of the suspension parts and arms will also be powder coated. Byron

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you know the price difference between hot dip and thermal diffusion? I would think the diffusion process would be cheaper and it is suppose to be more durable. Anyone here ever had anything galvanized with the thermal diffusion process?

Thermal diffusion galvanizing is a new "green" process which creates a zinc coating metallurgically similar to hot dip galvanizing. Instead of dipping parts in molten zinc, zinc is applied in a powder form with accelerator chemicals. The parts and the zinc compound are sealed in a drum which is rotated in an oven. Due to accelerator chemicals added to the zinc powder, the zinc/iron diffusion (alloying) takes place at a lower temperature than hot dip galvanizing, and results in a more uniform and wear resistant coating. The process also eliminates the need for hazardous caustic, acid, and flux baths required to prepare parts for hot dip galvanizing. The unique crystal structure formed by the process provides a strong bond with paint, powder coating, and rubber overmolding processes.

Galvanization

flathorn

Would think that process would be OK for smaller parts, but probable pretty difficult for large items. Byron

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Flathorn ,
When you get a chance ,I would love to see some additional pictures of that transmission/rearend setup , now that you have it out . It appears that it is connected by a drivwshaft ,not a bell housing . Do you plan to upgrade or change the seating arrangements inside ? I still say that is the coolest looking cat I ever saw !!!You doing a first rate job !:thumb: :applause:

flathorn

Big Al , Here are a couple of photos of the transmission in the KT4. It does not have a bellhousing. It connects with a conventional looking driveline although it is pretty short. As far as seating, I am going to put 3 boat seats across the front. It looks like it may have seated 5 wide in the front , but I would think that would be a little cozy. The nose sure looks like it is begging for a big smiley face painted across it. Did you tell your friend about my KT3 for sale?
Have a nice vacation and send back some sun. Byron

Attachments

• IMG_0512-1.JPG
    IMG_0512-1.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0513-1.JPG
    IMG_0513-1.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 264

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bryon,
Yes I did mention in to him that it is for sale . He has not got back to me yet . He is my Doctor in town . I'll keep you advised .
Thanks for the picture !

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The OC 4 is not considered a heavy duty transmission, so it is not really good for pushing or pulling heavy loads. It is perfectly good for use in a snowcat where transportation is the primary use. The early model Thiokol Spryte (A model) used these same transmissions and many were used for grooming but Thiokol upgraded the transmission in later models; don't mount a front blade and haul a drag behind you and you will fine.

flathorn

Would it handle a sled with maybe 2000# load? We pretty often pull 1000# behind our snow machines on the way out to our cabin. What is the weak link in the OC4? Byron

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
YUP no problem. That machine is light to begin with. In an application like a Thiokol1202 with a blade then that would be bad. But in your applications its not a problem. Small and light is better than big and heavy where an OC4 is concerned. PLUS now you know what it is. You can get parts. Internal at least. Axles may or may not be standard. I suspect they are not.